• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suitable replacement for a Viking?

Watch out for plus mold Vikings. They won't fly the same as older ones.

Recycled Saints are pretty easy to find in the low 160s. I just got a 161 the other day.

There are a lot of similar flight paths out there, but if the op loves the Viking, he should get another one I think.

Try a saint
Inbounds shows they are very close
Never thrown a viking
But in love with the saint.

^This.

I was an ardent Vikings thrower for years before I discovered the Saint. I'm now an official convert. Same flight pattern, but the Saint has a lot more glide, IMHO.

I keep two Saints and 1 Viking in my bag at all times.

Here's the link comparing the two from Inbounds: http://is.gd/PFHGmz

^This.

I was an ardent Vikings thrower for years before I discovered the Saint. I'm now an official convert. Same flight pattern, but the Saint has a lot more glide, IMHO.

I keep two Saints and 1 Viking in my bag at all times.

Here's the link comparing the two from Inbounds: http://is.gd/PFHGmz

I'm buying my first Saint this weekend, and I was wondering if their are any variables that I should look into for my first one? I like Gold Line plastic, but if Opto Line is better, let me know.

Just get a Viking in a slightly heavier weight. If your speed really has increased then the one or two gram difference in weight really shouldn't make that much of a difference. I honestly don't notice much of a difference when discs are different weights unless its a drastic difference like 10-15 grams. Personally I give myself 170-175 for drivers, 175-180 for midranges. All my putters have to be 175 otherwise they don't feel right. But I give myself a little wiggle room just for this reason so I'm not stuck searching for a specific weight or color.

I'm buying my first Saint this weekend, and I was wondering if their are any variables that I should look into for my first one? I like Gold Line plastic, but if Opto Line is better, let me know.

I got a recycled Saint at GGGT just to test one out. Played a few rounds with it and loved the grippiness of it so much, I went back and got another.

I'd suggest either a recycled or Gold Line if you like grip.

I see multiple options for Vikings ~163g on Fleabay - orange, red, and blue. Or try out a Striker; slightly more HSS than the Viking, but very similar.

Anyways, I've found the Lace in the same weight, so I'm good there, but the only Viking I can find near the 163 is neon green, and this time of year in Texas means I'd lose that disk in no time.

I've never heard of top players using a Viking before. Does anyone know why this is? And OP, what is it about this disc that made you love it?

I've never heard of top players using a Viking before. Does anyone know why this is? And OP, what is it about this disc that made you love it?

I think the reason you don't hear much about the Vikings is:

A) It came our right around the time the Valkyrie broke the distance record (now since long broken), so it got overshadowed by that,

and

B) It's a Speed 9 driver, so it's certainly not any sort of 'go-to' disc for them to throw off the tee like a Nuke or D1 or whatever would be.

That's my guess anyway.

Yea. Beasts, Valks, and on the slower end Leopards get a lot of pub, but you never really hear about the Viking.

I have a 152 dx viking. its super flippy but I love it for anythinI need to go right. Throw it on am anhyzer and itll flatten out and finish right

I think the reason you don't hear much about the Vikings is:

A) It came our right around the time the Valkyrie broke the distance record (now since long broken), so it got overshadowed by that,

and

B) It's a Speed 9 driver, so it's certainly not any sort of 'go-to' disc for them to throw off the tee like a Nuke or D1 or whatever would be.

That's my guess anyway.

The Viking was developed specifically to be a slightly more stable variant of the Valkyrie and is (or was) one of Dave D's favorite molds (which is why it is likely still in production despite it never really being a popular mold)

Anyway, the first run Vikings were run with one top mold piece, then they switched to a replacement piece that was supposed to be identical. But it was not identical and resulted in discs flew like a slower, shorter Valk. Considering Vikings were suppose to be more stable and just as long, people would bitch about the Viking.
Dave D couldn't figure out why people didn't like it because he was still throwing first runs and loved the mold. Innova finally figured out that the top piece was defective because they used this same mold piece for the batch of TeeRex's that turned out to be flippier than a Wraith. By then, they had churned out several runs of bad Vikings.

SO. Bad timing & Bad runs of vikings both contributed to the Viking falling out of favor fairly quickly.

Word was back then that you wanted the zipper-top Vikings (since it was a brand new mold piece made to replace the defective one)

Anyway, the Viking is a great little disc. Very versatile, easy flyer... I am actually a big fan of the mold but moved on to faster / farther stuff for my Max Distance. Still have a soft spot for Vikes though!

Does anyone know why or when they changed the marking on the back from VG to VK? I think the VG marked ones are the older ones?

I don't know about anyone else, but my most accurate distance has been with Vikings (my best distance has been with a Blizzard Katana and Starlite RR). My beat 162g DX flies long and straight for me. My heavier Champ and DX are more overstable and so make great discs for me when it is windier.

You could try a Gateway Apache, the older ones in S and the Star-like E plastic have a stability and speed similar to a Viking, and they have a run of flatter champ like E plastic like ones now that are a bit more overstable. They also run them in all kinds of weights.

Does anyone know why or when they changed the marking on the back from VG to VK? I think the VG marked ones are the older ones?

Don't know. This also caused problems, because the Valk used to be VK before the Viking was released, so when the Viking started being marked as VK all of a sudden people had problems with Innova sending out Valk stamped Vikings. So people would buy these "Valkyrie"s, but end up with a more stable disc (a Viking).