• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina Courses

from a North Carolinian to a South Carolinian you guys are different but in a good way. We're kinda standoffish up here. But we do barbecue way better than you guys. What is that mustard sauce abomination?

You're pushing my civility, now. Barbeque, indeed.

North Carolina is more developed, more industrial, even in the rural areas, perhaps particularly in the rural areas. North Carolina's small towns look very different than South Carolina's small towns, which don't look much different than Georgia's except the latter have more town squares. North Carolina has Charlotte, a much bigger city than any in South Carolina. On the other hand, we have better beaches and coastal cities.

Then again, you have much better mountains, and the Mecklenburg County Parks Department. The latter alone is almost enough to make up for the barbeque.

oh we've been dumping ground for decades now. But now it's your turn Palmetto state.

I stand by my barbecue statement sir. I will further fan the flames in the pit and say that Eastern NC barbecue is the most superior form of barbecued pig on the planet!

All jokes aside Mr. Sauls, you are on the money in your assessment of the Carolinas and Georgia. NC is also different from Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee (maybe not TN as much). In my travels I've noticed how weird the old North State is in comparison to our neighbors. We did something wrong.

In fairness....South Carolina actually has 3 barbeque regions. In the northeast corner, it's pepper & vinegar, like eastern NC. There are 2 pockets of mustard-based sauce: the middle of the state (where I am), and around Charleston. Elsewhere, it tends to be tomato(ketchup) based.

My family was originally from Lake City in the northeast (Pee Dee) area, and for holidays my grandmother would make the hour+ drive and bring back a load of that Eastern-Carolina barbeque. I really miss it. Of course, one thing the mustard-based BBQ has going for it is the "WTH?????" expression from visitors.

Meanwhile, back on topic, you can draw a line through South Carolina, down I-77 to Columbia then I-20 to Augusta. Go more than 5 miles east or south of that line, and the disc golf is spread pretty thin, in quality and quantity. So for the rest of us, about 90 of our 107 courses are crammed into about a third of an already-small state, so the course density, and quality, seem pretty good.

You've suffered more invaders. Particularly in the Triangle.
Unfortunate side effect of having stuff. I would gladly give you the research triangle.
I will further fan the flames in the pit and say that Eastern NC barbecue is the most superior form of barbecued pig on the planet!
Ooh, you lost me there. Western style or bust. I'd much rather eat mustard style than East NC style. :gross:

I see my comment got some traction...

Diamond Reviewers' comments tend to do that.

Looking at DGCR, it seems SC is doing better than West Virginia! At least in my part of the state... Maybe that's not saying much. I will be making it down to the Carolinas very soon. I look forward to examining the disc golf situation firsthand.

Maybe Winthrop Gold would be a good initiation into SC disc golf, after some time in Charlotte? And David, Stoney Hill is definitely on the wish list, I'm just busy with some other things right now. I need a bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be frolfing" or "I'd rather be driving a frisbee"

Local place here does a Cheerwine bbq sauce that is just...delicious.

Upstate/Greenville Area update:

Dolly Cooper, Powdersville: All 18 baskets installed as of February 2019. Tee pads still natural for now.

Golden Grove Brewery, Piedmont: Front 9 installed March 2018. Back 9 started being cut in March 2019.

Chau Ram, Westminster: All 18 fairways cut, all 18 baskets installed. Tee pads being built currently.

Shaver Gold, Seneca: 17 baskets installed, 17 fairways mostly cut. Final fairway being cut currently. Still a bit rough.

Greer Middle College Charter High School, Greer: 9 fairways cut March 2019. Baskets being installed currently.

Hagood Mill, Pickens: 9 baskets installed July 2018. Back 9 will be cut in this summer, probably.

Hurricane Springs, Wren: Trees cut, dedicated course work soon.

I exaggerate. In the past year two new courses have opened up within 45 minutes of me, which in my case rates as pretty close. And one that's very close, keeps adding new holes. Who am I to complain?

But central South Carolina remains a course-thin area, surrounded by the hotbeds of Charlotte, Augusta, Greenville-Spartanburg.

Hey you Greenville area guys, finally close to making the move to the area. Can any of you PM me the best areas to live around Greenville? Going to be working at one of the hospitals in Greenville most likely. TIA

South Carolina

Going to Myrtle Beach area later this summer. Played Socastee a couple years ago and loved it. Does not seem there are any 18-hole courses anywhere near there, unless anybody can tell me of some. Will play Socastee again...

But, hey, if those beaches are you cup of tea---and judging from about 20 million tourists, they just might be---it's not so bad. Though if you're driving, you might want to scratch your disc golf itch en route.

Latest posts