• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State with the most active Disc Golfers?

I'd say So Cal and maybe Michigan, but if it's not already Top 5 it will be destroying it soon. There are people coming out in flocks to courses all over the state. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Coleman25 said:
Ive lived in North Dakota (Grand Forks) and it was dead.

Las Vegas Not too active (97-02)

Portland, OR (Didn't pick up a single disc when I lived there)

Ft Collins, CO We have a decent league, but there are ALOT of casual players here.

Where do you think has the most active scene?
Just caught up with this thread...WOW, you lived in Portland in say 02-03 and didn't pick up a disc...you were on the good meds when you were here. It wasn't for lack of courses or a DG community. Come back for a visit, and bring your discs.

why does everyone keep saying "so-cal"???
california is the name of the state and norcal has tons of great players... like nate doss, josh anthon, gregg barsby etc... tons of players in general.

we do not have a huge density of courses in california mostly due to land being very valuable. it is not an easy feat to convince someone or a city that disc golf is a worthy cause for their land. most course building here is a long process. golden gate park is unbelievably crowded come 4pm on the weekdays or noon on the weekends. de la veaga is the same way... santa cruz has a HUGE scene as it's been around for 20+ years.
in sf we got stafford lake only 35mins away which is one of the nicest courses around. de la is about an hour and a half. there's some other littler guys in the area too... some of which are great (napa, hellyer, la raza).
out in the boonies more you fund areas with 3 or 5 courses all within a half hour (grass valley, sacramento, ukiah).
lake tahoe now has 4 courses and the 2 on the south shore are REALLY sweet. bijou takes 5+ hours to play in a tourney.

but yeah, less courses and more golfers is how california is. it started here, so we've had the longest amount of time to establish our community... i'm guessing we're the state with the most golfers. not that it makes us better than anyone else. i wish i had 10 courses to choose from everyday!

presidio hills said:
why does everyone keep saying "so-cal"???
california is the name of the state and norcal has tons of great players... like nate doss, josh anthon, gregg barsby etc... tons of players in general.

we do not have a huge density of courses in california mostly due to land being very valuable. it is not an easy feat to convince someone or a city that disc golf is a worthy cause for their land. most course building here is a long process. golden gate park is unbelievably crowded come 4pm on the weekdays or noon on the weekends. de la veaga is the same way... santa cruz has a HUGE scene as it's been around for 20+ years.
in sf we got stafford lake only 35mins away which is one of the nicest courses around. de la is about an hour and a half. there's some other littler guys in the area too... some of which are great (napa, hellyer, la raza).
out in the boonies more you fund areas with 3 or 5 courses all within a half hour (grass valley, sacramento, ukiah).
lake tahoe now has 4 courses and the 2 on the south shore are REALLY sweet. bijou takes 5+ hours to play in a tourney.

but yeah, less courses and more golfers is how california is. it started here, so we've had the longest amount of time to establish our community... i'm guessing we're the state with the most golfers. not that it makes us better than anyone else. i wish i had 10 courses to choose from everyday!

We say SoCal becaquse there were once different PDGA regions. Also you have to drive 10 hours up that strip of a state to get to NorCal.

Triplebogey said:
scoot_er said:
.... Also you have to drive 10 hours up that strip of a state to get to NorCal.

If you drive like an old granny. 90mph on I-5 gets you there in a little over 5 hours.

All I remember about I-5 was stop n go Traffic.

Hehe, I'd say it's fair to break CA into So Cal and Nor Cal, even though they're the same on the map, it feels like 2 different states for sure. I generally draw the line around Monterey as CA's "Mason-Dixon". :lol:

But yeah, it's not that bad of a drive to go from one to the other, unless you're going from one deep end to the other. Santa Barbara to the SF Bay Area took about 4 hours IIRC, and that was on 101, which is slower than I-5 generally. If I wanted to go to "true Nor Cal" though, like Mendocino, that'd be another 4 hours on top. And anything around LA can certainly extend your drive time depending on time of day and luck of the draw.

Now, there' s no way in hades that Montana could compete in this in a pure number count. And thank god for that!

But on a per capita basis...
We'd give a good showing.

100+ members in the Garden City Flyers.
In a town of barly over 100,000.

Largest club in the Inland Northwest.
maybe top three in the whole Northwest.
Not familiar enough with Portland or Seattle area clubs to honestly claim that.

On the per capita basis, Montana's DG scene is huge.
Look at that hit em all map.
We've got as many courses as Arizona does.
Ya could fit everyone in Montana into just Tucson and there still be room left over.

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
Largest club in the Inland Northwest.
maybe top three in the whole Northwest.
Not familiar enough with Portland or Seattle area clubs to honestly claim that.

Definitely doing better than Seattle...we don't even have a true organized club here.

You guys in Zooland have always been on the leading edge of the curve. While living in Spokane in the 1980s we drove often to the Blue Monster, and a host of other object courses on private property near St. Regis. In the PNW the Zoo scene takes it for seniority, period. Keep it going guys,
J
ps. GCF visor on order, can't wait to sport that bad baby. j

Frank_Delicious said:
North Carolina is pretty active we are just kinda fractured.

North carolina is very active in the charlotte courses i goto. i think nc is a good starter for someone whos just starting out and playing for the first time.