• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Success! - Champion, my technique

lewa

Hey guys.
Just joined this forum. I read some tutorials here, as well as watched some on youtube as to how to dye.

Just thought I'd post my technique and success story. This is my first dye, but it went well, and my technique is a combo of a few things I've seen. I dyed an Innova Champion Groove.

Supplies (all are cheap, <=$5):
Champion disc :roll:
Liquid Rit dye
Contact paper
Acetone - not nail polish remover, it's usually really diluted and won't work. Adhesive remover is fine, usually the main ingredient is acetone. I recommend using gloves for acetone, it's cancer-causing. And try not to breathe it - use it outside or something.
Rubbing alcohol.
A cup and a brush. And a sink, with running water. Rit dye WILL STAIN plastic and worn sinks. Stainless steel doesn't stain. You can always just rinse it off outside.

1: Printed out my symbol i made, then smoothly taped it to some contact paper. You might note the outline I made, which I found quite helpful. The inner circle of a disc is roughly 6in, so I would keep your design 5.5in or smaller.

Then I taped the contact paper to a cutting board. Then I carefully cut it. I learned that with an ex-acto knife (or similar design knife), the pressure you apply to the knife will not change its direction, but only turning it will.

2: Removed the stamp. Of course, acetone is the best. I had "goo off", which worked fine. Pure acetone is better. Just rubbed it with a rag after applying acetone. I recommend using gloves for acetone, it's cancer-causing. And try not to breathe it - use it outside or something.

3: Mixed liquid Rit dye (black in this case) with rubbing alcohol. I've seen a dye:alcohol ratio of 2:1 everywhere. I found it to bee too runny. My ratio was more of a 2:3 or 1:1. The more rubbing alcohol you use, the stickier the dye will be.

4: To apply the stencil, I removed the backing on the contact paper. Then I laid it sticky-side-up, and set my disc face-down directly in the middle. I liked this technique since it prevents wrinkles.

I wrapped the contact paper all around my disc, then pressed out any bubbles around the open areas of the paper.

kyifr8.png

5: Using a paintbrush, I painted on the Rit dye. For a solid black, you want to wait about 15 minutes, then simply rinse it off. Be careful not to let it spill onto the back of the disc. Dry it, then remove the contact paper.

y6od8q.png

All done! With transparent discs, the black will be purplish when held in front of a light, but it looks like a nice solid black from most angles.

dp8phm.png

This looks like a good technique for large block type cuts like yours above. Have you tried it with more detailed cuts? I would imagine it would be nearly impossible to keep the contact paper for bunching up on dyes that require a ton of small weeding.

I use contact paper... cheap stuff that I got from Wal*Mart even. I tried going to a sign shop but they kind of laughed at me when I asked for scraps so I just went and bought shelf liner. Anywho, it cuts alright and I pretty much follow lewa's process except I use painters tape to hold everything together between removing the backing and placing the stencil on the disc and I dip instead of painting the ink on. Anyway, it works pretty well... here's the one with the worst weeding that I've done;
4978070959_e39d7809f3_z.jpg

Only thing I don't like about it is that when you hold it up to the light just right you can still see the Discraft hotstamp. Discraft's stamps give me nightmares. I'm serious, I have to take sleeping pills otherwise I wake up in the night with cold sweats and panic attacks from their stamps. :cry:

Going to have to try this sometime. I use shelf liner also but it seems to come loose if its in the warm dye for too long and the liner is old :( This might reduce that occurrence.