• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird3 vs Thunderbird

Hustle

Bogey Member
Flight comparisons between the T3 and Thunderbird?

Thunderbird is 9-5-0-2
T3 is 8-4-0-2

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR85197703107247345876O777921OO

Flight chart says T3 is more HSS than the thunderbird.. I have a t3 in my bag and i'm beginning to think maybe I don't anymore with the thunderbird now in it. Anyone bag both and if so what do you one for that you don't use the other for? Too much overlap? Also anyone who bags a thunderbird do you also bag a teebird (regular) for shorter distances or do you go from thunderbird to your mid range slot without anything inbetween for common use other than utility discs?

I can't tell you a ton about the T3 because I don't bag one. However, my understanding is that the T3 wasn't submitted for PDGA approval because it is just a retooled TeeBird. Humorously, the TeeBird itself actually shows a longer flight than the T3 (which is supposed to be "faster") on the inbounds chart, but I digress. I don't think there is actually a lot of difference distance-wise between a T3 and a regular TeeBird, although there may be a difference in the shape of the flight (amount of HSS and LSS). Others with more T3 experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

I did briefly bag a Thunderbird, but I stopped because there was just too much overlap. I throw max D around 400 feet and on any typical day there isn't more than 30-40 feet between a distance drive with a Destroyer and one with a TeeBird. I just don't need another disc for that distance. If the basket were right in the middle of my typical range, I'd still have a 15-20 foot putt with either disc. Obviously that gap is going to widen for bigger arms than mine; if you are throwing 450 regularly then you probably need a tweener like the Thunderbird, but for someone in my distance range, it's unnecessary.

Obviously lots of people have different philosophies about how much overlap they allow between different discs in their bags. I only speak for myself here, but for me there's too much overlap and I wouldn't bag both.

Definitely the Thunderbird because it has a little more speed and glide. And it's like a broken in Firebird, a dream for all Fire Chicken lovers.

I can't comment on the t3 as I've never thrown one. However I do bag 2 thunderbirds and a variety of teebirds and think they compliment each other perfectly. Before the thunderbird came out I had never used a "control driver", I went straight from teebirds to destroyers. The thunderbird is the least thrown driver in my bag, however I'm glad I have it the couple times a round where I do throw it. It pretty much only comes out on throws longer then 360 but less then 400. That's a fairly small gap but it is helpful. I don't my thunderbirds and teebirds overlap at all. You'd have to kill me to take my teebirds out of the bag. It'll never happen.

I will also say that I think inbounds rating of -2% HSS for thunderbirds is on the money. After they break in all my thunderbirds have had a slight wiggle to the right.

I rarely use my T3 anymore if at all since I got a new star teebird. I love that teebird, but since I put in the thunderbird I find myself not using the teebird very much at all.. which says how little I use the T3. I feel like I use my teebird when I need a straight shot that is like 300 or longer. Just below 300 I use my roc3's.

I am trying to finalize my bag. I have only been playing for slightly less than a year. Despite that, I am confident I am better than a large majority of beginners. I can drive 400 maybe a bit more on a good throw. I am trying to limit the amount of molds in my bag and I think I'm definitely taking out the T3. But was also thinking about taking out the teebird because I feel anything over what my roc3's can do I might as well use the thunderbird.. just don't know why I would keep the teebird or T3 if I have a thunderbird.

The only T3 I threw was a Gstar. It flew great, exactly as advertised, but not longer than a Teebird. Kind of got there quicker and lower. One day I smoked a tree and now resides at the bottom of a lake. Thunderbird is a great disc... Longer than Teebird for sure.

Please do yourself a favor and do not worry about disc overlap.
Play a couple runds with both in your bag. Throw the same shot with both the t3 and Thunder. Throw annys with both. Throw hyzers. If one does something you like and the other does another shot well, keep them both. If you find you don't reach for the t3 after a few rounds, take it out.

I've tried both for a while but neither stayed in my bag after a couple months, to me it seemed my standard teebird was more stable. But yeah they overlap between that and my saint/saint pro.

I use my Champ T3 as a more stable TeeBird. Don't let the speed rating of 8 fool you. It's nonsense. It's still a TeeBird. Just flat. I also bag Thunderbirds. They've proven to be useful as they are longer fliers than me TeeBirds. All 3 are great discs and can be used for different shots. I could get by with just Regular Champ TeeBirds though.

Please do yourself a favor and do not worry about disc overlap.
Play a couple runds with both in your bag. Throw the same shot with both the t3 and Thunder. Throw annys with both. Throw hyzers. If one does something you like and the other does another shot well, keep them both. If you find you don't reach for the t3 after a few rounds, take it out.

