• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggested Disc for Narrow approach shots

Another possibility for both positions is an overhead type shot. I could see how you could pancake a putter right in front of both baskets. Might end up a bit right of the B placement but still have a comfy putt. Lotsa ways to skin a cat...

I Practice this shot with four putters. Two understable (Beadless Star Avair and a Warlock) and two Stable (Z Zone and SS Wizard). When the time comes during a round I end up using the Star Avair or my putting putter (SB DX Avair).

Just practice more with putters...nice topic OP.

Beadless Aviar. Just pop it out with a little nose up a d watch it glide all the way to the basket. This is a shot I recently had issues with as well until I learned this little nose up toss. It almost feels like an Ultimate throw. It has shaved numerous stroke off my game.

Almost EXACTLY what I was gonna say!! :thmbup:

A Star Wedge works really good for that type of shot. Goes straight with little effort and no fade, it will turnover though if you try to power it. They have a ton of glide also.

OK - UPDATE.

I went out last night with just what I have in my possession. 4 different P/A discs and and 3 mids:

Mids
Star Mako (171)
Beat Up Pro-D Buzzz (169)
DX Wolf (176)

P/A
Pro-D Ringer (174)
Yeti-Pro Aviar (175)
DX Aviar (169)
GW Wizard (175)

Set-up: Aligned slightly left of the target.
Mechanics: I basically transferred my weight onto my back foot with a full reach back...and then rotate my hips and upper body and snapped as best as I could.

Result: Not a single disc made it the full 100' when aimed at the target and thrown flat. I added anny to all the discs a few times, and several kept the anny (Mako, Yeti, Wolf, Buzzz). The others landed "fluffy" and flat well short of the target.

I could easily reach the target with hyzer using all the listed discs but I don't have that luxury with the shot I am practicing.

I then tried all these discs again using a mild x-step...I saw a little better result but again, most of the discs hyzered well left.

I would say, by far...the best result I had was throwing the Ringer FH. The RINGER is really shallow inside. I would say about the thickness of my finger. The disc flew really straight with only slight fade at the end. at 100' feet I really felt like it was a shot I could consistently throw.

As a side note: I also have a terribly worn DX Focus(175), Gummy R-Pro Dart(172), a Star Dart and my beat up Soft Magnet (174). I didn't throw any of these in my test. Will try again with these as well.

I may simply just not have enough of a good snap on the disc to get it that 100'

Last edited:
The attached image is the shot I am referring to. The pin you see on the RIGHT is the A-Pin...the Red Line is the B-Pin which is about 100' from the spot this pic was taken...which is mid-fairway..

as you can see...no room to hyzer or anyzer...i need to toss it really straight for about 100'...

From this distance...even a little fade is dangerous...missing left or right blocks the putt

Come to NH and play Bellamy Park. After that, this will feel like a wide open shot. I would probably slow flick a gator at this with a severe anhyzer and some height.

The pic you posted makes it look like it is uphill. Is that right?

For pin B (the red line), which is the one I think you are going for, it looks like you could hyzer a rhyno through the gaps on the right and skip in.

But the low overhanging cover over the straight shot uphill makes that look like a really unfavorable line to try and hit, and I can't think of a disc that will fly uphill without needing height and that will not fade when thrown uphill.

Pin A looks like a flex shot with an overstable mid or maybe fairway driver. Hard to tell distance and degree uphill in that photo.

attachment.php

Then, again, you might could skip up to it with a panther or beat dx leopard. You know, something understable and skippy. Just aim at the ground and cross your fingers.

Attached a sketch that should help clear up the issue of hyzer or anhyzer into the RED Line (B-Pin). The basket is set back a bit from the large trees you see.

There seems to be enough room on the left to try to anny a shot that lands in the opening but again, you are still 30-35' from the basket.

Attachments

• Sketch.jpg
    Sketch.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 22
another idea would be to try and put yourself on the left or right side of the fairway so you can hyzer or anhyzer into that gap.

sketchg.jpg

Last edited:
another idea would be to try and put yourself on the left or right side of the fairway so you can hyzer or anhyzer into that gap.

