• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show us your bag mods!

I've done the plastidip mod as well, works like a charm.

Here is an idea I've been mulling over, but I'm not creative enough to think of the best way to do it myself. But here is the general idea: Those camptime stools that more and more people are carrying around, I've been thinking of a way to attach it to the bag, so that it doesn't have to be carried by hand. The catch though is that there would need to be a way to detach/reattach it VERY quickly, as taking it on and off every time you want to use it would be annoying if you had to wrap a strap around it or something.

Ideas? I was thinking maybe a large strap of industrial velcro? Or maybe a large loop of fabric or plastic that was large enough to let the 3 legs slide through, but just small enough to keep the top portion from sliding all the way down...whaddya think?

yup, i'd go with velcro straps, just like an umbrella holder

or rig it to where the stool stays open, hanging from bottom of bag so when you set bag down it sits on the stool

I use my camptime stool often, but I haven't lost patience with carrying the thing around yet. It just doesn't weigh very much at all.

If you could attach the stool to the bag in such a manner that you wouldn't have to remove it for sitting, that would be primo. (coughSimiancough)

ChUcK said:
I use my camptime stool often, but I haven't lost patience with carrying the thing around yet. It just doesn't weigh very much at all.

If you could attach the stool to the bag in such a manner that you wouldn't have to remove it for sitting, that would be primo. (coughSimiancough)

When I had my silverback I used to strap my huklab stool to it so that it would hang off the back from the long straps on the stool. This way I could set the stool up and put the bag on the stool or on the ground next to the stool and not have to unhook it every time. Worked great, but I much prefer the Simian over that rig now.

only mod ive done to my dualpack, is to bend a license plate to fit over the top of the two plastic upright parts of their cage thing so that the top of the bag doesnt droop down into the disc compartment. works great and doesnt add alot of weight.

Ode said:
only mod ive done to my dualpack, is to bend a license plate to fit over the top of the two plastic upright parts of their cage thing so that the top of the bag doesnt droop down into the disc compartment. works great and doesnt add alot of weight.

:shock: Genius! I Can't wait to do this. I took the divider out of my dualpack(never used it so not sure if it helps on this issue) but mine sags like crazy, its the only thing I dont like about my bag.

Ode said:

Not totally clear on this...but would like to be. My bag has a small sagging problem, and have been looking at ways to reinforce it...care to elaborate? Maybe some pics?

For all you guys that did grizzly grip or plastidip, had you used your bag alot before? I ask because I don't have adequate ventilation at my apartment to do the mod so I will have to wait until I can hang it outside or take it to my moms'. If I go playing alot with my bag before this will it make it difficult to apply the waterproofing because of dirt and grime?

I used mine for about a dozen rounds before I sprayed it and it hadn't shown much dirt yet at all. You could probably just wipe it down with a damp cloth to clean it well enough.

lets see,ive been using my simian for about 4-5 months and recently did the plastidip a couple weeks ago. i didnt bother cleaning the dirt and grime off and it had some slight wear on the bottom from use,not much but noticable spurs from the fabric scuffing up. anywho,i sprayed the plasti dip right on it and did a few coats etc and its held up fine so far. the tourney i did this for was muddy and wet and this stuff worked great. none of my socks,scorecards,etc got wet or anything.

2qwoenl.jpg

Well, this is sort of a work in progress. I won this bag as a free-be at a tournament. It's a cooler/backpack (the cooler is on the bottom and keeps your beers cold). I'm debating getting some plastic pipes and making a frame, or buying the revolution cage for the main compartment. I've super glued the zippers on the outer pocket so it fits 2 (sometimes 3 depending on mold) putters perfectly. Right now I just have a block of cardboard, and a towel below the discs you see. It works out really well for what I do. And it was all free.

basically, i measured the distance between the two upright plastic sides of the revo roll cage, measured that onto an old license plate and bent the sides down so that it formed a very shallow U shape to fit over the top of the roll cage. a little tape to hold it to the top of the disc compartment and voila! two bends, a strip of duct tape and 2 minutes of time. id post pics but i dont have access to a camera ATM.

