• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skyiron Disc Golf

eegor

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I see the PDGA approved the Skyiron Flagship today... as well as the Vibram Trak.

Does anyone know anything about Skyiron Disc Golf? Anything about this disc?

i cant believe the lack of hype...

these new companies need to take a lesson from Discmania on marketing. before those discs were even released there was a huge buzz about them. this Skyiron, Rip DS and Skyquest (whatever happened to that medusa???) are gonna tank cause they arent marketing themselves. those Rip DS discs i didnt even know about for a month and im a forum hound. thats sad. if i was starting a company id be pushing hard on all the forums.

We're starting to see an over-saturation of new companies. The European companies "made it" because there wasn't much across the pond until recent years.

ABC might have a chance at catching on because they released five molds to get started. MVP and Vibram have caught on because of innovation (gimmick).

These other new companies will have a hard time if they're not up on marketing a multiple line-up or innovation.

It's only going to get harder and harder for new companies to break through and make big sales. But I agree with Smyith, all new companies should be trying to sell their product through the forums and tell us what makes their discs unique and better than the other big companies.

254932_118029638285792_113639608724795_162008_3939261_n.jpg

Linear tooling in the mold. Very interesting.

We're starting to see an over-saturation of new companies. The European companies "made it" because there wasn't much across the pond until recent years.

L64 made it because they started making good to great discs in superior plastic. Their early efforts were pretty rough...and there's piles of first runs laying around to prove it.

Looks like champ plastic, maybe a bit grainier. Between the steel molds and the linear tooling, I don't think they will be all that great. And yeah, Lack of marketing will probably kill this one soon enough.

What's worse is it is just as easy to make professional looking graphics.

I like that skip/rip disc golf dude plenty, but those hand drawn stamp logos are an odd choice at best.

254932_118029638285792_113639608724795_162008_3939261_n.jpg

Linear tooling in the mold. Very interesting.

I'm surprised at how visible the milling witness marks are. I don't know that I've ever noticed that on any other discs.

Just from a manufacturing perspective, that seems to suggest a lower quality mill job on the mold. I'm surprised that anyone would let that slide. Running a ball endmill over the whole mold would take another hour of machine time, max.

Disc Golf-wise, the rougher the surface finish, the more friction the disc would endure.

We'll see, I guess.

wow those graphics are AWFUL!!! reminds me of the horrible Wham-O stamps. if thats what passes for quality from them i can understand why there is no hype. im predicting a huge FAIL for them. too sad. plus if you look at the pictures of the disc on the site, it looks like theres all sorts of flaws along the rim edge. although that may just be the picture.

I'm surprised at how visible the milling witness marks are. I don't know that I've ever noticed that on any other discs.

Just from a manufacturing perspective, that seems to suggest a lower quality mill job on the mold. I'm surprised that anyone would let that slide. Running a ball endmill over the whole mold would take another hour of machine time, max.

Disc Golf-wise, the rougher the surface finish, the more friction the disc would endure.

We'll see, I guess.

Actually in any mold made by a tool shop it is not only rough cut and then fine cut, but it should also be "benched" or polished.
A just milled surface would not work for a mold because the plastic would never want to release out of the mold.

I worked a year in my uncles tool and die shop and I benched plenty of molds.
The top looks a lot smoother than the bottom.

I am guessing they left the bottom somewhat rougher on purpose for grip.
Honestly not a bad idea.

Hello DG Course Review,

I'm Ashton VanDemark owner of Skyiron Discs. Let me address a few of the concerns mentioned on this thread from my point of view.

Hype/Advertising - I've been keeping the company and website from getting out there and catching a lot of buzz until now. This is a new company and a new disc, I wasn't sure when I would be ready to launch and begin to sell. Currently I'm not running any advertising campaigns until I get more feedback from professionals who are currently using the disc.

Tooling - First I saw a comment about steel molds (I'm assuming instead of aluminum if that's what most manufacturers use), I opted for a steel alloy mold because aluminum is more prone to fatigue. There is no discernible texture to the tooling marks that people are noticing and it does add grip to the disc. You can't run your finger across the linear marks and feel them for example. In no way was this a manufacturing flaw or quality issue, it would be very simple and pretty much free to polish it out if it is unpopular. Personally, I think it looks really awesome, adds to the grip, and makes the disc look less like a toy and more like a piece of engineering beauty. There is absolutely no difficulty getting the disc to release out of the mold which was a concern with the tooling. Also there are no rim issues, that is just a poor cropping job by me on some of the disc pictures, I'll have a professional graphic artist crop my images and have that updated.

Graphics - I am uninterested in putting pictures of animals and cartoons on my discs. Graphics are cheap/easy to design and just as easy to change on future runs if I see fit.

Plastic - The plastic as far as flexibility and hardness is somewhere between star and champion, with grip characteristics more like champion. Just like the design the plastic blend is completely unique and I spent months mixing batches of plastics (and even changing suppliers once). I wanted a plastic I was completely happy with and that I could recreate consistently.

Reviews so far. Most of the amateur players are getting nice straight shots with minimum amount of turn. At professional speeds most guys are throwing it hyzer as the disc turns right and will come back left at the end of the flight. By throwing it flat or slightly anhyzer at high speeds the disc does well as a roller.

Thank you for your concerns, input, and questions. I'll return tomorrow to answer anything else.

Last edited:
Sooo... Which is it?

The tooling is mostly an aesthetic choice. It slightly improves grip because it is an "imperfection" at the disc surface. The disc doesn't feel rough, if you closed your eyes and held the disc you would not be able to tell which direction the tooling runs, or even notice it is there. It's not high-grit sandpaper, the disc feels as smooth as any other.

Sooo... Which is it?

I was wondering the same thing. Hope the guy does well. Business is hard right now in general. Hope he's a decent fellow like the guy running ABC. He played our Mother of the Valley tournament Saturday and seemed like a really cool dude.