• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Lite Valkyrie

Has anyone tried to let a young kid throw one of these? Seems like it could be a great disc for my 6 year old son.

It is hard to find lightweight discs that are slow enough and durable at the same time. My home course is all rocks so a DX disc is a waste of money for me - chewed up after 2-3 rounds.

He throws a really light super flippy Bliz Katana (135g) RHFH right now pretty well but I know it is way too fast for him so thought this may be a good alternative.

Latitude 64 makes an easy to use putter, mid, & fairway driver for kids and begginers. I bought both my kids the diamond an easy to use fairway driver. Check them out...
http://www.latitude64.se/golf-discs/easy-to-use/

Latitude 64 makes an easy to use putter, mid, & fairway driver for kids and begginers. I bought both my kids the diamond an easy to use fairway driver. Check them out...
http://www.latitude64.se/golf-discs/easy-to-use/

And you will often see the diamonds in the 140s

My wife used to have a DX 139 sidewinder she could throw well, I gave it to a friends son.

I have a 144 starlight roadrunner and now after 8 months, it is just starting to get flippy (noddle arm)

I have a x-out 126 DX Valk
You just hold it above your head in a strong tail wind, then just let go of it, for your second longest drive ever

Seriously, its tough to do any thing with.

hahaha, you just got a serious guffaw out of me at 10 something in the morning.

especially because that drive STILL isn't as long as that one time, you had your favorite disc, and the stars aligned just right, and you had the perfect throwing motion and your drive just saiiiled. But there was nobody there to witness it.

On a somewhat unrelated but related note, has anyone else seen the Champ 150 Valks with bubbles in the rim? They look like Blizzards but aren't stamped as such.

Initial Impression: great disc for smaller arms

Overall seems to be a great disc, scaled at only 136 grams. It worked well for her even with 7 mph winds. Her throws were not much more than usual, but she had multiple layers, a winter coat, and a mildly hurt neck/shoulder. Those factors normally put her throws way lower. At the end of the round her last throw was her max distance of about 150ft, normally around 100ft. Her normal disc is a 150 Class Z Storm, which can be knocked around in the wind quite a bit. There were only a few times where that seemed to be a problem due to odd wind gusts. Otherwise most other throws were nice and straight with some fade at the end. I think this will be a great disc once the weather is a little better. I also like that the disc is flat on top and not domed like the StarLite Roadrunner. To me it's a fancy paper airplane, to her a future "go to" disc.

I have some for my kids...my 7 year old flicks them well. My 8 year old doesn't have the arm speed for them. If you want a decent selection of really light weight discs for kids, Gateway has the biggest selection of light weight plastic on the market.

I think the discs Innova is choosing to make in starlight plastic is just senseless and nothing more than a gimmick. Making high speed drivers in it makes sense but to make molds in discs that are already flippy as crap in this is just ridiculous. And this is coming from an older player also so no need to chime in and say that Masters players like them, not this one. Very disappointed in a lot of decisions Innova has been making.

I think it's great they make the flippy discs in super light weights. Not gimmicky or senseless at all. My 7 year old son is throwing a couple starlight Valks and is throwing them very well. His 160 DX Valk was still a little to stable for him but the Starlight Valk is perfect. They are a great disc for very you kids to learn with. I applaud Innova for making these!

Has anyone tried to let a young kid throw one of these? Seems like it could be a great disc for my 6 year old son.

It is hard to find lightweight discs that are slow enough and durable at the same time. My home course is all rocks so a DX disc is a waste of money for me - chewed up after 2-3 rounds.

He throws a really light super flippy Bliz Katana (135g) RHFH right now pretty well but I know it is way too fast for him so thought this may be a good alternative.

They are awesome for young players. I'm going to contact Innova and see if I can get a discount on about 50 of these for my sons school.

I saw these at my local shop today - the 137 felt really light and good in the hand. I like the texture and feel of Star Lite over Blizzard.

I'll get one someday....

Well, that day was today.

Picked up a 150 Star Lite Valk and played 9 holes today. I definitely flies like a Valk for me, good distance and nice healthy fade at the end. I was hitting some good distance with medium effort.

It seemed less flippy than a 148 Air Saint I've been using a lot lately, although the latter has had its share of tree shots.

Pretty similar discs otherwise. The Star-Lite plastic felt nice and grippy.

Some of the Star-Lite discs I was looking at had lots of bubbles in the rim. In mine the bubbles aren't evident.

Got out and threw this again this morning. What a disc - it has the best glide of any Innova disc I've thrown. It handled the breeze, and I was getting some good distance with poor footing and winter clothes on.

Very pleasantly surprised, as I didn't really remember too much about it.

I've bagged one of these at 149g for almost a year now. For downwind or no wind drives with an open fairway it is my go-to. Fastest disc in my bag is a 9 so this and a heavier star valk are my distance drivers.

Flies similar to a DX Valk for me, with maybe a touch more HSS than DX. I normally throw a star teebird around 290 to 310 and I get the Valk out to 350 downwind normally, with maybe 375 once.

Last edited:
I've bagged one of these at 149g for almost a year now. For downwind or no wind drives with an open fairway it is my go-to. Fastest disc in my bag is a 9 so this and a heavier star valk are my distance drivers.

Flies similar to a DX Valk for me, with maybe a touch more HSS than DX. I normally throw a star teebird around 290 to 310 and I get the Valk out to 350 downwind normally, with maybe 375 once.

I could see getting this out there in good conditions. I just laughed a few times when I threw it today, the flight was so awesome.

Sounds like a good disc for my wife, if the Valk characteristics stay intact with this mold. :thmbup:

Or you could grab a regular champ in the upper 150s. I have two that are every bit as reliable as their max weight counterparts. They are so great my wife stole one from me.