• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Wraith-X???

kern9787 said:
Typically, the faster drivers get more stable with more dome (more dome tends to mean a higher PLH in the faster discs).
And then again not. My domier orange ES-DD2s are less overstable than my flat green ones, the flat Star Katanas are definitely more overstable than the earlier, domier CFR runs, the flatter AJ Destroyers have been more overstable than the domier Star Destroyers I've tried... It's a very disc by disc, run by run thing.

People keep talking about "Wraith-X" here, are you really meaning a Wraith with a different wing shape, or just some that have a freaky high PLH? Hard to believe they'd make an "X-wing" Wraith...

On all of my Wraiths, flat = high PLH and domey = less stable. The dome/PLH connection is different from mold to mold and even run to run.

NoLifeLeft said:
On all of my Wraiths, flat = high PLH and domey = less stable. The dome/PLH connection is different from mold to mold and even run to run.

Must be. I've never thrown a flat wraith that was more stable than a domey one. Didn't know about the DD2 or Katana. The ones I was pretty sure about holding the more dome = higher plh were the Orc, Wraith, Destroyer, Boss, and Xcal. Most of my experience hands on was with a Wraith though.

I know one thing that was mentioned about the Xcal specifically was that the domier ones were more HSS and less LSS than flatter ones. It's been a while since I've thrown any flat wraiths, but would anybody say the same holds true for them? My domey ones are very straight. Good HSS and not a huge fade.

this just in, they did a run of destroyers, and mis-stamped them as wraiths

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh:

Clearwater just posted this on facebook...

The Star Wraith is the original Wraith mold, for now, with a smooth
bottom on the wing and phenomenal speed that few other drivers can
touch, to date. The "L" mold is a little less stable than the "X" mold
currently found in the Champion and DX. The grippy, low-profile,
low-friction Star plastic begs to be ripped into ...and will come screaming
out of your hand like a caged bird. It flies so far, it`s hard to hold
it back, and you may find yourself over driving some holes you used to
have trouble reaching. It starts out with a slow controlled hyzer
throughout it`s flight, so you`ll want to lay it outside of your target
slightly and let it slowly drift toward it. It will hyzer or anhyzer
readily if given the appropriate angle, but it`s real strength is in the
long distance precision drives that almost become second-nature with
this disc

...Are these referring to those super flat star wraiths or has there been a different run since those? Has anyone seen these?

I've got one one of those super flat wraiths and it is just ridiculous. If you want a wraith that won't flip...get your self one of these. I didn't care for it. It will go on my trade list this weekend.

I think that domey only means more stable when it is coupled with an increase in PLH, which is usually the case. But I've seen recently a number of disc mold variations where the domier of two otherwise equal PLH discs is actually less stable than the flat one.

Amazing how confounding analyisis of disc shapes and flight variations can be, isn't it?

BLURR said:
I've got one one of those super flat wraiths and it is just ridiculous. If you want a wraith that won't flip...get your self one of these. I didn't care for it. It will go on my trade list this weekend.

Yeah, same with my experience... my friend GAVE me (that should've raised the first flag) one of these flat Wraiths, and I couldn't believe it, so overstable, not the disc I know and love. I've always really enjoyed domey wraiths.

so today I put up one of the flat wraiths side by side to a domey one and the PLH of the flatter one was so much higher than the domey one. Pretty sure they were both actual wraiths...

The whole PLH thing makes you go whoa when you really start to see all the differences. Now I just wish it was consistent across different molds...

Do any of you Wraith throwers throw the meathook ones as headwind discs? It seems nice not to have to go to a different mold for headwindery.

NoLifeLeft said:
I've never had one stable enough to trust into more than a mild headwind.
This. I would love to have one though. I recently picked up a Z Crush thinking it might fit the bill for a more stable Wraith that can handle a bit of headwind.

NoLifeLeft said:
I've never had one stable enough to trust into more than a mild headwind.

I have a stabilized, i think, Champ Wraith with a huge dome that was way too hard fading for me when i averaged 370-380' with good throws and got to 400' rarely with gimmicky discs.

What the hell is PLH? Forgive me. I throw a lot of Wraiths so I want to know what you are talking about.
Thanks

Could we PLEASE get a sticky about PLH (and other stuff) with pictures included?

But, yeah, this is a good example:
2mocbpw.jpg

Two opto strikers, overstable one on the right.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15165

Marmoset should probably edit the first post to fit the purpose better.