• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sore Shoulder

Chef Joe

Par Member
So, I've been playing for about a month and a half. I've got a good throw down, and I can snap the hell out of the disc at the end of my throw. The thing is, it hurts my shoulder. I've worked a follow through into my toss, which takes a little bit of stress of my shoulder, but what else can I do to keep from doing any long term damage to my arm?

Stretching real good before a round should help alleviate stress. And if you are so inclined, using resistance bands or straps to train your muscles would help also. Just try and stay fluid in your movements when you are actually throwing and keep up with the follow through.

Yea, I did forget to mention that I stretch before I tee off on the first hole. Just today though I started doing a little stretching on about every other hole. Even just rotating my arm around a little bit help keep it nice and loose.

icy hot has helped me for temporary soreness. if the pain hasnt changed since changing techniques then it probably hasnt been used in a while and is just takong some time to get warmed up.

So, I've been playing for about a month and a half. I've got a good throw down, and I can snap the hell out of the disc at the end of my throw. The thing is, it hurts my shoulder.
QUOTE]

I'm thinking the pain in your shoulder is just temporary. 45 days of disc golfing is gonna put some strain on muscle groups. It will go away if you keep throwing really hard....and definitely get a Boss or a Groove or 3 of each. My advice...play with ams (less than 45 days) and kick their butts.

Or...slow down and get a feel for the game. Practice off the course. 45 days is rookie territory. Get some personal experience, play with stronger players when you can and have fun throwing plastic discs.

Be a humble beginner.

You throwing forehand or backhand? Is there a popping/cracking sound or muscle pain?

Take a few days off, and stay loosy goosy during the whole throw. Your muscles will tense up at the right time without you telling them to so don't strong arm it. Learn to synch up your follow through and pivot and you should be on your way. Also, try to keep your arm on the same plane as your chest and no higher unless you are throwing a hyzer, your shoulder will want to pop of the socket otherwise. But I'm no PhD, I just stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Definitely some stretching before and after will help, also wait until the shoulder's feeling good before playing again if you're not already doing so. When most people start playing they throw mostly with their arm and shoulder which places a lot of stress on both. Work on your form, watch video, read, ask more experienced players etc. and try to work on throwing more with your legs, hips, and core, which are the muscle groups that provide the real power. This will then take the strain off the shoulder and arm.

Soloman: The pain is probably due to my lack of physical activity in a longer time than I'd like to admit.

Omega: I do have a couple lighter discs, and I throw them as often as the heavier ones, but I don't think the problem lies as much in the weight of the disc as it does my throw and follow through.

Trifocal: I play with friends who started about the same time as I did, and friends that have been in the game for years, and I learn a little bit from everyone. I practice when I can, but I live in a small apartment, and I can't much practice in here. On the upside, I've got 15-20 foot putts with no wind locked down.

Sidewinder: Backhanded, and no, no noise or immediate pain, it's just sore at the end of a round.

Dave: I'll try loosening up, because I do feel a little stiff throughout my throws. Also, I see what you mean by keeping it low. I tend to throw a little high, and that, paired with the stiff muscles during the throw and the lack of muscle movement in the past God-knows-how-long, are probably what are leading the a sore shoulder at the end of the day. Also, do PDGA members get a discount at Holiday Inn?

All in all: I consulted the forum just to make sure nobody thinks I'm doing something that will lead to long term muscle or tendon damage. I think I'll just tweak my throws and follow through's, and not try to strong arm it so much until I get that down.

Thanks all!

Dave: I'll try loosening up, because I do feel a little stiff throughout my throws. Also, I see what you mean by keeping it low. I tend to throw a little high, and that, paired with the stiff muscles during the throw and the lack of muscle movement in the past God-knows-how-long, are probably what are leading the a sore shoulder at the end of the day. Also, do PDGA members get a discount at Holiday Inn?

Thanks all!

