• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Slightly OS throwing putter

I'll second the Aviar3 suggestion. It's a speed 3 so lower profile but similar rim to a P2 or Aviar. I used to throw Envys but I like the Aviar3 better. It powers down well, but I can also smash on it and put it on a frozen rope.

If you like the bead and want to stick to a speed 2, then yeah, just throw a JK or Wizard. I love the way the JK flies (my gf uses one and we play catch with it) but I prefer no bead.

Ok, how much gummier do they get in the heat. Are they like zflx from discraft where they are only good in the winter time.

I had this same fear until I tried them, but honestly they don't get much gummier in the summer. I was putting and throwing JKs this past season and I love them. They start off a bit OS, have a ton of glide, and beat into hold any line you want to put them on. As they beat in they don't turn into floppy messes either. Glow JKs (both JCs and standard glow) are a hair softer at first whereas the stock stamps are a bit stiffer, IME. I highly recommend trying one if you want a slightly OS throwing putter in a grippy plastic.

My James Conrad JK Aviar and S-Line P2 cover this shot nicely for me. Next step in stability would be the aforementioned Envy; and from there would be your zones, pigs, harps, etc.

Surprised I'm not seeing more recs for the Envy.

What didn't you like about the feel of the KC? Bead? Depth? Rim?

The envy is beadless, and shallower than the KC aviar. It will fly similar lines but has a bit more speed and a touch less glide. Both are fantastic discs.

P3x has an amazing hand feel and an OS flight. Very flat top and a comfortable bead. D line beats in to become very straight

Surprised I'm not seeing more recs for the Envy.

What didn't you like about the feel of the KC? Bead? Depth? Rim?

The envy is beadless, and shallower than the KC aviar. It will fly similar lines but has a bit more speed and a touch less glide. Both are fantastic discs.

The inky thing I dont like about the KC is the plastic I have learned I dont like to stiff of a plastic

Late to the party but as people have mentioned, the Envy is amazing. Gets the vast majority of my putter throws, both off the tee and for approaches.

Ok everyone. I am looking for a slightly OS throwing putter. I have tried a DX aviar and a KC Pro Aviar and do not like the feel of KC Pro and a DX Aviar does not have the same fade. I am wondering how the JK Pro Aviar is or what everyone would suggest?

JK Aviar and 300 pa1 would be a good start

Big Bead Aviar Driver is available in other plastics, too, beyond JK (my putting putter) and KC (didn't like the feel, either). I love them in Star.

But if you don't like that stiff of a plastic Disc Golf Center has G-Star along with two Tour Series options. I can't speak for the stiffness of the tour series options but G-Star might be to your liking.

It feels like I am in a loop... always same question, always same answer.

Tldr; the Proxy is the best driving putter ever made.

End thread

FTFY - just kidding, but for real I have started to view the Proxy as my driving putter, with the Envy taking a backseat for when I need to finish left.

Yup I'm here to nice any Envy suggestions.. I can't compare to Aviars JK, yeti or whatever. I'd suggest Plasma but the base electron plastic is reasonably cheap, and has a faster wear pattern.

The Envy is amazing but for me it's too long for that slot. I bagged one for a long time but it goes just as far as my midranges most of the time so I often bag the slightly more OS Harp because it doesn't blow by as many baskets, and hooks a little harder.

DX Rhyno's are pretty nice too. Beaded, shallower and in DX they are not as overstable as the numbers suggest.

Once they beat in, they gain distance and lose the dump

If I was a Moose I'd overthrow everything too with an Envy.. TBH I don't have that problem but I also don't need a stable mid with an Envy or two in the bag.

Rhynos are excellent, I threw a old champ 178 Rhino for years, beautifully broken in. My problem was I couldn't get another that straight, tried multiple plastics and weights but didn't have the time to break it in or cash to get a nice old Pro Rhyno. Let alone multiple backups. Really good disc though. I used to rock a Rhyno/ Magic now I'm Envy/Spin... I'm pretty much throwing the same s***. Learned how to FH with a Rhyno too.

If I was a Moose I'd overthrow everything too with an Envy.. TBH I don't have that problem but I also don't need a stable mid with an Envy or two in the bag.

Rhynos are excellent, I threw a old champ 178 Rhino for years, beautifully broken in. My problem was I couldn't get another that straight, tried multiple plastics and weights but didn't have the time to break it in or cash to get a nice old Pro Rhyno. Let alone multiple backups. Really good disc though. I used to rock a Rhyno/ Magic now I'm Envy/Spin... I'm pretty much throwing the same s***. Learned how to FH with a Rhyno too.

Innova has a Stiff Pro Rhyno in its lineup as a limited run from the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop. Basically just the driver Pro if you do not want the R-Pro a close disc to the Old Pro Rhyno if you can find the right run of R-Pro that is like the old Pro Ryhno.