• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short putting practice

I usually stand on my back porch and close my eyes and blindly toss 5-6 identical putters out in the yard (in the general direction of the basket). Then I walk up to each one and go through my whole routine. It feels more authentic to me not really knowing where the disc will land and my lies are not always optimal (behind trees, in bushes, etc), since in a round I don't always have a perfect lie. This forces different stances (straddle, knees, occasional turbo). If I miss, I have to make the comeback putt, so I mix in some "gimme" putts too.

As far as time goes, I do this whenever I have a couple minutes. In 10 min, you can do it at least 2 times.

I'm not saying your way is wrong but when I played baseball we practiced by hitting 100 pitches at a time, back to back to back so more than one shot has nothing to do with whether you get better at putting/hitting or not. I personally have a stack of 10 discs I put with. I use this as well to make a "game" out of it.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62127&highlight=pressure+putting+practice

i think that method works well for developing muscle memory, which is important if you are a new player or changing to a different putting style.

but for players that have a set technique and routine, practicing the routine and mental flow is the important part. most people do not have the mental discipline to practice with a stack of 10 because you inevitably put less emphasis on each one.

the important part is - do what works for you. if the practice time you put in translates to better scores and consistency on the course (both casual and tourney) then keep doing it. that's all that matters.

i think that method works well for developing muscle memory, which is important if you are a new player or changing to a different putting style.

but for players that have a set technique and routine, practicing the routine and mental flow is the important part. most people do not have the mental discipline to practice with a stack of 10 because you inevitably put less emphasis on each one.

the important part is - do what works for you. if the practice time you put in translates to better scores and consistency on the course (both casual and tourney) then keep doing it. that's all that matters.

I agree that can happen (under-emphasizing multiple shots) but when you only have 10 minutes to work with I think most players could "focus" well for that amount of time. If it were me I would try to find a way to get at least 20 minutes or more that I could devote to practicing. I know people's lives are packed but 10 minutes is a very short period of time to work with. Keep practicing!:D..........jbz

I like stevo's method.

I generally stay within 20 feet or so when im practicing, but most of my practicing is right before rounds when im waiting for people to get there or for league to start, so i use it more as a confidence thing. I generally don't miss at that range.

But if i had a basket in the yard and it was just a random day i would move around some maybe not as methodical as some of these guys but definitely find what distances I am 90% gonna make and where the cut off is before I need to just lay up. Then i would practice those near the line and try to get the % of makes higher.

I say use as many putters as you want and do what previous posters have said: starting closer and move further back when you make all of them in a row.

This method will allow you to get more putts in a shorter time period, while still making each shot mean something.

You will also have to choose an amount of discs that you will be able to sink consecutively in order to get some longer putts in. I guess this would mean that if you need to work on shorter putts more, you could use more discs, and if you want to work on longer putts you would use less discs.

D

20 to 30 feet. that's the range that wins you games.

true. and work on as many lines/stances as possible inside that distance.

in-line, straddle, hyzer, anhyzer, lob, from a knee, flick anhyzer, turbo, flip putt, tomahawk, etc.

Latest posts