• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Storing discs outdoors

tampabay

Double Eagle Member
I don't know if anyone has experience with this but I'd love some feedback, especially from someone who has years of experience.

I want to store discs in an outdoor shed, it's not weather treated but nothing in there will get direct contact with water/rain.

I have no opposition to storing them in air-tight rubbermaids or even individually zip-locked. Does anyone have experience with this over a long period of time? Will my discs stay well preserved?

The change from hot to cold isn't nearly as bad as being exposed to UV light all the time- but still not the best for the plastic. My brother in law keeps his discs in his trunk though- and they seem to be ok- he is always b!tching about turning stuff over though

I think as long as you keep it out of prolonged direct sunlight or extreme temperatures and stack em well you should be able to store em outside with little problems. The plastics are pretty resilient in normal day to day life. UV degredation is the main enemy.

I agree; Sunlight, standing water, and extreme temperatures are the only things I'd worry about. A shed will block the sun, which will keep it from getting extremely hot, so as long as they're dry I don't think you'd need any additional protection over being in a shed.

I don't have years of experience, but I do have a lot of discs that have sat outside for a year or so.

I have years of experience and I have discs that have been stored in an un-insulated garage for years. As long as the discs are stored out of UV light and in the proper position, the discs should be fine stored in a shed.

I have years of experience and I have discs that have been stored in an un-insulated garage for years. As long as the discs are stored out of UV light and in the proper position, the discs should be fine stored in a shed.

Be wary of storage warp. I have had discs get slightly bent from being poorly stored over long periods of time. However, they came back to true after soaking them in hot water and allowing them to cool on a flat surface.

If discs are not stored in the proper position, they can easily warp even in a perfectly temperature controlled environment.

You also want to keep all the dust out.

I'm curious here as well. What is the best method for stacking discs? Should you stack them vertically with the flight plates parallel with the ground or vertically with the discs perpendicular to the ground?

I'm curious here as well. What is the best method for stacking discs? Should you stack them vertically with the flight plates parallel with the ground or vertically with the discs perpendicular to the ground?

I am curious about this as well. I currently have my extra discs lined up (perpendicular to the ground) along a shelf in a closet. Haven't noticed and issues yet.

I am curious about this as well. I currently have my extra discs lined up (perpendicular to the ground) along a shelf in a closet. Haven't noticed and issues yet.

Seems like HOW they are packaged is more important than the overall orientation. If you look at manufactures product shelves the discs often are stacked on top of each other but mailed out wholesale both ways. I have discs stored both ways inside and outside. As long as there is no room to move around and supported on all sides vs bottom edge, there isn't a warping problem. Same thing with having discs stacked up though you don't want to create any suction issues or have different mold dimensions etc.

Mine are stacked with discs perpendicular to the ground. If they are stacked like pancakes, one disc can get out of alignment and it can warp along with any discs that get out of alignment next to it. Stacked discs can also get sucked together if they don't have the little stickers on the edge. Also, I live in California, so stacking up and down means they can shift around during an earthquake. If they are all on the side, it doesn't matter if they move around a little when the Earth shakes.

My discs are stored like this: lllll not this = or this ///// or this \\\\\\

I have discs from when I started playing 18 years ago that are still looking good.

Seems like HOW they are packaged is more important than the overall orientation. If you look at manufactures product shelves the discs often are stacked on top of each other but mailed out wholesale both ways. I have discs stored both ways inside and outside. As long as there is no room to move around and supported on all sides vs bottom edge, there isn't a warping problem. Same thing with having discs stacked up though you don't want to create any suction issues or have different mold dimensions etc.

Mine are stacked with discs perpendicular to the ground. If they are stacked like pancakes, one disc can get out of alignment and it can warp along with any discs that get out of alignment next to it. Stacked discs can also get sucked together if they don't have the little stickers on the edge. Also, I live in California, so stacking up and down means they can shift around during an earthquake. If they are all on the side, it doesn't matter if they move around a little when the Earth shakes.

My discs are stored like this: lllll not this = or this ///// or this \\\\\\

I have discs from when I started playing 18 years ago that are still looking good.

Ok, cool. Good to know. I will just keep mine in the |||||| orientation, then. It always seemed to make the most sense to me, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback here guys. I'm a teacher and take some long vacations in the summer. I'm about to get out of town so I'm glad I know how to store my plastic!

Thanks for the feedback here guys. I'm a teacher and take some long vacations in the summer. I'm about to get out of town so I'm glad I know how to store my plastic!

Another teacher who is a DJ? Man we must be few and far between- or incredibly common to run across each other on a disc golf forum.

no matter how you stack or store em' just make sure they are tight. If you want to keep the color on a baseline white-ish disc put it in a bag. I would do that with any baseline plastic really if I planned on throwing it in the future.

Another teacher who is a DJ? Man we must be few and far between- or incredibly common to run across each other on a disc golf forum.

Great minds think alike! I have the handle from my college years when I would volunteer at our university's station. I loved it - getting to share music with a vast audience and hearing new releases was incredible. I still consider myself to be a DJ sometimes. Every road trip and gathering at my place deserves its own mix!