I don't know, I'm too awful to be one. I do hear about pros sleeping on people's floors a lot at tourneys.:|

And yeah, what Marv Vega said, too.
Good luck coming from guy dealing with tendinitis in his forearm.:mad:

Not to be too orthopedic on you, but there are potential issues in your shoulder which could be rotator cuff, impingement, or bicep tears. Ice and advil will help, but only mask the symptoms.
I am about to have surgery in a couple of weeks to repair my shoulder from a SLAP repair that went bad on me. I told the surgeon to tighten up my bicep like a banjo string so I can get an extra 100'.
I am anticpating be out of commission about 6 months..... ouch. Just when I was beginning to get my game back.
Oh well.

Be careful that you're using good technique. If you can take video of your throw and post a link to it here. I threw really hard when I first started, thought I was doing good, and ended up dislocating my shoulder twice because I was actually using really bad form. Had to take a few years off from disc golf before I could throw comfortably again and the shoulded nagged for a good 5 years after that, thank goodness I was in my early 20's or I may have never recovered. Now I've been working on form much more than "throwing hard" and have increased my distance to further than ever. It's a finesse sport, not a power one. This summer I've been throwing 30-50 holes per day regularly with no pain and very little soreness.

I really doubt you have done any real damage to yourself. I get that too, sore shoulder that is. It's must likely the sensation you get from lifting weights. my advise is give your muscles time to repair and heal between rounds. You will most likely motice that your dominate shoulder will get much bigger than your other, at least mine is and my wife picks on me all the time for it. I am not a doctor though so do be careful.

I have been trying to understand my shoulder after playing for 2 years. The more I play and stronger it gets but still get sore if I throw too hard or too much playing. When it's sore and I take a rest for 2 days then it gets back to normal.

Sometimes, It's tough when I'm required to throw ball to kids because it's the worst case for my shoulder. I have developed shoulder muscles for disc golf that is not used throwing the ball and it would get really sore. It's interesting to see how it works on my shoulder. I've tried to avoid it but its part of the job working with kids.

I always wonder how pro take care of their shoulder because they pretty much throw a lot in many rounds per weekend. They play in tough courses with long baskets and still get great score is amazing strength on their shoulder.

I would imagine lots of hours of strength and conditioning training and possibly a physical therapist.

Well I have a bum rotator cuff on my throwing shoulder so I learned years ago to use my legs and hips and core to generate most of the velocity and then my arm is just a lever and right at the end I make sure I get some "snap". So use your lower body to generate the power and velocity and it should ease the stress on your shoulder when trying to make that "snap". Cuz most of the workload is on the lower body and not on your shoulder. But Im no doctor so...

Well I have a bum rotator cuff on my throwing shoulder so I learned years ago to use my legs and hips and core to generate most of the velocity and then my arm is just a lever and right at the end I make sure I get some "snap". So use your lower body to generate the power and velocity and it should ease the stress on your shoulder when trying to make that "snap". Cuz most of the workload is on the lower body and not on your shoulder. But Im no doctor so...

great post. I think many people forget how important the legs are.

Hopefully it is not what I am going through. I had a SLAP repair 3 years ago (bicep pulling away from tendon...2 screws + suchers to pull and support the muscle). Long story short, only backhands work ok for me, no sidearms, tomahawks etc.
The surgeon called it tendonitis and told me to do some therapy and keep up with ice/advil. Went to a different surgeon and lo and behold, one of the screws came out. July 29- screw comes out and probably a re-repair of the shoulder. I told him to tighten it up like a banjo string and see if I can get another 100' on a drive.
If the pain persists, it could be: shoulder impingement... rotator cuff... or bicep issues. Lots of info that is googleable.
Good luck.

Try to rotate your shoulders before you play as well as stretching. It also just might have to do with how much you are playing. Keep in mind that disc is like any other sport in that if you are playing it a lot and everyday, you're going to experience some soreness. Don't think for a second that other athletes aren't sore after playing their sport everyday

Latest posts