• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Somewhat Overstable Fairway driver

93EXCivic

Double Eagle Member
Right now I carry three or four fairway drivers depending on the coarse. I have a DX Gazelle, Champ Banshee, beat-in DX Viper and a DX Leopard. The Banshee and beat-in Viper fly very similarly, straight with a heavy fade at the end.

I'd like to replace the Banshee with something with less fade then the Banshee but something more overstability then a Gazelle or DX TeeBird.

The upcoming RDG Tyrant sounds like it might do the the trick but I was wondering what else was out there that might be worth trying.

gstar or star or champ teebird all fit into that gap.

you may not see the difference between a champ tb and a banshee depending on how far you are throwing.

i'd say start with with star or gstar tb.

How about a Champ Starfire? It's got a little more speed (10) than a fairway driver but it's stability sounds like it might fit in the pocket you're looking for.

159 Starlite Teebird. Plenty of stability and the lighter weight will give you some extra forward penetration. Starlite birds don't get enough love.

Yes, exactly this! From what you say, I'd guess either a GStar or a lighter Star (something in the mid to upper 160's) would probably suit you pretty well.

+1 on this. Another vote here for a Star Teebird. I like mine in the high 160s; YMMV.

Seems like I should try out some premium plastic TeeBirds.

I have a DX TeeBird but it didn't make it into the bag cause of the Gazelle. Would the Star or GStar Gazelles give me the kind of stability I want?

a champ gazelle would, not the gstar. they just don't have the same HSS for some reason; at least mine don't. it's weird. maaaaaaybe the star, but i haven't thrown a star gazelle in a while.

how is your dx gazelle flying, just to help gauge. i throw gazelles as my only true "fairway".

i'd rate them like this, according to what i have thrown.

double eagle stamped champ

cfr glo

star, starts out similar to cfr glo and beats faster IIRC

gstar, has less HSS but a decent fade

dx, starts out with zero turn and a tiny fade but beats in to be less stable than the gstar quickly.

Last edited:
a champ gazelle would, not the gstar. they just don't have the same HSS for some reason; at least mine don't. it's weird. maaaaaaybe the star, but i haven't thrown a star gazelle in a while.

how is your dx gazelle flying, just to help gauge. i throw gazelles as my only true "fairway".

It is fairly fresh. For me it is dead straight with just the smallest amount of fade at the end.

I was planning on picking up a GStar and Star Gazelle anyway. Where do you find Champ Gazelles?

It is fairly fresh. For me it is dead straight with just the smallest amount of fade at the end.

I was planning on picking up a GStar and Star Gazelle anyway. Where do you find Champ Gazelles?

you can find cfr glo out there online, but i got the double eagle stamps at clearwater disc golf online store.

you may want to just start with a cfr glo. they have some dome to them. when seasoned, they get out there and glide straight for a long time and then fade. a fresh one would have more hss and more fade for sure. mine is seasoned-ish and it still can't do a perfectly dead straight shot, but it's getting pretty close. i'm sure star would do the same thing faster.

the double eagle stamps are almost what i'd call overstable. not nearly the same amount of glide i want on a woodsy fairway driver, but after 5 years i bet they'll be great.

if you're stuck on the gazelle like i am, you can cover just about every role with it. you're just going to have to pony up for the limited stuff.

you can do the same thing with a teebird, however - i did it and loved it - and not have to worry about the future viability of the disc while saving more money. i just really, really love that slow fairway spot. the TB overlaps too much with my PD and has more fade in premium plastics. the gstar tb, however, is gloriously straight.

if you're stuck on the gazelle like i am, you can cover just about every role with it. you're just going to have to pony up for the limited stuff.

I am not stuck on Gazelle but it is the only one of Innova's straight flying fairways that I really fell in love with. I have tried a beat and fresh Champ TL, Star Eagle and DX TeeBird.

i guess the problem is that all of the star/champ gazelles are more os than dx.

if you want the most os variant, get the double eagle stamps.

it really is a magical fairway. :) that's what i mean by "stuck on". fell in love with, what have you.

I'd follow the advice given and get a star or champ teebird (I'm partial to champ for this mold). Honestly, it's a completely different disc than the dx. Way more stable.

There's good advice in here. Premium plastic of these discs does really change the stability compared to DX, so as long as you like the rim shape in your hand you'll be happy with a premium Teebird. Just keep it simple with a disc that is easily available.

I would recommend if you throw your fairways 325'+ consistently and want a stable/OS finish fairway that can handle some wind, to go with a champ Teebird. If you can't throw that far or you want a mellower straight Teebird that is just a step up from the Gazelle, to look at star plastic. Mellower still (great flight and glide), go with Gstar. You can't really go wrong unless you go with champ and don't have the arm for it/expect it to be a longer flight than it is, but all are great discs.

i'd say start with with star or gstar tb.

My vote right here, I went from a 175g DX Teebird to a 175g GStar Teebird and I throw my GStar all the time now.

Ninja Edit: I'd say my Gstar Teebird flies more true to the TL flight numbers (laser straight with a very very soft finish)

Last edited:
Don't know which post to quote. Also for champ or star teebird. When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought teebird. And so did everyone else, it looks like...

A new champ or star leopard.

If you want overstable a champ T-bird

i'd rate them like this, according to what i have thrown.

double eagle stamped champ

cfr glo

star, starts out similar to cfr glo and beats faster IIRC

gstar, has less HSS but a decent fade

dx, starts out with zero turn and a tiny fade but beats in to be less stable than the gstar quickly.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm just getting into Gazelles myself, and I've got a DX right now, but I'm looking for some other plastics to compliment.

One plastic I notice you didn't rate was the Pro Gazelles from the pro shop, how would you rate those, especially compared to GSTAR or DX?

VIP Stag or Star Teebird are the best. Feel both and see what you think.