• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spinners for spin dyes...

Hoey1

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for something I can use to do the spinny art on discs. Do you have one? Do you know someone that uses one?

I've seen a few out there (record player, potters wheel) just seeing if there may be a couple of good leads here...

thanks so much!

Dave

You could try a lazy susan, then spin it quickly...but you would have to set up something to protect the room from flying ink.

ive heard of using a power drill to do this before. you might have to mount the drill and then attach a board to the bit somehow. never seen one in person though

I have seen a kit for spinart at the hobby store, shouldnt be too hard to rig something up on the cheap. I was thinking an old record player set down in a cardboard box would work. Getting harder to find those these days but I'd say the thrift store should still have some floating around.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and an electric drill. Works ok, but would like to hear other ideas also......

If you look around you can find cheap desktop potter's wheels for making pottery.
Better yet, go to the dump and get an old washing machine... spinner and containment in all in one package.

bogies is dave- are you gearing up for some heavy runs of dyeing? You've been asking lots of dye questions recently...

bogies is dave said:
I'm looking for something I can use to do the spinny art on discs. Do you have one? Do you know someone that uses one?

I've seen a few out there (record player, potters wheel) just seeing if there may be a couple of good leads here...

thanks so much!

Dave

I would concentrate on something where you can control the speed of the spin. Cheap drills and record players only have a few speed settings. Something you manually spin, or something that's variable speed would be better. I'll try and come up with some rig ideas.

Get a spinning wheel (for yarn) type setup. You could probably build one yourself, if you're into things like that.

pd

Wish I had time to write this a week ago :D
Some good ideas out there, I like the bike wheel and yard spinner idea... but I'm not much of a "rigging up" kind of guy. Thinking it'll probably be a record player from Sal Val or Goodwill that will end up in the box.

marmoset said:
bogies is dave- are you gearing up for some heavy runs of dyeing? You've been asking lots of dye questions recently...

"You just had to keep asking questions, didn't you Dave, you just couldn't leave well enough alone"

Yeah Marmo, I'm trying to get as much info as I can on dyeing, I will be hopefully "rippin' sum majah spinnah's" for Marshall Street in the near future... almost at that point.

and on that note, I'd like to say thank you to everyone on here for helping me out, and for the help this board provides. I recommend it to everyone that seems genuinely interested in stepping up their game that comes into the shop.

Koom-bai-yah.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and an old 4 inch counter top fan with the blade and face cover removed. I placed a suction cup on the rod that the blade was on for sticking the disc on so it would hold it. Then I ran the cord out of the bucket to plug into the wall. Place a disc on the suction cup and then power on the fan. Apply dye and let spin for a few seconds and then turn off. Easy homemade spin art studio.

What dye do you use to spin dye? rit and acetone or do you need to use something else?

Thanks.

mzuleger said:
Animix said:
There's a vid on YouTube of a Gateway Spin dye.

Warning, some NSFW language in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1vjj7rlzI

cool. but is that rit and acetone they're using?

No that is not rit and acetone, not sure what it is as I think they like to keep it on the down or we wuld all be doing our of spin dyes. If anybody knows what the dye is let us know! Is Dr. Dye still around? He used to sell dye and I wonder if anybody here has used it? It might be the same kind of dye that they use in that video

you gotta make the dye more dense by adding additives, so it doesn't run off so quick. Then you've got to let it "seep in" for a day or two. You might be so crazy as to try thick dishwashing detergent.

It's really difficult though, to find the correct mixtures. Certain colors need more dye/detergent than others.

I've got to go... I think they'll find me soon now.

I'm afraid I've said too much.

If one were crazy enough to try what you propose, how would they mix the rit? Mix it with water, then app the detergent to thicken it, or just add the rit right to the detergent?

Latest posts