• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower (11 speed) wind distance disc

A predator turns in headwind? Lol huh?

Only when my predators are destroyed do they turn in wind.

Could try a board flat firebird or a z venom from dd.

Villian is a 2.1 rim and flies like a giant jr and if you don't like it than give it to me.

I have to echo what others are saying about the Predator. You were either throwing a Pred that is beat up, is lightweight, or in the wrong plastic for the role you're looking for.

Preds are a fantastic wind fighting driver. They're not as overstable as some of the runs of Firebirds out there, or the XXX, but they're faster/longer than either. If you're willing to give them another chance, here's a bit of a guide that shows what I've experienced over 5+ years of collecting and throwing Predators:

From most overstable to least overstable:

Plastic: Z, ESP, FLX (FLX is very inconsistent in terms of stability), Elite X

Color: (applies to Z plastic only) Red, Pink, Blue/Orange/etc., Yellow/Chartreuse

I throw chartreuse Z Preds exclusively, and cycle 1-3 in the bag depending on the wind. But if you're looking for something over overstable, try a flat red or pink Z Pred. If you're turning those over...yerdoinitwrong.

I was wondering if he was teeing off from the top of a race car or something?

Disc Golf CTP fundraiser at Nascar. I was throwing off the car at 200mph with a 50mph tailwind.

As far as the Predator turning over, the pred in my bag has seen some action. When thrown low and flat into a strong headwind, it goes straight, rises a bit (perhaps 10 feet), slightly turns and then fades slightly. Not a bad flight, except it only goes 200 feet. I feel that it lacks the speed to cut the wind. In a moderate wind, they fly around 300 for me.

Last edited:
The most overstable, never-gonna-flip disc I throw is a discraft Flick. The rim width isn't bad and they are table-flat. But distance potential goes down with all of these extra overstable discs everyone's talking about. (not built for gliding)

I've had new Eagles, Tee-rexs, and Destroyers that were completely trustworthy in the wind, but with greater distance potential than the meathook drivers. I hope you can find something like that to count on, because tournaments will inevitably be the windiest day of the month.

I think the gap in wind fighting ability between a Firebird and a Predator is slim enough that it can be covered with different plastics and different stages of wear. A fresh Z Pred should be pretty beefy. And a beat Firebird is still a Firebird. Then again, I do not often throw into 30 mph + winds. I have had Star Wraiths more stable than any Max I have ever thrown ( saw that disc mentioned above somewhere).

Just throw a Mamba, it will flip 360 degrees and sail dead straight as long as the wind is over 88mph.

Then don't throw them flat

:hfive: I see people throwing a giant in a headwind on an anny or flat and they wonder why it turned on them. Hyzer that bad boy and a c-pd, pred, xxx, trident, giant, villain, xcal, firebird, etc should not turn beyond straight in all but the biggest of headwinds.

^double yep. Threw my volts in some mean headwind yesterday which cost a little distance but given enough hyzer they turned but never to the point of no RETURN and never had one carry off on me. I really don't NEED super OS discs even in 20+ MPH winds for most golf lines.

The flatter/slimmer discs won't lose as much speed going into the wind, but that also means they won't be as destabilized by the wind, eg, a meathook Flick might still be a meathook in high winds.

I know my FAF Firebird doesn't seem to care at all about wind and I don't get any more D into the wind than I do in calm conditions. I use a 167g domed FB for flat releases into wind. For distance in headwinds, I use a 1.2 QOLF and play for the turn I know it'll have.

Discmania DD. Speed 11, starts out quite beefy and wind resistant, breaks in eventually to have excellent glide and line shaping abilities.

I have thrown nearly every disc you mentioned and I would take this over them all. Spirits have terrible D, same with XXX. DD's are one of the longer discs I've thrown and have no issues with wind.

Villian or Giant should work well. One disc that has surprised me at the speed 11 range is the GL Riot, small rim, can handle power well, but excels in those low line tunnel shots you are looking for. Very nice multiuser disc.

The Villain has proven to be my best option for this. The GL is not as overstable but has more distance potential (similar to a good Destoryer). The Opto is very beefy and can eat wind for breakfast. The rim is comfortable and feels more like a 10/11.

Latest posts