• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Wraith

Crimson75

Eagle Member
I have been out of "Innovaland" for quite some time...I recently bought a Star Teebird and a Roc and have never played better...I found a max weight Star Wraith yesterday and threw it a few times before calling the owner....I was expecting it to be like a 169 champ I had a year ago but I was way wrong...the star flattens out, turns just a hair and comes back gently....I was only getting it about 35 feet longer than my Teebird, but I look forward to buying one that is a bit lighter...Anybody use the stars for your main distance driver?

yeah, I do and love 'em. I have one that's a little worn, so it's great for my arm. Max I've thrown between 375'-400', but most of the time, I'm around 330', so being a little worn, it's a great dead straight with consistent fade for me. A new one will work in a pretty stiff headwind, too. I've seen my new one thrown 450'+ up hill by one of the pros at the Loreilla Open (it was so awesome) and it didn't flip, so I know it can take a lot of distance without flipping. My weights are around 166g. I like the champs because the wear into a pretty good distance turnover disc.

The champ I have is 169 and only a little more domey than the star and it flies MUCH more stable...I don't know if that little bit of dome makes that much difference or whether it is just a quirk?

Jesse B 707 said:
if you want it to be easier to power (flip up) then get a champ instead

This is not a true statement. I've seen ri-damn-diculous variation in high speed stability among champion wraiths. From my experience flippy ones have a more clear champion look, the stable ones have a more crackled ice look.

Jeronimo said:
Jesse B 707 said:
if you want it to be easier to power (flip up) then get a champ instead

This is not a true statement. I've seen ri-damn-diculous variation in high speed stability among champion wraiths. From my experience flippy ones have a more clear champion look, the stable ones have a more crackled ice look.

Could probably just check out the dome. Domey tends to be more high speed stable. Star tends to be more domey, althought there are domey champs too, I just don't see them near as often.

I keep my wraith in the bag almost exclusively for holes over 400 (I've been putting my teebird about 380 consistently and my PD/OLF a bit over 400). For me, my star wraith (172) is teebird straight with a solid fade. I've hit 450 with it, but not consistent with it (yet).

Tossin' in Memphis said:
I have been out of "Innovaland" for quite some time...I recently bought a Star Teebird and a Roc and have never played better...I found a max weight Star Wraith yesterday and threw it a few times before calling the owner....I was expecting it to be like a 169 champ I had a year ago but I was way wrong...the star flattens out, turns just a hair and comes back gently....I was only getting it about 35 feet longer than my Teebird, but I look forward to buying one that is a bit lighter...Anybody use the stars for your main distance driver?
So...you're thinking of trading the Surge out for the Wraith? Motive?

Anakha said:
Tossin' in Memphis said:
So...you're thinking of trading the Surge out for the Wraith? Motive?

Lost the surge in a lake months ago.....In Memphis, there is literally NOWHERE to buy Dcraft discs...If I want to try something new, I have to simply order it without getting to test out the feel, etc. I have had some REALLY great experiences w dcraft and I particularly love the ESP Cyclone and the preds....this period of dcraft time has really helped improve my technique and form...I like the idea of literally driving down the street and having 100's of Innova discs to choose from. it isn't so much a replacement due to superiority, just practibility.

Not to thread jack, but if you head down to wall doxey state park, their pro shop carries a decent selection of discraft. It's like a half hour drive, and you can play 2 pretty decent courses.

rooneytunes said:
Not to thread jack, but if you head down to wall doxey state park, their pro shop carries a decent selection of discraft. It's like a half hour drive, and you can play 2 pretty decent courses.

That is very good to hear..I have played all the local courses but have not made it down to walldoxie yet! Have you played the reservoir course down in Jackson MS? My in-laws live there and I like that course alot...

The newer 12X star wraiths are very nice. They have nice plastic and are domey. They do tend to be a bit stable. I can put a big throw on one of these and keep it from flipping.

Enormous distance potential with the star wraith. They do tend to be more stable than champions too.

twmccoy said:
The newer 12X star wraiths are very nice. They have nice plastic and are domey. They do tend to be a bit stable. I can put a big throw on one of these and keep it from flipping.

Enormous distance potential with the star wraith. They do tend to be more stable than champions too.
You have me very intrested in trying another champ wraith..like I said, I may just have a fluke champ wraith because it has a noticeable amount of fade to it?...I'll be on th lookout at my local shop

Tossin' in Memphis said:
twmccoy said:

You have me very intrested in trying another champ wraith..like I said, I may just have a fluke champ wraith because it has a noticeable amount of fade to it?...I'll be on th lookout at my local shop

I thought the same thing and then I found one without a name and it seems to be just broken in. I like it a lot.

Careful with the stars, I've noticed that after a certain time period they "break in" and become flippy little bastards. This was the reason I stopped throwing them my first go around. I don't know if they've gotten any better, I haven't broken in my latest star wraith to that degree yet.

Tossin' in Memphis said:

I alternate between a 161g domey Star Wraith, a 175g Star Valkyrie, a 173g ESP Avenger SS, and a 167g Star Sidewinder for my primary distance drivers. The Valkyrie goes furthest for me, but the others are only shorter by about 20 or so ft (I have between 300-330 ft of distance potential throwing backhand, depending on the day). I've had all these discs for a while and they haven't really beat in much at all despite much abuse.

I use the star wraith for several throws...I throw it for hyzer flips when playing into the wind. I also huck it when I feel like I might over-power/turn-over my valkyrie, since it is a tad more stable. I also can obtain long slowly fading hyzers from the wraith for gradually turning fairways. The star wraith also has a nice skip when it hits a flat patch of ground, which can be quite useful (though not as big a skip as the Boss...which is the king skipper in my bag).

PS...I also have a 175g Star Wraith from an older run. It flies somewhat differently (much more stable), but also a great disc.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
twmccoy said:

I've tried numerous champion (and CFR) wraiths and found that stars are more stable than any of them. Champions glide nicely though.

twmccoy said:

These days you never know when Innova started to put the stabilization to some discs and didn't mark them differently than regular discs. I've got a 166 Champ Wraith with a humongous dome that is a super pig like a Predator but faster meaning once it starts to fade it's farther out but the fade occurs at a higher speed. If you can't exceed that speed it's even in D to the slower Pred but more to the left. Or even shorter. Crazy variations...

OK, so old thread bump here, but I really like the way things have evolved lately with the disc discussion under a thread topic related to said disc.

I just wanted to remind people that the Wraith is friggin' awesome. For everyone caught up in the speed 13 frenzy, don't forget these bad boys. I had all but quit throwing mine until the last few days.

The shot that made me want to post on here though was the roller with a star Wraith. If you dig a the roller shot give the Wraith a shot, I almost always use a RR for that, but they finish to the right a good bit and the Wraith stays up longer almost to the point of just rolling until it loses all steam and just flops over.

The most impressive shots I've ever seen from Climo have been Wraith rollers...He pinned a 540' shot on a ball golf course competing against me...There was landscaping all around and his disc carved back and forth right through it. If the shot is over 400' he really likes to roll his Wraiths (I don't really see him use them for airshots anymore though).

All the talk about stars being more stable than champs is wierd to me. All the champs i have had have been significantly more stable than the stars. I carry 2 stars right now that one is straight and one is beat to flippy. They are an awesome disc but definitely not overstable after a month or so of use. I had a champ one for like 2 and a half years and it just wouldn't beat to straight. It always finished left. Maybe i had a freak i guess. Anyway i love the 12x star wraiths :D