• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Speed 9-10 Drivers

I switched from Saints to PDs for the cons listed. PDs have better wind-fighting capabilities and better range in plastics. Also, PDs are bit more forgiving and a touch faster. Nothin' "wrong" with the Saint, just not my cup o' tea. If you hit the Saint perfect tho, the glide goes forever.

I'll throw in a vote for the Fury. I keep a Saint in my bag as well but go for the Fury much more often. For wind I go to SOLF. Might be a bit faster on the flight charts but I don't have a big arm and I can get it out there.

I second the Fury! Great disc flies real far without a lot of power.:thmbup:

Well I've got it down to Saints, Valkyries, and PDs.

-I am most experienced with Valkyries as those were the only drivers I threw (1 disc rounds or just a Valk and a putter) for my 2-3 years of play before I got serious about disc golf. They do go far like I want and my form is even better now. My main concern is lack of wind fighting capability. Especially since I would really, really like to avoid throwing Champion style plastic as I hate the feel. Another plus though is they are available locally so if I found out the characteristics that make a Valk more stable, I can hand pick them. Plus, easier to replace.

-Next are PDs. I threw a C-Line PD for awhile. I really dug the flight path but man, I really hate the feel of Champion plastic. It did handle a wind great and was a predictable disc. My main concern with throwing PDs is I fear that I don't have enough arm to get the turn out of a PD (even P-Line) to add distance over my Ascents. Also, not sure if I have the snap to have a PD hold an anny. But, once again, they are available locally.

-Finally, Saints. I have thrown Opto, GL, and Air versions of the Saint, but just tested them. The Opto seemed stable enough to me (at least the one I threw) to handle a decent amount of wind. The Opto Air was not my cup of tea. The GL flew great but more similar to the Opto than I expected. The glide on all three was insane! The Saint is actually probably what fits what I am looking for. But there are two big things holding me back: Unfamiliarity and they are not available locally. I have been doing research and it sounds like the RGL would give me increased understability I would like, I can stand (but still not a fan) the feel of Opto, and I really have no problem with ordering online, just prefer having discs I throw available locally (although I got over that with my Vibrams).

So there's my thoughts so far...
Input?

I use PDs, but not a big fan of the C-Line PDs due to the feel (as you mentioned) and stability. If you are concerned about not being able to get a PD up to speed, I'd recommend a Valk or Saint then.

You could go with a lighter weight P or S-line PD; S-Line go all the way down to 150. However, I'd suggest a Valk if you want easy to get up to speed. The feel of Opto plastic is similar to champion.

You can't go wrong with a Volt, its very versatile and easy to throw.

It has a low profile which makes release easy.

-1 HSS 2 LSS (for most power levels)

I've thrown the dx and champ Valkyrie's, I didnt care for the Dx but the Champ, including the Glow Champ have been very good and consistent drivers.

If you really want to stick with one mold, then the PD offers the versatility. Otherwise you can mix and match with some of the other great discs mentioned.

get a viking for the neutral/workable disc to compliment your pd.

get a viking for the neutral/workable disc to compliment your pd.

This. Viking is truly a do it all disc, if you grab it in a lighter weight like 165-168ish it'll compliment a PD perfectly, but still keep the "jack of all trades" ability that vikings have.

It's a really nice disc to have right in the middle, it's like the TL, right in that sweet spot of slightly stable that you usually need months to wear discs into. The champ viking has a knack for losing any inital overstability it might have as a brand new disc in just a couple rounds, and then staying at that perfect neutral/stable spot forever.

I find the Saint & Escape very similar in flight, but the Escape just feels better to me. The Fury is amazing, offering reliable flex & turnover depending on release.

You might also want to try Westside's Northman. It may kick the Escape out of my bag. The battle continues.

I think your on the right track with the PD and Valk. They're already familiar to you and with more time you will understand all the shots their capable of. I don't like the Saint for a myriad of reasons. If you're looking for a neutral driver that can hold up to wind, Saint it ain't.

Latest posts