• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] Solstice

Big OOF!! From the Pro Shop

"Ok, we will cancel your order – retailers receive their stock from us and red wasn't an option for either plastic type. Sorry!"

I guess I will not be getting a First Contact. Kinda bummed.

Gotta say, the Quantum merlot one I got is pretty close to red in my eyes and matches the picture on https://shop.golfdisc.com/millennium-quantum-solstice-first-contact. I wonder if it will lighten a bit after a bit of sunlight. They had some reddish-pink Quantum ones as well. Didn't see any red DT ones but none were available to buy (just limited to the player pack). Pink/Orange/Black matches what I remember (pink in lower 170-177g weights only).

Gotta say, the Quantum merlot one I got is pretty close to red in my eyes and matches the picture on https://shop.golfdisc.com/millennium-quantum-solstice-first-contact. I wonder if it will lighten a bit after a bit of sunlight. They had some reddish-pink Quantum ones as well. Didn't see any red DT ones but none were available to buy (just limited to the player pack). Pink/Orange/Black matches what I remember (pink in lower 170-177g weights only).

I don't know man, I watched Sideways, I know Merlot sucks :p

I might pick up a merlot one from Marshall Street because I need a few more discs, but I don't like to order just one disc so decided to cancel the whole order. What confuses me is when you look at the images for DT, there is a red one. I assume they gave them out or sold out quickly, but they had to have had some at one point........so I ask, who the hell has my red DT Solstices? :)

I guess the image in the pro shop is more of a pink than a red, but it looks close

Finally broke down and picked up a Q Solstice in "Merlot", and a DT Solstice in "Dark Pink". When I first got them they felt weird, especially the DT. After comparing them to my MD4s I discovered that at the very least they changed the flight plate. The tooling is different and it had a deeper rim, but I think that is because of the flight plate (honestly not sure). The top is also ever so slightly flatter than the MD4s and I can see some very faint lines in spots on the flight plate that tell me that the mold is brand new. I might post some PLH and flight plate comparisons if I can find a spot in the house with proper lighting and background.

TLDR; The Solstice is not the MD4, but is a very close clone. Flight plate is new.

Finally broke down and picked up a Q Solstice in "Merlot", and a DT Solstice in "Dark Pink". When I first got them they felt weird, especially the DT. After comparing them to my MD4s I discovered that at the very least they changed the flight plate. The tooling is different and it had a deeper rim, but I think that is because of the flight plate (honestly not sure). The top is also ever so slightly flatter than the MD4s and I can see some very faint lines in spots on the flight plate that tell me that the mold is brand new. I might post some PLH and flight plate comparisons if I can find a spot in the house with proper lighting and background.

TLDR; The Solstice is not the MD4, but is a very close clone. Flight plate is new.

I don't have a Original MD4 to check but I believe it had the same tooling as a RocX3 which looked very similar to the Roc3/Mako3. Knowing that Innova molds are 3 parts I could see a new dedicated core being used for RocX3 and Solstice now matched up with the same blunt flat-top upper mold piece and Roc3/MD3 bottoms rims to differentiate. I'll check out the RocX3s next time I visit a store in person.

No mention of Rancho Cucamonga or the full Innova Champion Discs name, just innovadiscs.com opposite Made in USA for the Solstice tooling.

I also see some evidence of the flat top processing on the top of the QSolstices. The 'zipper top' lines are present on both RocX3 and new QSolstice.

Here are some pics from an amateur trying to capture PLH and Shiz.

MF C-Line MD4 vs. Q Solstice

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stiff P-Line (KC Pro) MD4 vs. DT Solstice

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Q Solstice Zipper Top?

picture.php

The P-Line MD4 and DT Solstice look like completely different discs in these.

Here are some pics from an amateur trying to capture PLH and Shiz.

MF C-Line MD4 vs. Q Solstice

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stiff P-Line (KC Pro) MD4 vs. DT Solstice

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Q Solstice Zipper Top?

picture.php

The P-Line MD4 and DT Solstice look like completely different discs in these.
Interested to see these but the images are not showing for me

I'm seeing them now, not sure what was going on.

Hard to make out the parting lines for the Quantum vs MF C-line comparison. Solstice seems flatter and the bottom mold piece may be taller slightly? That last image of the flight plate shows the flat top processing marks towards the rim and the circular 'zipper' closer to the center.

The base/mid grade plastics have the most shrinking/cooling so not really surprised how different they look (I have similar among the DX Rocs I own). DT has been a pretty stiff DX blend in my experience so potentially less shrink vs. the stiff P-line blend of the MD4.