Well, i got a few rounds in with the new bag, and new set of quads - so the mods begin
i figured i'd update my bags pics...

i'll show this first, i know its odd looking but its much easier to slide your 2nd arm in with the lower hookup, unfortunatly i found if i used both lower ones, the bag wanted to tilt, so since it was riding funny, i adjusted to this style
really helps with balance of the bag for the "one strap" carrying method (too lazy to use both every time i guess) which also makes it easy to swing bag to put discs away/grab putter whatever while walking
2qwkfhk.jpg

^^^
oh, the elastic strap on the back serves 2 purposes, it holds the non used clips in place ?? keeps em quiet?? hehe, but it makes for a great sweatshirt holder, its cold out, but when i walk a few holes, i like to shed a layer and it needs a resting place
first thing i noticed was how big a pain it is to pick up the bag when carrying short distances

so, i made a handle, its only supported by the middle string
the 2 on the sides are tied with an elastic cord, keeps the shoulders spread for ease of putting straps on, but more importantly it makes it reachable while wearing the bag, makes taking the bag off so much easier
24pcg0g.jpg

couple times i had this happen while picking bag up from the ground
2q8ssom.jpg

i really like these clips too, its opinion, but i like em better than the carribeaner style
but when i added a peice of rubber hose, i have no more issues, it stays in line, still is "loose" but won't tangle now
these are temporary, i didn't have much laying around, thinkin bout putting a soft piece of hose, like a sleeve over the clasp.... some other time
65qws0.jpg

well, i'm gonna post a few more things in the bag mod thread... but figured i'd chime in here to see if i can spark someone's brain to come up with some more "tweaks"

just to see if i could... heres 25 discs in a fade bag
6 putters 6 mids 13dr, usable...but full - i carry half that...

67msdv.jpg

trying to decide what i want for zipper pulls, fades looked cheap/simple/noisy...
i have a handful of leather string? that i hope on braiding... or somethin - undecided
wanna make one side a set of birdie beads...

a8k9d.jpg

an easy towel clip- reattachin is easy, yanks off in a hurry so its not "tied" down
313tahk.jpg

some other minor things to come... got some great ideas for bigger mods... but not this week

I spent an entire day modding my Carolina, here she goes.

P1015057.jpg

In this picture, you can see that I removed the unnecessary straps that are sewn on next to the D-rings. I never knew what they are supposed to be for. I also added the two snaps there on the shoulders and attached the magnet to the putter pocket. Now, when I'm using the rainflap, it stays put with the magnets and is quieter to open then velcro. Securing the snaps makes the rainfly completely windproof. Also, the clips for the rainfly were removed. Here's a pic with the rainfly down and secured:
P1015056.jpg

P1015058.jpg

The straps I removed from the top of the bag were reused to form the + sign of webbing that everybody wants Revo to fix. I put a beer bottle in the drink holder and shook it all about, no fall-through. You can see that I also removed the umbrella straps, the worst stock feature on the Carolina. I added four feet to the frame where the most friction occurs. They are just on nails that I made red-hot and pushed on through. We'll see how well they hold up, and I have other plans if they fail.

P1015055.jpg

I took an old dog collar and sewed on a chest strap for long hauls. The straps aren't attached to the quads at all, so they can slide out of the way when not in use.

P1015059.jpg

Finally: sound silencing. I used some gaffer tape to cover the only loose metal bits I have left on the bag, the two links. This bag is ninja-quiet now.

The mod for my Gateway Ozark was easy.
1) Open garbage can lid
2) Drop Gateway Ozark in garbage can
3) Replace lid
This mod really pisses me off. I still have my original Gateway backpack after 6 years of tough use, and it looks great. The Gateway Ozark bag ripped across the top of the back after about a dozen rounds. Gateway wouldn't respond to my emails so I had it fixed locally. Used it 2 more rounds and now it has ripped on the side toward the top and it looks like the whole back is going to come off.

Nice work there, Chuck. I like how you did the strap graft from the "wtf loops" to the drink holders. A couple questions...what did you use for the sewing? I've had some things in mind for my bag, but don't think my bachelor's sewing kit is up to stitching through too dense of material. Second, what homework were you procrastinating in the span of applying these mods? :wink:

yep, nice re-use of the wtf-loops... mine went into the trash when i got rid of them. umbrella loops are gone from mine as well. thought about adding some inside pockets but i haven't gotten around to it yet. i've used good old needle and thread for sewing patches on, made me wish for a real man-sized thimble. :lol: