• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stability of different colors in both the Z and ESP Flash??

JHBlader86

Eagle Member
Wanting to try this disc out, and I've read that the stability varies in each plastic and in the colors so I want to know which are the most stable to least stable. Thanks!

Found an orange Z Flash, flexy Z... not a fan. When I gripped it, Orc came to mind but this thing is pretty beefy and glideless. First impressions... not a good one.

Varies by color, varies by run...there are no rules, nothing but a hole sucking your money until you find the right one. I have had torrid love affairs with the Flash in the past. I can almost always feel a disc and know how its going to fly, but the damn Flash is a mystery until you throw it. I now throw Orcs because although they can be inconsistent disc to disc, they play by some basic rules.

In order from most stable to paper plate flippy. I have thrown the whole spectrum of flashes in Z and ESP. One other thing to take note of too. For the ESP, if it is not flat on top then it will be more stable. If it is flat...don't bother cause it is ridiculously understable.

Orange
Red
Yellow
Green
Pinkish/Light Red
Blue
Ice Clear
Purple

BLURR said:
In order from most stable to paper plate flippy. I have thrown the whole spectrum of flashes in Z and ESP. One other thing to take note of too. For the ESP, if it is not flat on top then it will be more stable. If it is flat...don't bother cause it is ridiculously understable.

Orange
Red
Yellow
Green
Pinkish/Light Red
Blue
Ice Clear
Purple

To illustrate my above point, when I was throwing ESP flashes my most flippy was an orange FR with a decent dome, and my most hss stable was a completely flat red ESP (didn't have a ton of fade). I had a pinkish/light red that was really domey and faded really hard, though it did have a touch of high speed turn. Not to discount your personal experience, but like I said there are no rules when it comes to this mold. I'll also mention that most of these in ESP or Z are about as durable as Pro plastic. One really good whack and most become flippy.

JimW said:
Screw the colors, just check the parting lines! :D
Gonna be hearing a lot more of this in the months to come. And yes, I'd bet those color/stability patterns are really color/ parting line patterns because of the way different colors and runs mold up.

I've thrown probably 12 flashes over the years (all Z) and of those I'd say maybe half were acceptable. I've had good luck with all shades of yellow as well as blue. All the flashes seem to have flat tops, but some definitely glide better than others. I think the best flashes will outfly the best orcs as well.

Red and orange seemed very stable and lacked glide. I also threw a clear dyed one that was super flippy.

Overall I'd say try yellow. They've never let me down.

JHBlader86 said:
Definitely seems way to inconsistent then. Well, what about Z Surges??

Horrid. Don't waste your time. Good Z surges are out there, but they are a needle in a haystack. I've found one in all my time DGing. Compared to about 8 crappy ones.

For what it's worth, the one Flash that I've thrown is a yellow max weight Z with the older (non circle) stamp. It fits my bag perfectly for the long shots that I really don't want to finish very far left, if at all. Glide seems good and it is understable, but I wouldn't say flippy.