• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SOLF 1.1 vs 1.3

riltim

Eagle Member
I currently have a 164 white solf 1.1 that I love to throw. Reading some threads here I get the impresion that the 1.3 run is different. Does it throw completely different or can I break in a 1.3 to fly like my 1.1?

They will fly different out of the box but I have not thrown a 1.3 long enough to break it in. The slanted inner rim (+ mold) on the 1.3 didn't mesh well with my grip. A 1.2 OLF will fly closer to the 1.1 SOLF in my opinion. A 164 1.1 SOLF is my main driver and has been for a while.

Thanks Steve. Plus rim isn't really what I'm looking for. I also don't want to constantly be on the hunt for old molds of discs. Looks like its time for me to find a replacement.

I found a stack of 1.1s without really lookin to hard. Not to hard finding old mill stuff as it sits on shelves for a long time.

Not all 1.3's are plus molds. I have two or three that aren't. The only ones I've seen that have slanted rims are the absurdly domey max-weight ones.

Also, I've never thrown a 1.1, but from what I understand, they are a little less overstable than the 1.2's. My non-plus 1.3's are definitely less overstable than my 1.2's, so maybe it's close to a 1.1. I can't be completely sure, though.

fanter said:
Not all 1.3's are plus molds. I have two or three that aren't. The only ones I've seen that have slanted rims are the absurdly domey max-weight ones.
^this. I buy most of my OLFs from Academy Sports, and the only plus-rimmed ones they have (at my location, at least) are white with a factory tie-dye.

My non-plus-rim 1.3 SOLFs feel/fly exactly like my 1.1 SOLFs.

The 1.3's I just got have slightly more dome than the 1.1's. Those were pretty flat. I'll update everyone after I throw them tomorrow. Mine are white and not the plus mold. I have not checked the PLH.

I threw a slightly seasoned 163 1.1 SOLF and a new 163 1.3 SOLF. The new 1.3 was of a softer plastic. The 1.3 was just a tick overstable but it was brand new. So, I say they are as close to the same disc as possible. Oh, both were white.

In this case, maybe, the "plus" mold shape of some of the 1.3's is unintentional. Sometimes the slanted rim comes from the way the plastic cools and shrinks, IIRC from some things I've read on this board. Again, I've only noticed the "plus" feel on domey max-weights, so maybe the two are related.

I came acroos a solf with just the mill stamp on it first run i believe. Been throwing it alot lately want to get a back up to start breaking in what is the closest run the 1.1?

money 21 said:
I came acroos a solf with just the mill stamp on it first run i believe. Been throwing it alot lately want to get a back up to start breaking in what is the closest run the 1.1?
sof or sos on the back? The rims are really close in shape.

money 21 said:
I posted a message earlier about this. The new 1.3 run is nice and soft and matches my 1.1.

Latest posts