• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes or Cleats

I get about 6-7 months out of a pair of Keens before I wear a hole through the toe on my pivot foot. I was using Nike cross trainers before, they were lasting about a month.

I would recommend:
Sturdy running shoes
Anything with a Vibram sole
Not wearing cleats unless there is a ton of snow or you intentionally want to rip up the tees

During an ice bowl I recently played in, it just happened to be one of the three days it snowed here in delaware. My buddies and I were all standing around talking about which shoes would be best. The course has some slick brick teepads that are hagard in when wet. WELL, Mike Moser is in our local club. Much to our surprise, he came in cleats. And won. By about 9 strokes. I would suggest cleats for fresh/current snowfall/rain/mud. Also i would suggest being Mike Moser. That dude is good.

Moser wore them when they did the opening for the Canby course as well...I remember watching him not slip at all and half of us were on our azzes on some spots of the course...very muddy.

Trail Running shoes...a good pair

they are designed to give you grip on natural uneven surfaces while you are athletically engaged

I use Salomons

never had a grip problem
never had a blowout problem

I wouldn't recommend FiveTen shoes. They're a rock climbing company and make nice sticky soles but they are know for wearing out really quickly. Great rock climbing shoes though. I've been using Columbia hiking shoe for over 2 years now and I play/hike twice a week in the winter time and daily summer through fall. (Benifits to living in a National Forrest) They have nice padding around the ankle as well and are super comfy. The soles are just now wearing down so I'm looking for another pair. If I had know they would last this long I would have bought two pairs.

Salomons are good. I have the Northface goretex shoes. but if you can buy them at REI. then you never have to buy a second pair.

Save your money on Gortex shoes and buy Goretex socks instead. Shoes will leak eventually and are heavier. I just bought a pair of Montrail Racer's...light as a feather and breathable. will feel great in the summertime heat.

The coil style ones wont do enough I wouldn't think, and the spikes would be way too grippy.

I have a pair for ice fishing i used this winter a few times

s7_831265_imageset_01

They work well but not on the pads. I liked them for the grass areas.

i love my goretex shoes. i dont need specialty socks. regular inexpensive socks work just fine. and if the shoes leak, I get a new pair, for free.

I've tried FiveTen Tennie. I play about 20 rounds a month. They have lasted about 2 months before the toe wore through. The FiveTen was grippy on the tee pad but slippery on wet ground. The tread is almost completly gone now ( 2mos of wear).

I'm now trying out some addidas tennis shoes I found for $25 at an outlet store. So far (about 5 rounds in) they're like the Five Ten, grippy on concrete, and slick on wet ground.
Tennie? Don't recall the model, but the Impacts were made for downhill mountain biking, so they are pretty beefy/stiff at first.

Hmmmm, I gave a pair to my GF's son who lives up in WA (Tacoma area) and he's had them for over 4 months and loves the grip on the pads and hasn't worn through the toe yet. He didn't complain about slipping off of the teepad, but alot of the courses I've played up there are in a park like setting. Ya there isn't much to the sole for this shoe (lugs), but their approach shoes have a pretty agressive tread pattern.

Peace!

Merrell Moab Vents are the way to go,i've had them 7ish months by now probably and have put in at least 200 rounds since that time...brand new outward appearance, they also wash and dry extremely easily, just need to get some new inserts for them and you would think they were new.

I wont use cleats. I use indoor soccer shoes though. Adidas Samba's usually. And just buy a 4$ tube of Shoe Goo, anything that happens to the shoe on the tee, can be fixed overnight!

Trail Running shoes...a good pair

they are designed to give you grip on natural uneven surfaces while you are athletically engaged

I use Salomons

never had a grip problem
never had a blowout problem

I tried my NB trail runners but the soles are so slippery when there's any dew or moisture on the grass. I stick to an old pair of Merrell hiking shoes. They're beat to crap so I don't care if they get muddy, but still have great grip all around.

I wear these. Nike ACG air windtrail. I have had them since mid summer last year, and have used them for about 50 rounds and they have very little wear.

They have great traction in all terrain, and I haven't had any problems off the tees. I'm pretty sure I payed around $50.

nike-acg-air-wildtrail-soft-grey-white-orange-blaze-01.jpg

I use a pair of high-rise chuck taylors. When those aren't an option on muddy days, I go with my 10 year old air of Coleman waterproof boots. Lately I've favored Chaco's as well.

Its fairly simple. DON'T buy shoes with inverted tread, like a car or bicycle road tire---they're okay on the pads, but fairly useless on grass, and downright dangerous on mud or hills. Buy shoes with tread like an off-road vehicle or mt. bike, heavily lugged.

Also i would suggest being Mike Moser. That dude is good.
QFT! He is crazy good. I like how he put 20' wide natural tees at Carousel. I know he wears cleats at Patapsco, and I think Seneca as well even with concrete tees. He puts a towel on the pad though. My knee hurts watching him not pivot tough. :gross:

I wear keen targhee's and don't have much slippage issues or jamming pivots. I value what's left of my knee too much to wear cleats playing disc golf.