• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simple Weight Shift Exercise

SocraDeez

Par Member
intro
Whoops, the thread title was supposed to be Simple Weight Shift Exercise Super Secret Weight Shift Technique - Do This One Thing to Get Big D! Are you a longtime forum-reader-form-tinkerer who has grown tired of the onslaught of hand-cue debate underpinned by the squabbling of internet form coaches? Well, come on in; the water's fine. Today's subject is footwork.

meat and potatoes
If you've long yearned to nail the disc golf weight shift, try this simple exercise to cop a feel: take whichever leg/foot is the rear one in your disc golf swing, place it in front of you, and turn it 90 degrees so that the toes are pointed out from your body. This foot should now be in front of you and oriented perpendicular to the plant leg foot making an "L" of sorts, and you should be bearing most of your weight on your plant leg (because it is the one most under your center of mass at this point). Now, get off your weight-bearing plant leg by shifting/sinking your weight into the twisted up/preset other foot. You should be irresistibly pulled into a weight shift from the rear leg toward the plant. Voilà - the way your body moved reactively in this exercise is how it feels to move well from rear to plant in the disc golf swing.

outro
From God Shammgod, one of the greatest ball handlers of all-time: "It's all in the footwork! Faster! The hands are an illusion!!!"

shammgod-high-school-br.gif

Last edited:
When I twist it 180 degrees it just points back at me. Am I misunderstanding something here or are you really meaning 90 degrees?

Last edited:
Whoops - yes 90 degrees. Good catch. Will amend post. Here's a sketch. Not sure why the image flipped between image-taking-device and online filehosting site, but crane your neck, I suppose. The general idea is from advanced sprinting theory: most of the "work" of positioning the leg - i.e. "good technique" - takes place in the air prior to the strike. Everything else is reactionary. Also notice how this exercise pulls you off the rear foot into the plant heel-first vs. toe-first and feels pretty lateral, force vector-wise. No forced back thigh rotation/twisting inward. Or at least that's how it works for me. Population of 1 and all that.

IMG-9978.jpg

Last edited:
Whoops - yes 90 degrees. Good catch. Will amend post. Here's a sketch. Not sure why the image flipped between image-taking-device and online filehosting site, but crane your neck, I suppose. The general idea is from advanced sprinting theory: most of the "work" of positioning the leg - i.e. "good technique" - takes place in the air prior to the strike. Everything else is reactionary. Also notice how this exercise pulls you off the rear foot into the plant heel-first vs. toe-first and feels pretty lateral, force vector-wise. No forced back thigh rotation/twisting inward. Or at least that's how it works for me. Population of 1 and all that.

IMG-9978.jpg
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm still not following lol. Maybe cause I'm left handed. But can you add arrows showing target and front of each foot?

Also, is the preset foot moving? I'm trying to picture this but it's not working. Initial weight is the plant foot right? But it doesn't move?

Latest posts