• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

star

it would overlap, but wouldnt. I have been using the SOLS for my control driver for a week. Its much straighter than an avenger. the OLS gets alittle more turn than the SOLS (duh) similar to the turn on a new X avenger. Try one out, it depends on what you like using the SOLS for, but I think it could replace X avengers.

I think they compliment each other well, not overlap. I use the SOLF for long stable flights in most wind conditions. I use the SOLS for S shots and huge downwind D. I just recently picked these up, but I am loving what I've seen so far. They may replace up to 4 other discs in my bag (star valk, dx valk, champ starfire, dx viking). I've never thrown a disc that long (SOLF) that is that accurate and controllable.

the orion molds not overlap each other the x avenger overlaps the OLS, they both get a touch of high speed turn and less fade.

I am currently carrying a SOLF and SOLS, and an OLS.

and yes I think the SOLF is the most controllable driver that gets its distance as consistantly. I can reach pins on a hyzer line (flattend hyzer but no turn at all) that I used to need to S to reach. The inferno is longer on the same line, but not as contolable, it will be reserved for MAX D only, and I will probably only carry one (which is against my developed nature to maximize versitility in stages of wear)
I still have to decide wether the OLS or the Inferno will make a better roller, The infernos dome makes me think it wont be the choice.

aw to hell with it.....i'm gonna lazerus this thread.....and plus i'm curious......what does everyone think of star plastic in 2009?

is it still worth ~$15 USD.....

i kinda like it.....but i like champ and dx type stuff too....i don't have any experience with pro type stuff

let's wake this bad boy up

lotta mercy

It's always nice to dig up an old thread! I still prefer champ/z/quantum plastic. Star/esp/sirius etc. doesn't seem to be as consistant to me, and it doesn't last long enough to justify the price.

Bradley Walker said:
mzuleger said:
doesn't seem to be as consistant to me, and it doesn't last long enough to justify the price.

Huh? So you are "wearing out" Star discs?

I would like to see that...

Star plastic sucks on rocky courses. They chunk out way worse than champ plastic. Not a huge deal for most people though. The one thing I find interesting about the star plastic is that it does completely break down in rigidity or something after about a year of heavy play. Once this happens to me, regardless of the mold, you basically have a crazy uber flippy disc. I've really only being throwing wraiths and sidewinders for long periods to achieve this. I know this happens with all plastics, but my champ discs take a few years to get into this condition. I have a pro candy firebird that is a 4 year old roller. It has finally reached this condition and flies like a teebird in the air. So from my point of view assuming a few rounds a week, you have about this time period per innova plastic before the mold your throwing becomes something less stable:

dx - 1-3 months
star - 6 months - 2 years
champ - 2 years - 4 years

In general, I think star plastic sucks in many ways. Throw dx in the rain or for more D and champ for durability. Star plastic shouldn't be more cost than champ and I really wonder if the intial cost is less than champ and then just mark it up.

I'm going to have to agree with plastic_fondler,

I noticed my star discs don't handle very well on rocky surfaces. I've had my champs for the longest time and to this day no gouges. Yeah..they're flippier but I'm willing to pay the price for a plastic that feels grippy all the time. I've been wanting to experiment more with Pro plastic to see how I like them.

but yeah.. you're estimates are about right for wear with each plastic line. I play 2-3 times a week as well.

Bradley Walker said:
mzuleger said:
doesn't seem to be as consistant to me, and it doesn't last long enough to justify the price.

Huh? So you are "wearing out" Star discs?

I would like to see that...

I wouldn't say their un-usable but they are more expensive and less durable than champ. I still have my share of star/esp, I just prefer champ/z.

I have found the problem that although sweet they get squirelly. I have had two teebirds go from money from a small hyzer flip to hard not to turn over in one collision.

the grip is worth the quicker beat in time. i can't throw champion at all in cold or rain. actually, i even have a problem with it in hot weather if my hands get a little sweaty. i don't care how much more durable it is. i want to be able to hold onto the disc.

My beef with Star is that there are different levels of "grippyness". I have a really stiff and slick star Teebird and a nice and tacky star Valkyrie. I wish all star had the tacky feel of my star Valk...not a fan of the stiff and slick star. I also have some Destroyers that are tacky and some are slick...same with my Stingrays. I have no issues with the durability...holds up pretty good for me.

According to Dave D's recent PDGA postings, that slick stuff is done for, and the grippy stuff is all that will be produced in the future.

BIG MACK said:
My beef with Star is that there are different levels of "grippyness". I have a really stiff and slick star Teebird and a nice and tacky star Valkyrie. I wish all star had the tacky feel of my star Valk...not a fan of the stiff and slick star.