There is overlap it seems for me, which is the whole premise for me posting this as well as deciding to possibly take one or the other out of the bag.

For me there is no overlap. I use a t3 for upside down putts down hill.
It is entirely personal preference. What input are you looking for? As I mentioned, if you have a shot one does better, why does it matter if there's overlap?

If you can only throw 150 ft, you will have overlap between a Teebird and xcal.

For me there is no overlap. I use a t3 for upside down putts down hill.
It is entirely personal preference. What input are you looking for? As I mentioned, if you have a shot one does better, why does it matter if there's overlap?

If you can only throw 150 ft, you will have overlap between a Teebird and xcal.

I am looking for input in terms of what people think of their flight comparisons, who bags both and for what reasons, and just to generally speak about the two discs side by side.

I'm not worried about overlap, it's that I see no purpose in having two discs that overlap each other. I'm new to the game, but as I see it; you shouldn't have too many molds in a plethora of different plastics. By that I mean I don't think I should have 7 different manufacturers with 3 discs from each and each disc is a different plastic from the others. I believe having a limited amount of molds with multiples in different stages of wear can assist in consistency. I am for the most part an Innova only thrower. I have used other brands as well but I am trying to finalize my bag and simmer down with all the different molds in my bag. I am uninterested in keeping the T3 if it isn't going to be a frequent thrower but rather a utility disc.

I personally don't see a need for the T3. Teebird and Thunderbird are both better discs. It's an ok disc but lacks glide and doesn't seem to go far for an 8 speed. The Thunderbird is an amazing control driver that does whatever you ask of it

Thunderbird vs t3

I have both in my bag and a pd. The glide of the thunderbird is more and less accurate than a worn in firebird. Great for standstill shots but not power drives. Long flex anny run ups. Consistent. T3 is just as was stated before tighter flight pattern. Both of mine are g star. The spd I got is flippy. Like very flippy. Good for standstill but still can flip it with ease. I will have no problem with a t3 and thunderbird in my bag depending on course. Think the t3 is much better for spike hyzers that you don't want to use a firebird for and tight woods windows. thunderbird for left to right uphill exposed edge flips. Or tailwind laser shots. More left to right play but not by much in the thunderbird.

Buy a stack of pd's and don't look back. But to answer your original question, yes I would consider the champ t3 and champ thunderbird to overlap. Can't speak on the other plastics of the molds.

I don't see them overlapping at all. The T3 is sluggish and can't handle wind like the thunderbird can. Not to mention I can throw the thunderbird further, but it is a higher speed and has more glide so it makes sense.

T3 is a complete (T)urd!!

Flys like they tried to make a Wolf Fairway. As a Teebird lover, I was sorely dissapointed. T3 is to Teebird, as VRoc is to Roc...Name piracy.

Thunderbird is also just, Meh to me. It's like a whimpy FB. I can see guys liking it. It has just enough stability to feel beefy when thrown at 350-380 power. For a control driver, I find it slow. I wanted to like it, but still prefer my Orc for the stability range, and I enjoy the speed of the Orc. Orc hits the slot between my Teebirds and Destroyers better than the Thunderhawk.

I feel like there is just not enough difference between the Starfire and Thunderbird. The Thunderbird just has a tougher name. Its kinda Innova's attempt to make a Saint Pro competitor, and in that, I think they hit the nail on the head. Its, a better Saint Pro...There ya go.

This thread cracks me up.

I've always been a fan of flat beat in DX teebirds from the 2008-2009 timeframe, which is exactly how Gstar Teebird3's fly. So I got rid of all my crappy huge-dome stiff champ teebirds that Innova was running since 2010 and replaced them with gstar T3's.

I'm very happy throwing T3's, they are exactly what I want in a fairway.

I currently bag 3 TBs and 1 Thunderbird. I bagged a T3 until I lost it, and I just never got another.

The T3 flies faster with less glide than a TB, and does not go as far for me. The T3 is useful to throw a nice low striaght shot to 300-320 ft. and expect a nice 20-30ft. skip left, where a TB on the same line would go out 340 and come left a little. The pronounced fade, lower profile and skip were the difference. They also can take a flex shot where a TB would just glide out right.

The Thunderbird gets about 20-50ft. more distance than the TB with a slightly more pronounced fade on the same line. It has good torque resistance, yet doesn't punish a powered down shot. I have not beat mine in too much yet, so I am unsure as to whether it will just glide straight for days like the TB is famous for.

I figure since I have a TB and a firebird I can get anywhere a T3 could. Thunderbird stays, even with a PD sitting right next to it.

I should mention that both the Thunderbird and T3 are champ glow, and the TBs are champ and e*(2x).

Latest posts