• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Switch from Wizards to Daggers

Trent B

Par Member
I'm seriously considering switching from wizards to daggers as my main putting putter.

I've been using wizards for a while now and I'm starting to think they are a tad too over stable for me. I'm a push putter and when I get out to around 30ft my putts sometimes fade out a little early and skip off the left top side of the cage.

I'd like to keep my putt relatively the same and direct no matter the distance out to 40ft.

Has anyone switched from wizards to daggers? I hear they are a touch less stable which is exactly what I want. Plus they look really good coming out of wysocki''s hand :)

They feel a lot like a Wizard, but are less stable. Get knocked around by any wind pretty bad though.

I tried to switch but the Dagger didn't gell, so I went to shallower putter.

Hmm I may just have to get a few and see. Winter is coming and I'll probably be doing more putting practice in my basement than anything else so if I'm going to switch I need to do it soon.

I guess I traded or gave away my dagger so I can't compare the depth to a Wizard. Sorry.

I'm seriously considering switching from wizards to daggers as my main putting putter.

I've been using wizards for a while now and I'm starting to think they are a tad too over stable for me. I'm a push putter and when I get out to around 30ft my putts sometimes fade out a little early and skip off the left top side of the cage.

I'd like to keep my putt relatively the same and direct no matter the distance out to 40ft.

Has anyone switched from wizards to daggers? I hear they are a touch less stable which is exactly what I want. Plus they look really good coming out of wysocki''s hand :)

I used to use a Wizard, then tried the Daggers. They were nice, but not what I was looking for. They are definitely deeper than the Wizards...

I did a pretty extensive putter analysis between Wizards, Daggers, Challengers, & Judges. I landed on the Judge and have been extremely happy with them.

I wouldn't hold my breath looking for the same release as Wysocki, even if you do switch to the Dagger...

According to infinite discs. Dagger depth is 1.5 and wizard is 1.8.
I'm not trying to putt like Rick.
Ideally I just want a less stable wizard.

Have you tried the DGA Steady? Same profile, less fade: HSS 0, LSS 1
I prefer Gateway's putter plastics, but the D I've gotten has been running nice and stiff in the last couple years.

Attachments

• wiz and steady.JPG
    wiz and steady.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 40
Yeah I've putted both. The Dagger is a touch slower, but more glide, and less fade. I like it better, but the feel of the wizard I prefer. Its tough. I found that the wiz will have a sharper dump/fade at the end when putted. When thrown the wizard is superior I feel, I don't throw my daggers tho, I have throwing putters in their own slot for that.

Yeah, Plastic is a difference too. If you live in cold weather areas this time of year the Medium Dagger does well. If its warmer than 55-60 I prefer he Hard. Medium in summer is too gummy, and hard in winter is like putting with a plate.

I am liking the dagger a lot. It just has a nice reliable predictable straight/stable flight. When new it has decent fade but it wears that out pretty quick and its actually really straight, but still some fade. Great putter, I don't LOVE the deep dish feel, but the side/grip is really nice as it fills the palm and easy to putt. I think youll be happy with em

According to infinite discs. Dagger depth is 1.5 and wizard is 1.8.
I'm not trying to putt like Rick.
Ideally I just want a less stable wizard.

Infinite gets their measurements from the PDGA spreadsheet. These measurements are notoriously imprecise and often times flat out inaccurate.

FYI the dagger is listed at 1.5, so is the aviar and the judge... for what it's worth the dagger is clearly deeper than the judge when you compare the depth from bottom of the bead to the flightplate. Not sure how the Wizard compares; I think it may actually be slightly deeper than the dagger measured the same way.

The real difference in depth from Wiz to Dagger comes from the super beefy shoulder of the dagger - you can tell there's extra material up there that really fills up the heel of your hand.

I personally used to putt with Wizards, then switched to Judges in part due to the more shallow feel, and in part due to the more mellow flight for longer putts. Then I tried a Dagger in a store and it clicked immediately. I would say the Dagger has the float of a wizard and the mellow flight of the judge. I haven't gotten the chance to use them in a breeze but admittedly I have to assume they don't hold up as well as either.

Also in the way of throwing them, if you're used to driving wizards the deep, beefy feel probably won't bother you. On the other hand, Judges are well known for their easy driving capability due to the comfy, shallow feel with a very neutral flight.

Anyway, yes I recommend switching to daggers. TLDR: More neutral, still deep dish, still glidey.

OK I'm convinced. Buying a bushel of daggers and not looking back. I think they will be a good fit. Wind isn't a huge problem where I live.

OK I'm convinced. Buying a bushel of daggers and not looking back. I think they will be a good fit. Wind isn't a huge problem where I live.

If (bushel = 2) then go for it. But give 'em a good try before (over)loading up on them. I started out with Star Aviar P&As... still have 5 of 'em that I pretty much never use, and that was after giving a couple away.

I'd think going with something more different than the Wizard would be a better experiment. Dagger, JK Aviars, Rhyno, Wizard are nearly the same in flight/effort to distance. Colt, PA Aviar, Voodoo, Reef, Magic seem like they would be more likely to give a thrower seeing a putt fade at 30ft a little more on line distance.

I don't want a completely neutral putter. I understand what your saying. I like wizards but in that 30-40ft range they fade a fraction of a second earlier than I want. Yes I can compensate for it but for consistency's sake I want my 20ft putts and 30-40ft putts to be relatively the same besides height change. I like my putting style and I've been doing it for a while. I feel a neutral or slightly US putter I would be catching weak chains on the right.

You could try a lighter wizard, they have more loft than heavier ones

Is this just for putting? Or do you also drive with your putters? I personally drive with my putting putters, and I have a few wizards that are so beat up, that they fly like magics. They putt very straight.

I made the switch, 3 months ago and I'm loving it, not for throwing, feels really slow so I'm gonna try P2 for a throwing putter.

I don't really care for driving my wizards but I do sometimes when a mid is too much. Upshots though. If I stick with daggers I will probably adopt a new putter for driving besides my harp(mostly FH). Something I can turn over. I've been eyeballing the pure. I'd like to stick with max weight putters.

Latest posts