• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight fairway drivers

TheBGKid

I am having extreme difficulty finding a near straight fairway driver. I tried the Stalker but it turns too much, and I'm hesitant about going back to the TeeBird after the 12x Run. The TL interests me but I hate Star platic. Also, I dont feel like taking the time to beat in a DX disc. The XL looks like something I may try, but they all have different stabilities in the plastic and I dont want to buy all four types. Anyway, I guess I'm looking for a disc that fit in between the 11x TeeBirds and a TL, if that disc even exists. Maybe ever so slight turn, but for the most part when I throw it down the fairway I know its not going to turn, nor is it going to hyzer hard at the end.

Whats an average drive for you distance wise?

First thing that comes to mind for me is a champ glow gazelle. Holds a line beautifully for me and doesn't really turn much unless I really get after it.

It's a little slower, but Gateway Sabres are really straight fairway drivers. They can be long discs if you throw them high enough, not much longer than midranges on line drives.

kern9787 said:
Whats an average drive for you distance wise?

First thing that comes to mind for me is a champ glow gazelle. Holds a line beautifully for me and doesn't really turn much unless I really get after it.

Average about 375. My distance has gone down since I dont play as much this year.

I've got a Pro-D XL and it's become my go to fairway driver as well as forehand driver off the tee. When thrown low enough, I get good distance from it and it just sits down. Another one is my Archangel. Dead balls straight and very slight fade.

QJLS fits in right where you are looking. The newer ones start out a little more stable but will soon be nice and straight.

Steve said:
QJLS fits in right where you are looking. The newer ones start out a little more stable but will soon be nice and straight.

Yeah, in your description you basically describe a QJLS...There are stable Champ Leopards that might work for that.

At those distances Champ TBs should be pretty darn straight. I've only thrown one that wasn't, but that thing was more overstable than my C-PDs.

Leopard is straight but at the distance the OP is throwing there is something to correct in the form if he is turning over fresh Stalkers in calm conditions. Headwinds are a different matter and so are worn discs. Maybe he has a bum Stalker? If not then it is form correction time. If his disc is worn a new one would correct the situation and if he can take the extra fade a Glo Z Stalker with the non straight fade would delay the breaking into flipping part. Leo is still straighter while being a little longer. And straighter than at least some of the QJLS. I've heard that some here have less flipping and less fading QJLSs than i had. The ones i had quickly convinced me to switch the straight fw disc into something better. Stalker and Leopard both qualify.

JR I throw my Leopard on flat lines(anny or straight)

QJLS is for hyzer flip straight shots. So you're correct about how it flies

That should probably have been noted heh

I'd keep working with the stalker. Hard to find disc that flies straighter imo. Have you tried a glo stalker or a first run at max weight? The glo z's can be pretty darn beefy. Mine won't turn unless I'm trying to throw them well past 350' at that point I'm discing up to PD anyways. I've tried a lot of other discs in the same class as the stalker and find they either turn too much or fade too much compared to a stalker.

My z Stalker is crazy straight. CRAZY! lol. It's a fun disc with nice glide but my champ Leopard beats it out for versatility.

Latest posts