• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teaching Beginners

Scotty N

Bogey Member
My uncle wants to try playing disc golf with me. We play a lot of regular golf together and since I've been in college I've gone more towards disc golf for the cost and ease of playing anytime I want no tee time. He wants to try it with me, and I was wondering what are some suggestions to help teach him how to play his first few rounds?

Here are the disc I was thinking about having him use:

Champion Leopard-- driver
Z buzzz or Dx Shark or dx Roc--Midrange
Wizard--Putter

I have quite a few other discs, and I'm not really sure what is good for beginners cause when my friends and I started we just went out and got distance drivers, which I read is not the best way to learn.

I'm looking for any advice cause I've only been playing for about a year and half so I'm still kind of a beginner too and I want him to have fun.

Just give him the shark and go have fun :)

If he likes it, he can develop with the shark and move up, if not, it's a good all around disc that can do a lot and isn't too punishing.

Ok cool. I'll just give him the shark and probably just play with a midrange to help my game too.

How much form work should I get into with him too? I don't want to overwhelm him, but also don't want to have him start with too many bad habits.

I think the thing you want to get right with beginners is the grip. I see WAY too many people with the index finger on the rim. I also suggest to keep the disc down instead of popping it up in the air.

I normally only comment on form and technique with people who obviously play a bit, and look frustrated with their throw.

i know your supposed to throw nose down but for beginners tell him to focus on throwing level until he gets the hang of it then try nose down.

From my experience with beginners just dont correct him on every shot, only when it is clear that he is looking for some help after being frustrated. Constant advice gets annoying IMO

see WAY too many people with the index finger on the rim.
Of course you want them to curl it on the top for the Bonopane grip which will help beginners get the nose down...
http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html#specialty
However, I teach it with the thumb and index finger separated, not on top of each other at least for beginners. This grip added 40-50 ft to my drives even though the website says it's not the best for power. It's easy to forget to concentrate during competition and this grip helps keep the nose down even when not concentrating or when I'm tired near the end of the second round.

I'd show him the 4 finger or climo grip and see if he can grasp the grip putting the edge in the middle of the thumb pad (just above the crease).

Tell him it's like starting a lawn mower and to start standing up. Show him how you sort of try and get your weight over your pivot foot.

If he can do that, it'll be pretty simple and nose down will yield enough distance so he won't be too far from par.

Me, I like a lot of information, so you can see if he wants some info up front that he won't remember now, but will make sense as the round goes by.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!! :) This will definitely help me to teach him some of the basics. I didn't even know about the Bonopane Grip so that is a good one to know for the future.

Thats true I didn't even think about that, but I threw as hard as I could every throw too, but I've learned that I have much better throws that are just smooth and not trying to kill it.

try to show him how to x-step so he's not throwing only with his arm (that shit hurts!)

TeeRexJJ said:
oh and tell him to chill. when i first started playing i was throwing almost every shot as hard as i could.

I still do this sometimes, and I've been playing for 5 years :?.

First, as a newbie to disc golf myself and a reader of this board for a couple of weeks now....I'd like to thank everyone who contributes and makes this work. Discgolfreview.com is a great resource.

This brings me to my tip.......point anyone who shows an interest in learning to this website.

A good friend has a couple of baskets in his backyard and I had commented one day that I used to love tossing the frisbee around for hours behind our barracks when I was stationed in West Germany way back in the early 80's (yes, I am an old newbie @ 47). He suggested we go play a round at the Mississinewa State Forest course near us and we did just a couple of days later.

My buddy is a very laid back guy and never takes himself or anything else too serious. He pretty much did as suggested here and didn't go much beyond grip, what the different discs (should) do and a quickie lesson on teeing off from the concrete pads. I had a blast and was hooked immediately so I had to find more info....and here I am. I found you guys on my own and have been reading and doing field practice daily. I appreciate the help and will be sure and mention this site to others I meet on my disc golf journey.

I am just starting with an Omega SS putter and an X Comet (both 170g). They feel similar in my hands. I also purchased a Champion Beast which I wish I had waited on but I was bit by the bug and had an enthusiastic sales rep. It feels much different than the other 2 discs and I am not ready for it yet but I will be one day.

thanks again....mark

oh ya...my first mistake was trying to overpower the disc so that one seems like a common problem with new players.

I've just started working my throw from the hit backwards and it seems like that might be the best way to start out. If you get that late acceleration and weight transfer in your head from the beginning you won't have to fight with as many bad habits later.

i just gave up on my omega ss putter because it will not hold a line for me i switched to the wizard and boom i can now putt again

Welcome to the asylum :) I also get everyone I can to read this site. I've probably learned more here about DG than anywhere else.

sparky said:
First, as a newbie to disc golf myself and a reader of this board for a couple of weeks now....I'd like to thank everyone who contributes and makes this work. Discgolfreview.com is a great resource.

This brings me to my tip.......point anyone who shows an interest in learning to this website.

A good friend has a couple of baskets in his backyard and I had commented one day that I used to love tossing the frisbee around for hours behind our barracks when I was stationed in West Germany way back in the early 80's (yes, I am an old newbie @ 47). He suggested we go play a round at the Mississinewa State Forest course near us and we did just a couple of days later.

My buddy is a very laid back guy and never takes himself or anything else too serious. He pretty much did as suggested here and didn't go much beyond grip, what the different discs (should) do and a quickie lesson on teeing off from the concrete pads. I had a blast and was hooked immediately so I had to find more info....and here I am. I found you guys on my own and have been reading and doing field practice daily. I appreciate the help and will be sure and mention this site to others I meet on my disc golf journey.

I am just starting with an Omega SS putter and an X Comet (both 170g). They feel similar in my hands. I also purchased a Champion Beast which I wish I had waited on but I was bit by the bug and had an enthusiastic sales rep. It feels much different than the other 2 discs and I am not ready for it yet but I will be one day.

thanks again....mark

oh ya...my first mistake was trying to overpower the disc so that one seems like a common problem with new players.

I played several rounds with only a Wolf, and got hooked totally. The Wolf is a very comfortable disc (I still have it). The thumbtrac felt good in my hand right from the start.

I also have a Shark, but as a beginner I got much better throws with the Wolf, so I used it exclusively until I got better.

Find a disc that feels comfortable to him, and he'll have fun learning how to throw it.

BTW, I still have trouble throwing a Shark, except for short low-power approaches. The funky rim often causes a bad release unless I hold it very loosely.