I agree. I wish they were all of the grippy variety, and that there were more consistency in the quality and properties of Innova plastics. However, I have noticed that my more recent purchases of Star plastic have been of the grippy variety, so maybe it is an evolution over time?

well how about distance wise?

i thought the old addage was like this DX>Proline>Champ for distance.

where does the star stuff fit in?

is it some kind of retooled pro plastic and we have been bamboozled?

crimeny it's not even 6 a.m.

isn't star some type of a mix of champ & pro? this was a hot topic when star came out in 2006. don't know any facts, just rumours.

I like Star, I mean sure it doesn't last as long as champ but it still lasts around a year til it becomes a roller for me in most molds. I still have an 06 star roc in the bag that is still dead straight and it has been getting use since I bought it. For a disc that cost 15 bucks a year is a pretty long time for it to stay in the bag.

keltik said:

This is a tough question because it depends on the mold and the run. For instance, I've never found a DX Teebird that I couldn't consistently throw further than Champ, until the newer opaque 12x TBs came out, which had more dome. Since then, I've seen about equally consistent D from Champ and DX. Before the 12x Champ, the Stars were longer than 11x and shorter than DX, w/ Pro being basically a no-show in that mold. Now D for me from highest to lowest goes DX/Champ, then Star.

Beside run variations, plastic formulations are changing, too. The newest Pro I've felt and thrown feels like the old stiff/slick Star, and flies very similarly. DX has gone through some soft and flat trends, but seems to be fairly stiff and domey again. I don't think its as easy to answer the distance question anymore.

cmlasley said:
keltik said:

This is a tough question because it depends on the mold and the run. For instance, I've never found a DX Teebird that I couldn't consistently throw further than Champ, until the newer opaque 12x TBs came out, which had more dome. Since then, I've seen about equally consistent D from Champ and DX. Before the 12x Champ, the Stars were longer than 11x and shorter than DX, w/ Pro being basically a no-show in that mold. Now D for me from highest to lowest goes DX/Champ, then Star.

Beside run variations, plastic formulations are changing, too. The newest Pro I've felt and thrown feels like the old stiff/slick Star, and flies very similarly. DX has gone through some soft and flat trends, but seems to be fairly stiff and domey again. I don't think its as easy to answer the distance question anymore.

I agree with cmlasley on this. Formulations have changed too much across all the different plastics to make any hard-and-fast rules that apply to all plastics. The Pro plastic Teebirds I threw felt great but were absolute crap in the air --- I could fling piles of elephant poo farther and with more accuracy. Yet some of the other molds in the Pro plastic -- like the Pro Wraiths -- go farther and better than any other plastic (until they hit ONE tree, then they are done for).

Too many factors and too many inconsistencies and exceptions to every rule.

I'd say in GENERAL, someone's post earlier was close, but I'd be a little more conservative. My estimates, assuming play 3-4 times a week on courses with moderate trees and no crazy rocks/concrete. If you play more/less often no courses with more/less ravaging terrain, adjust accordingly.

DX - starts to break-in in 1-3 months
Pro - 1-3 months
Star - 3 months to 18 months
Champ - 6 months to 2 years
old CE - 1 year to 5 years

The trick is, too, that this is a rough estimate. Different discs are far more sensitive than others. Blunt discs take longer to break in; super-fast discs take much less time to break in. A DX Roc can age nicely over years. A DX Destroyer can be useless in a couple of months.

A good friend plays all the time and uses his Champ 2005 USDGC Eye Roc for probably half his shots. It's finally getting broken in after 3 years of play. My brother's got some CE Teebirds/Firebirds in his bag that have been there since 2003 and are still close to their original flight... The Valks beat up a lot faster than that, however (faster disc).

And as people have said, star plastic varies a lot. Some star is super stiff and some is super grippy, and I haven't had any star in my bag long enough to know for sure how it will hold up. I know the Star Destroyers that I've had in there a little under a year are already noticeably flippier than they started out. And I don't play as often as a lot of people (probably 4-6 rounds a month on average, usually packed into two days of intense play).

On the other hand, I've got Star and Champ Rocs that are awesome and, have been in the bag 6-12 months and haven't changed a bit.

now lets throw a wrench in the gears.....is all of this the same for ESP and other "high grade" blends from other manufacturers???

and also do the manufacturers know that the "candy" stuff is "shorter" than the cheap stuff?.....and why do the charge so much for the stuff?

and why am i such a used disc whore?

Latest posts