• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I spend my money on a Katana?

Too bad they're so much more expensive.

My experience: I have 2 Pros. One is 171 and the other is 175. The 171 flies great for me and I throw the 175 into the ground almost every time (turn it over way too soon). I throw about 250-280 with a Destroyer (throwing forehand). With the Katana I have been getting 280-320. So I got some improvement. My brother (throws 300-350 with a Boss) had the 2 Katanas do the same thing for him. My wife throws a Starfire about 180-220 forehand, but it is real beat in and does a big S-curve. The Katana was about the same distance, maybe a little longer, but not near the curve. However, she always did better with the heavier one.

On a side note: All three of us threw a Force and a Nuke about the same.

they work differently for people with varying arm speeds. I use the star for shots that finish right or shots with less power, but I am consistently throwing over 400' with my drives so I am probably flipping them more. Even though they are flippy, I can still get them to fade back left with the proper angle of release. If I were using them for max distance, I think I would stick with the champ.

I prefer the Nuke for distance

Katana is pretty understable, but I do see a lot of extra D when I get a hold of it. It's not something I would even think about in a head wind, but in a tail wind, sure.

I'm able to throw it flat and it will do a nice long S turn. It's fast as anything I've thrown. I find that I go to it over my Star Wraith these days. But again, not in a head wind. I usually go Boss in that situation.

I think I might give the Nuke a try. I've heard it's a little more stable than the Katana and very quick. I've seen some very impressive throws with that disc. When I throw it wrong (with some anny) I yank the crap out of it and it goes hard right.

BTW I am talking about a 175 R-Pro katana.

Overall, worth picking one up to give it a try.

Latest posts