• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Shark vs. Rat vs. Zone

Evan27

Bogey Member
Can someone who has thrown at least two of these say something for how they are different? I know they are similar, but if there is any small difference between them, I would like to know what they are exactly. I already have a G-star Shark (180g), and I'm looking between the Innova Rat and JB Zone, both at max weight. Thanks!

Hi Evan, I will bite here... But I'm sure others will weigh in with more experience with these discs.

First off I've only thrown a shark once or twice, quite some time ago, so I have no wisdom to share there except I don't remember it being very similar to a Zone.

To me at lower power a Rat and a Zone act somewhat similar, but as you lean into them more the differences become more pronounced.

At higher power, the Rat straightens out for me and does not have a strong fade at the end of the flight. Most fresh Zones have a VERY pronounced fade even at higher power.

You can probably beat a Jawbreaker Zone in to be a Rat. Rat and Zone feel very similar in hand. If you want a zone flight out of Innova mids, grab a Gator.

Zero experience with a Shark.

I tried the Rat out once and still have it in the box of discs that I don't throw.

The Rat isn't a bad disc but it definitely isn't a Zone. For me the Rat was hard to dial in the distance because it has more glide than advertised and the fade is gradual and forward pushing compared to something like a Zone or Harp or Pig.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for it to do for you but I'd say the Zone and Rat aren't really that similar.

Obviously I can't compare it to the Shark since I have no experience with it.

I've thrown all three.

Shark: Straight to fade beadless midrange. Usually somewhat domey, not a great forehand disc. This is probably more of a workhorse midrange disc.

Zone: Turn resistant approach disc. Heavy fade, a lot of ground play in most plastics. More overstable than the Shark, likely the best disc in this spot that exists in my opinion. Perfect for forehand and backhand approaches. Buy this one.

Rat: Another iteration in Innova's many failed attempts to replicate the Zone. Innova has tons of great discs, but they don't have a Zone. The Rat feels identical to the Zone in the hand, but it is much less turn resistant and much less overstable than the Zone. You could use this as a "broken in Zone", or you could just pick up a Jawbreaker Zone along with your premium Zone.

Tl;dr BUY A ZONE

Also no experience with a Shark.

Zones are classified as a putter, but in my experience if you have decent power a Zone is going to fly more like an overstable midrange. They fly really far for a "putter" when thrown by an experienced player They are very reliable and can withstand a lot of torque, even if you have some wobble on the release. Even when thrown with less power they are useful and I think any player would benefit from having one in the bag.

The rat feels like a midrange that will fly pretty straight and fade out a little bit at the end, but they don't hold the line like a Zone does when thrown with power.

Also no experience with a Shark or Rat. I bag Zones though. The closest discs I've personally thrown by Innova to a Zone are an AviarX3 and a Pig. I never clicked with the AviarX3, but I didn't mind the Pig.

I thought the Rat was kind of a Zone clone. Or was supposed to be. Ricky throws Pigs the way others would use a Zone. Basically replaced his Harp, which is more like a mid IMO.

The correct answer is to find the right plastic for your needs and get a Zone in that plastic.

Thanks for the replies thus far. To restate, the Rat will as much as a Zone during low power throws, but if thrown harder the Rat straightens out/only fades at the end while if the Zone was thrown hard it would have a healthy dose of fade.

Honestly I'm leaning more towards a Rat right now and here is why. My shark is a fine disc for sticking a landing on a slopped green and short approaches but has been inconsistent between 100-200ft, which I attribute to the rim shape. Zone and Rat both feel great in the hand.

Previously I had been set on a JB Zone but I think a Rat will cover that spot in my bag now. That is because over 150 ft. I prefer to power down my banshee on approaches. The shots I am looking for in this midrange are something that can fade under 150 ft and be straight from 150-200. If the Rat performs low power fades and stays straight at higher power shots then I think that is a match. [I know 150-200ft doesn't seem high power for a midrange but with shots over 200 I'm more consistent with FW or DR]

And btw...Merry Christmas everybody.

Reiterating what others said, the Shark is a workhorse mid (Star beats in to straight, DX beats in to understable), but not really for approaches.

I've used 2 different Zones for approaches, but they don't work as well for me personally, since I like throwing more straight upshots. I prefer the Axiom Envy, which flies fairly straight with a reliable fade at the end, and is surprisingly turn resistant at high speed

What are the ground rules?

Mmmm, nevermind, the zone wins this battle no matter what. Probably even with its hand tied around its back.

I bagged the Shark and Zone for awhile. They compliment each other well so I feel like you could find uses for both...

The Shark is essentially a beadless Roc. Very user friendly. Good for approaches and loooooong putts. I like them for backhands and overhands. They have a nice straight flight with a predictable finish. You can season them enough to have them finish straight or turnover.

The Zone has less glide and more fade. They are workable for big hyzers, controlled flex lines, and fighting the wind. They can handle more torque than a Shark and really shine as a touch forehand disc.

The g-star shark will have the straightest flight of the three, and should just be considered a separate entity. It will do things the others can't. In the Rat vs Zone battle. Zone. The Rat just doesn't have enough handle, and feels too thin to me if it expects me to forehand it as much as I do the Zone, or an x3.

The Rat is going to fly like a shorter less glidey Shark. The Zone will be more stable new, but can beat into a Rat flight as well. You could legitimately bag all 3.

Am I not confused?

no, because DJ is right. Shark is a good disc for approaches and longer putts. I use the Rat when the approach is one I want sink a little faster. I bag them both fairly regularly, Shark in DX, Rat in Star. no experience with a Zone.

Last edited: