• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State of the Finnish disc golf business

jaos

So I decided to see how the Finnish disc golf companies are doing. Law requires even smallish companies to reveal quite a lot of info. I have no relations with these companies nor do I know much about their business, I just gathered some public info.

Profit number is probably profit before tax. Numbers are from 2014 and (2013). Could't find Prodiscus' numbers.

Innova Champion Europe (Meresmaa's company, essentially Discmania and Disc Golf Park)

Revenue: 3 591 000 euros (2 618 000)
Profit: 346 000 e (239 000)

Westside Imports (I'm guessing the company behind Westside Discs):

Revenue: 654 000 e (477 000)
Profit: 147 000 e (48 000)

Frisbeepoint (a major dg retailer):

Revenue: 700 000 e (534 000)
Profit: 22 000 e (46 000)

Powergrip (another retailer):

Revenue: 668 000 e (536 000)
Profit: 41 000 e (50 000)

Revenue adds to about 5,6 million euros. Lots of sales come from big sports retailers, so I don't think it's impossible that the market could add up to 9 million, as has been suggested.

You can see that revenue is up in every company. I don't think it's suprising, since the sport has exploded.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm putting Finland on my bucket list...sounds like disc golf Valhalla.

Am I the only one reading these numbers and seeing retailers barely scraping by? No clue of cost of living in the towns these retailers are based but only 20 or 40k profit...that is what the owner takes home to pay the rent and car and such. Unless your business owns your home and that is paid by the business and already considered. Looks like a lot of hard work and not a ton to show for it if you're a retailer

its really hard to tell from these numbers given. "profit" is one thing vs what people are being paid to work. Not sure how those actually breakdown. Id assume that is just after a LOT of $ has been paid out and left witg what is being capitalized on for future investment. Still pretty weak. Then again my thread re:retail model on premium plastic was crazy so what do I know :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's likely the cost of doing business includes all employee salaries including the CEO/President. If true, then profit is (on paper) literally independent of the cost of living.

Looks like a total of 4.1million gross spread out through the 4 comps. Not huge numbers by any means, but I'm sure the focus is more on surviving long enough to profit from the eventual explosion when/if it occurs.

Am I the only one reading these numbers and seeing retailers barely scraping by? No clue of cost of living in the towns these retailers are based but only 20 or 40k profit...that is what the owner takes home to pay the rent and car and such. Unless your business owns your home and that is paid by the business and already considered. Looks like a lot of hard work and not a ton to show for it if you're a retailer

You could be running at a loss for the first few years and still be earning well as the owner of a business. These are declared profits not the owners income.

Just ask Amazon....

profit is after all wages are paid out. low profits probably mean that the companies are investing a lot back into the business to ensure future growth.

I'm going to agree with Chains, it's hard to judge. I will point out a couple of things: No comparison to American companies, really can't; no notion of staff to know how people are doing overall; no historical perspective; the Euro is not the dollar; nationalized health care -health care being the top expenditure in the US market that these guys get for free.

There just isn't enough information to make a rational assessment other than they doen't seem to be operating in the red.

I'm going to agree with Chains, it's hard to judge. I will point out a couple of things: No comparison to American companies, really can't; no notion of staff to know how people are doing overall; no historical perspective; the Euro is not the dollar; nationalized health care -health care being the top expenditure in the US market that these guys get for free.

There just isn't enough information to make a rational assessment other than they doen't seem to be operating in the red.

^^^This. Thank you for saying what others are thinking. If more people running the sport had the ability to reason and have well thought out ideas like this or just listened to people that have rational perspectives and foresight, the sport would thrive.

I think at least Powergrip is doing fine. I believe owners don't do anything else for their living. They throw out a lot of cash to help build events and they have a few team players. They wouldn't give out all that money if they were low on cash, they are very well known so they really don't have to do it just to advertise.

What comes to better revenue, lower profit thingy, they moved to a bigger estate and did a lot of renovation, so that might explain it.

Actually, if you make 2500 euros after taxes in northern Finland, you can easily come by even if you have mortgage and a car. Of course it's more difficult if you have ****loads of children.