• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seppo Paju Vlog: Backhand Form Breakdown | S3E20

It looks like he is a fan of the Will Schusterick standstill.

There's some differences. Seppo sets up in a really wide stance and stays inside his rear foot and just rocks back and bounces back forward, and he doesn't stride front foot, guessing he would if he wanted more power. I'm not sure how Will is able to make it back after leaning back past rear foot, guessing his upper body weighing nothing makes it a lot easier.

giphy.gif

I see same thing happening here:

Leverage you can apply in this position is not big, but still something, so you can build up momentum. Also there's no time constraints in case of disc golf or shot putt, no incoming ball for example that you have to be ready for (would not have time for relatively slow momentum buildup).

I'm not sure how Will is able to make it back after leaning back past rear foot, guessing his upper body weighing nothing makes it a lot easier.

Either Seppo has form dialed in naturally or he didn't want to over complicate it, I don't know. I feel like he phoned it in on a great opportunity to spell out the fundamentals.

He's got a great big platform to reach a big audience, and I would have liked to see him do some in depth analysis.

I'm guessing it's a little of both, plus the language barrier, that kept him from going deeper. The more I hear pros talk about form the more I'm convinced a lot of it comes naturally.

I love studying Seppo because I don't feel like he hides any of the form with his style. Paul looks so smooth it's almost harder to see what's happening. Seppo is pure.

Simon talks about a "rubber band" effect you get from reaching back far... I wonder if Seppo gets some sort of similar boost from the feeling you get when you "reach back" like him and you can sort of attach your arm to the downward feeling you get as you get closer and closer to the ground from the hop.

I don't know if I'm making sense to anyone there...

Last edited:
I think he understands it more intuitively and just has trouble communicating it effectively, along with some language barriers too although his English is very good.

I was glad to see this form breakdown. As far as I know Seppo doesn't have this much form breakdown in Finnish. His form is so smooth. Nice to see him throwing!

I'm wondering whats the purpose of this video. Are we supposed to get something out of it or is it just entertainment? In learning perspective it's like a 30 year old explaining how to ride a bike to a 4 year old. Everything about bicycling is obvious and automatic to someone who has been riding for decades but its not the same for a toddler. I think the best teachers that I know like RandyC & co are the ones who really understand what the hard part is and how to tackle it. I have nothing against Seppo or other pros doing their stuff but I'm wondering why are these so popular and liked. What do people really get out of them?

I'm wondering whats the purpose of this video. Are we supposed to get something out of it or is it just entertainment? In learning perspective it's like a 30 year old explaining how to ride a bike to a 4 year old. Everything about bicycling is obvious and automatic to someone who has been riding for decades but its not the same for a toddler. I think the best teachers that I know like RandyC & co are the ones who really understand what the hard part is and how to tackle it. I have nothing against Seppo or other pros doing their stuff but I'm wondering why are these so popular and liked. What do people really get out of them?

Yes. It's pretty clear that being a pro and throwing 600 feet does not make you a good teacher. Some people have a lot of trouble understanding that. Drew's video with Brodie proves that too.

It's also hard to understand that some dude on the internet might have more form knowledge than almost anyone else on earth. We all know who I'm talking about lol

It's also hard to understand that some dude on the internet might have more form knowledge than almost anyone else on earth. We all know who I'm talking about lol

I assume your referring to Bradley here. If you ignore his a bit edgy person you can see that he is clearly on a mission from teaching perspective. I see his provocative style as trying to shake up the field on purpose. Coaches often are persons. I'd probably not hire him if i was trying to go from 400 to 500 but I totally see the value of his stuff from the perspective of the average 300 all arm joe. In the end its inevitably about the results which in this case are pretty hard to measure. Though my personal opinion is that especially beginners and people with poor body awareness learn quicker with simple advice. I'm a living example of how over complicating things did not work.

I assume your referring to Bradley here. If you ignore his a bit edgy person you can see that he is clearly on a mission from teaching perspective. I see his provocative style as trying to shake up the field on purpose. Coaches often are persons. I'd probably not hire him if i was trying to go from 400 to 500 but I totally see the value of his stuff from the perspective of the average 300 all arm joe. In the end its inevitably about the results which in this case are pretty hard to measure. Though my personal opinion is that especially beginners and people with poor body awareness learn quicker with simple advice. I'm a living example of how over complicating things did not work.

Uhhhh... no....

Bradley does all sorts of damage whether his intentions are good or not. On top of that he's a narcissist.

I was talking about SW because he's the god damn Form Engineer. On top of that he's a nice dude.

My natural form from decades of Ultimate and beach/freestyle throwing is very similar to Paju, and I keep getting pulled back to the notion of going back to it after a few years of playing and completely changing my form to the more classic reachback/pull straight/ pull close/hand outside form. I find that i get about the same distance and accuracy with my natural form as I do with the "classic" form but I don't have to think so much about all the technical details with my natural form. But I stick with classic form because I surmise that I'll never throw as far with natural form--then I see how Paju gets so much power and snap using his weight shift and wonder yet again...

I was talking about SW because he's the god damn Form Engineer. On top of that he's a nice dude.

SW has been breaking down the kinematics and mechanics of technique and form for so long, that at this point I'm not sure he can even watch someone throw without seeing stick figures and relative angles in his mind.

And yes, he really is a nice guy.

And Creeping Creek is a fun place to play a glow round.

My natural form from decades of Ultimate and beach/freestyle throwing is very similar to Paju, and I keep getting pulled back to the notion of going back to it after a few years of playing and completely changing my form to the more classic reachback/pull straight/ pull close/hand outside form. I find that i get about the same distance and accuracy with my natural form as I do with the "classic" form but I don't have to think so much about all the technical details with my natural form. But I stick with classic form because I surmise that I'll never throw as far with natural form--then I see how Paju gets so much power and snap using his weight shift and wonder yet again...

You can do Seppo's backswing if you want to! Extending your elbow tends to have what many people (and Simon Lizotte) describe as a "rubber-band effect" that certainly feels powerful when you do it. However, Seppo is using gravity to his advantage in more ways than one (his weight shift and his up-to-down backswing). He's one of my personal favorite examples of a backhand and can throw B O M B S.