A Good thought however, this is easier said then done from the Tee Pad. The attached image is from the Tee Pad. The red lines mark the gap into the fairway (beyond)...the 100' shot we have been looking at is past the tree marked with the green centerline..

I typically throw a RHFH Wraith that starts right at the red line on the right with a little anny and the disc moves left, flexes around the left of the big tree in the middle marked with the centerline, and ends up in the 100' spot we have been looking at throughout this thread.

On average, with the skip of the wraith to the right at the end of the FH Flex shot, I am usually well RIGHT of where we are talking (about where your Pink X is)...I can anny from there...sometimes however, I catch the left side of the big tree marked with the center line and it pushes it to where we are talking or closer to your blue X..

Attachments

• Hole6 Short.jpg
    Hole6 Short.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A Good thought however, this is easier said then done from the Tee Pad. The attached image is from the Tee Pad. The red lines mark the gap into the fairway (beyond)...the 100' shot we have been looking at is past the tree marked with the green centerline..

I typically throw a RHFH Wraith that starts right at the red line on the right with a little anny and the disc moves left, flexes around the left of the big tree in the middle marked with the centerline, and ends up in the 100' spot we have been looking at throughout this thread.

gotcha! looks like a fun one

OK - UPDATE.

I went out last night with just what I have in my possession. 4 different P/A discs and and 3 mids:

Mids
Star Mako (171)
Beat Up Pro-D Buzzz (169)
DX Wolf (176)

P/A
Pro-D Ringer (174)
Yeti-Pro Aviar (175)
DX Aviar (169)
GW Wizard (175)

Set-up: Aligned slightly left of the target.
Mechanics: I basically transferred my weight onto my back foot with a full reach back...and then rotate my hips and upper body and snapped as best as I could.

Result: Not a single disc made it the full 100' when aimed at the target and thrown flat. I added anny to all the discs a few times, and several kept the anny (Mako, Yeti, Wolf, Buzzz). The others landed "fluffy" and flat well short of the target.

I could easily reach the target with hyzer using all the listed discs but I don't have that luxury with the shot I am practicing.

I then tried all these discs again using a mild x-step...I saw a little better result but again, most of the discs hyzered well left.

I would say, by far...the best result I had was throwing the Ringer FH. The RINGER is really shallow inside. I would say about the thickness of my finger. The disc flew really straight with only slight fade at the end. at 100' feet I really felt like it was a shot I could consistently throw.

As a side note: I also have a terribly worn DX Focus(175), Gummy R-Pro Dart(172), a Star Dart and my beat up Soft Magnet (174). I didn't throw any of these in my test. Will try again with these as well.

I may simply just not have enough of a good snap on the disc to get it that 100'

Vi-de-oooh, vi-de-ooh!

As a sidenote (I'm sticking to my guns on technique, and not disc selection here), when I'm throwing 100' upshots i tend not to use large weight shifts because the more you shift the harder it is to pinpoint that accuracy (IMHO anyway, there are pros who do it [see Avery Jenkins throwing upshots]).

I've found, for me, that a reduced reachback, a reduced weight transfer, and a more exaggerated follow through really work for the "tweener" range between driving a putter and jump-putting (what exact distance that is varies from person to person). I'm not pushing the disc past my pecs on the backswing, and obviously you don't lean your weight past the disc on any shot so keep that part compact too.

The two keys to a consistent shot here are height and spin. The reason I'm not weight transferring as hard is because I'm not trying to SNAP the putter but rather finesse it with some spin to massage the flight line and get that soft landing. If it's short, try the same shot but thrown with a little more loft (don't nose-up stall-out, but keep it up in the air longer witha slightly higher release)

Update: I purchased an Opto Pure and a Vibram Summit. I found myself this past weekend in almost the exact same spot twice! Both times I threw the summit first..as hard and flat as I could and was able to get up and down for two from that same 100'. That is a birdie on this hole (Par 4).

The Pure I threw for the fun of it both times and was not able to get as much of a straight flight on it but I love it for a normal putter. I found myself reaching for it on the 30-40 foot putts...I still like my soft magnet inside 30'..

thank you all for the help!

I drained a 140 footer with my Summit last weekend. Straight as a string the whole way! Enjoy it - for a good long time, because you won't be able to beat it up! :-D

Latest posts