• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange Question?

kiscodisc

Bogey Member
I have little hands which can be a pain with all the new wide rim drivers. The question is this, what Discrat disc has a rim like the Predator but is better suited for Max-D? The reason I ask is the Pred is pretty long, but the rim isn't as wide as alot of other discs.

I know you asked for discraft ... but the millenium sirius-olf is really long (I'm throwing them 400+) and has a surpringly narrow rim.

the XL and XS are the thinner/smaller rims. Blake could probably name the year, but I think just about all the drivers before the wide rimmed debuted would work for you. Mostly it's the "super fast" discs that have the wide rims.

Also could trying the viking or valkyrie.

Depending on what your need is for the disc (stable, wind, distance, etc.) I'd ask around for other types - i.e. the SOLF just mentioned or an Inferno, etc.

Wildcat, for a Max D driver, it is a very small rim. Trust me, I was throwing an X Wildcat for a while.

I will second the wildcat as a long range driver. Think of it as a beast in Z plastic, and a valk in X plastic. I also have small hands, and the wildcat works perfectly. I only throw Z Wildcats right now, and have a few X just laying around if you want to try them.

I have little hands which can be a pain with all the new wide rim drivers
I have the same issue. Although not a discraft disc you might want to try a SOLF or an SOLS. Smaller rim and flies about the same distance as some of the larger rim drivers.

Interesting... I have smallish hands but wide-rim drivers don't bother me, it's DEEP discs that bug me.

That said, yeah, check out the SOLF and SOLS. There's a guy on eBay ("Dynamic Discs") who's got good prices, will try to get any weight you want, and will even dye 'em for you.

In order of ease of grip for me: Not so max D disc but a decent fairway disc Storm. Next Flick if you don't mind a hard fading disc. SOLF for fairly benign fade characteristics for such a long and straightish long D driver. Next Talon for more normal fading than Flick but still fairly hard fading. Only after these I would try the XS. YMMV.

Hey guys, he said that the Avenger (Solfs would fall in the catagory too) didn't work for him. :roll:

P.S. You can also try an XS?

I you havent tried the XL, I highly recommend it. I can get nearly as much D as I can with valks and the rim is small like a gazelle. In my opinion moving to something faster would not be a good idea until you feel completely comfortable controlling something like an XL. Personally, I prefer the z xl, but if you want something flippier then the x or d XL is the way to go.

You could also try the ESP XL - it's gotten good reviews.

As for the Avenger being the same as a SOLF (falling into same category), I don't believe that's true. The Avenger has a different lip than the SOLF. The discs might fly in a similar pattern, but I've had better success with the SOLF than the Avenger (and I actually liked the Avenger).

I'd still recommend XL, XS first though.

I didn't say that the ARE the same, I ment that they are very Simler. I prefer the X Avenger because, I like that Feel of X or Esp better than Sirius and it is more inexpensive. It also flies about 90-95% the same way too. You may like it more because you want to like it more. :roll:

If you were to get a Flick I would recommend the 150 class. It behaves differently than the heavier Flicks but still has significant fade. Concerning the Flick, however, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like the wider-rimmed discs. The sharpness of the rim of the disc makes it feel like a wide-rimmed disc, imo.

You might like a Venom, although it, too, might be a bit wide for you--albeit not as wide as some of the newer generation drivers.

With all that, I recommend you get a Innova Viking. If you like it in DX, buy it in Champ. It's a beautiful thing.

:edit: Having just come back from the field, I could definitely recommend the Orion LF, in either Sirius or Quantum plastic. If it's similar to an Avenger as someone seemingly stated earlier, then I would recommend the Avenger, I suppose. Both OLFs went nearly as far as my Eagle and Viking but with significant fade, as advertised.

Well that is certainy alot of response, Thanks :D . I've never thrown an XS or XL, can someone tell me the difference between them? It sounds like one of those discs might do the trick. As for throwing MAx D anny, I'm much better with the 'ol hyzer flip for some reason can't really get down with the an-hyzer max d. Again thanks for all the great info

XL is straight to slight turnover and XS has a similar flight to valkyrie (S-flight). For me, I have a hard time getting my Z XS to do that, but I believe the X and Pro D might be more friendly.

K-Dog - I actually don't throw either of them as part of my current game, it was just my observations from my throwing of those discs. Somebody stated that he not try a SOLF because he'd tried the Avenger. My only meaning was that I believe that the rims are different and that just because an Avenger doesn't work, doesn't mean a SOLF won't. That's all.