• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suitable replacement for a Viking?

I've had a small run of bad luck recently.

I overthrew on one hole into a very murky river and lost a Viking 163 that I loved, it was pretty much my straightest shot with a nice fade... acting much like my Ibex but you know, much longer. I waded around in that damn thing for 10 minutes hoping to find it with no luck.

I also lost a very light Lace today when a ridiculous wind gust gave me both my longest throw ever and a $20 charge for the trip... I have no idea where that thing ended up and had looked over an hour for it... and it was bright pink, go figure.

Anyways, I've found the Lace in the same weight, so I'm good there, but the only Viking I can find near the 163 is neon green, and this time of year in Texas means I'd lose that disk in no time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a different replacement? The Stalker seemed not too far off as far as I can tell on the flight path charts. The Trak is similar, but shorter. My speed has increased a lot since I lost my old Trak so that might be worth trying again.

I would however be curious about a MVP or Lat 32 disc, they've been interesting for me so far.

I would say that a lighter weight volt would fill that role.

Maybe a saint, but I haven't thrown one enough to make a fair comparison.

I was at Disc Golf World today. Among other things, I was looking at lighter Vikings. Although not showing on their website, they do have some Vikings in the low 160's in both DX and Champion. You should give them a call!

I'll second the escape, or just search some of the online sites for the vike.

Try a saint
Inbounds shows they are very close
Never thrown a viking
But in love with the saint.

Saint or CD (Control Driver) are similar, but with more glide.

I replaced my Vikings with Saints. Very similar flight paths. The Saint has a thinner wing so it feels more like a fairway driver in the hand.

My 172 Opto Saint is super straight with a small fade. My 167 GL is a thing of beauty, perfect turn huge glide and a tiny fade back.

My friend's 166 Viking and my 171 Avenger are very similar (champion and Z, respectively). I would imagine that a lighter Avenger would be a good disc to try. Also, if you call a local brick and mortar, you might be able to request specific weight and color combinations. That's how my friend got his 166 blue Viking.

Another Viking. Nothing replaces a Viking.