• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes for wide feet

weedjj

Bogey Member
Hey all,

I am in need of some new disc golf shoes and have been reading every thread I can find on shoes. The issue is that I have wide feet. Right now my everyday shoe is a wide merrill moab which I love and are really comfortable. It's my second pair and for everyday and versatile use, they are great. However, I don't think I want to use them as my disc golf shoes. They don't seem to be as rugged as Keens or such. I have tried Keens after hearing they run wide, and although they are closer than other brands, they are still a little snug on the sides. So, I really need a brand that actually has a wider width.

I was frustrated yesterday while going from store to store with nobody having any brands that come in widths other than Keens. Do they exist? What do you wide foot people wear? I am getting ready to just use my Merrills and hope they hold up. Someone mentioned Timberlands or something like that. Just interterested to hear from other people out there in the same boat as me. Thanks!!

I can't really help you except that I have wide feet too and when I wear a bigger sized normal shoe vs a wider appropriate sized shoe I get some gnarly callouses on the balls of my plant foot and the side of my plant foot big toe.

Suprisingly enough the best shoes I've gotten for disc golf have been from Shoes for Crews at my last job. They had a pair of non skid hiking boots in wide sizes that were definately the best shoes I've ever owned. Plus they're non slip, and that to my suprise works pretty good in grass too.

I hate to say it but your best bet might be some cheap skater shoes that you can replace frequently if needed. They're fairly grippy and usually are wider and more padded than normal shoes.

Lowa Renegade 2 GTX lo. They also come without the Gore Tex.

For those that buy larger sizes and get callouses what kind of additional soles, heel bits and other mods have you tried? Once the foot can't move in the shoe the callouses stop forming. Also a liner sock helps in the friction being more between the sock and the shoe rather than the sock and the skin.

I got Adidas Meduro 3 on sale and can't say yet about traction on tall grass or wet surfaces. They don't have a lot of 3 d sole but are good for hard surfaces. They are soft on the inside and the sole is still rigid enough to not squash under the foot with full power run ups. They won't twist the ankles for sure and are super nice against the foot despite being a little too large for width of the foot issues. I can lace it tight and stop the foot from moving in the shoe. Very comfy shoes when it ain't wet.

I'm a 4E. I used to wear a lot of New Balance (usually trail runners), but lately they seem to be making them narrower so I haven't found any I like. I like Keens for casual shoes, but I have peeled the sole off my Keen Arroyos dragging my foot playing DG. Also found some of the Keen shoes/boots to lack stability and be prone to ankle rolling. I peeled the sole off of Lowa boots too. Currently having good success with wide Merrell Ventilators. I wasn't sure I liked them at first, but they turned out to grip surprisingly well in a variety of conditions. Came with a crappy insole that needed to be swapped out though. I've had very good luck with wide Vasque Clarion boots over the years when I need waterproof and/or ankle protection.

Duck feet are awesome. Until you need to put shoes on them.

I am also a 4E in NB sneakers. I love my wide Merrils, so I am just going to stick with those for the meantime. They are great all around shoes, just doubting how long they will last playing DG, but after looking and asking around, it doesnt seem like I have a whole lot of options. Just hoping more companies will start making wide versions of their shoes

Latest posts