Been throwing the DT and Q versions around since March now. The blue Q Solstice I picked out is OS enough to forehand and has a pretty healthy fade. Somewhat gummy/flexible. Orange DT has a much more neutral flight and a slight fade. Q is ok into a headwind and fights out of anhyzer well, DT not so much.

I'm seeing them now, not sure what was going on.

Hard to make out the parting lines for the Quantum vs MF C-line comparison. Solstice seems flatter and the bottom mold piece may be taller slightly? That last image of the flight plate shows the flat top processing marks towards the rim and the circular 'zipper' closer to the center.

The base/mid grade plastics have the most shrinking/cooling so not really surprised how different they look (I have similar among the DX Rocs I own). DT has been a pretty stiff DX blend in my experience so potentially less shrink vs. the stiff P-line blend of the MD4.

Been throwing the DT and Q versions around since March now. The blue Q Solstice I picked out is OS enough to forehand and has a pretty healthy fade. Somewhat gummy/flexible. Orange DT has a much more neutral flight and a slight fade. Q is ok into a headwind and fights out of anhyzer well, DT not so much.

I can confirm that the PLH comparison between the MF C-Line and the Q are almost exactly in line. The MF might be no more than a hairs width lower.

Got out for some comparisons and playing a round with the new solstices. DT Solstice flies exactly like a MF C-line MD4 in headwind, tailwind and everything in between. The Q solstice flies like my Star Caiman with a little more glide and less skip. Overall I'm a little disappointed because i was really hoping for an MD4 through and through. I'm going to beat in the DT and see how a cycle might go, but initial impressions are telling me I will be on the search for a new mid in the future.

I was in the market for a Pyro/Quake/Solstice type disc a couple months ago. I thought I was anyways.

I'm not sure if I am or not. I think maybe Zone is enough.

Anyways, I got a point. Solstice is solid disc is the point. Here's why.

I normally throw in Denver at 5000-8000'+. My impression of the disc in Denver upon purchase was that it was solid, but too OS to gain traction in the bag at that distance.

I was in Redding CA last month. I lost my Zone for most of that time, and also lost my Draco. I was down to Solstice as my only shorty-type power-beef. I had an A2 that I leaned into a LOT, and fell in love with it, but different story. And A2 couldn't reach those mid-long pins.

At sea level, Solstice would be a go-to, high-volume disc. Righteously rad over-achiever.

At altitude, I'll have to reassess. Probably going to work a Zone/A2 and FX-2/OLF type solution for OS disc solutions. This is one of those discs that excels at sea level imo.

The Quantum Solstice is incredible! I was looking for flat Roc3s and they just don't seem to make them right now. I like the rim shape a lot better in my hand. The Aurora is my main midrange, and this is the perfect complement. I just got it today and I was hitting gaps I usually miss. This thing was going long on almost every throw. I thought it would be very beefy to start but it's just easy power and reliable fade. I would say it's probably a little more glide and a little less fade than the numbers suggest.

The Aurora-Solstice 1-2 punch is the best midrange combo available.

Glow season rolling around and tournament season winding down has me throwing my Lunar Q Solstice a bit more. Slightly straighter than the 1.1 Q Solstice and glide that matches the numbers while matching the torque resistance. I have found it works fine as a FH approach which doesn't dump quite as fast as a Gator/Mortar. Can put some power into it on flat and anhyzer releases to get some very tight flex lines with a good finishing fade.

Also, from Millennium FB account:
Dropping 11:00am @ UDSGC vendor village!
The 1.2 Quantum Solstice Garrett Gurthie Signature Edition
Drop alert! 10am USDGC exclusive. The new Double G, Limited Edition, "enhanced" Color Lunar Solstice.
Online fans: pro shop pre-orders will be available soon. Inventory is only at USDGC and en route to our warehouse from the west coast.
Millennium announced & released runs of both stock 1.2 Q and LE Color Lunar Q (enhanced glow) Solstices with Garrett Gurthie signature stamps at the USDGC. Seems to be a shift from the Hyzerbomb Sabot signature runs for him last year. Probably getting an online listing in the next couple weeks.

Millennium announced & released runs of both stock 1.2 Q and LE Color Lunar Q (enhanced glow) Solstices with Garrett Gurthie signature stamps at the USDGC. Seems to be a shift from the Hyzerbomb Sabot signature runs for him last year. Probably getting an online listing in the next couple weeks.
Have you tried one of the Color Lunar Solstices out?

Have you tried one of the Color Lunar Solstices out?
Nope, initial reviews I read said they were similar stability to the regular Lunar Quantum ones which I have a couple of already. No comparisons to how much the glow has been enhanced over the Lunar run either.

Latest posts