• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Tell me about the GStar Destroyer!

Shapers

Par Member
So, I'm considering to buy a GStar Destroyer, as I've fallen in love with the plastic. I'm currently not throwing any high-speed drivers, and I'd like to have one for those extra feets when they are needed. I'm considering to buy it in 167-ish, as I'd like to really be able to get it far down the fairway. Any thoughts?

I literally just bought my first one today, red 171g. I haven't had a chance to throw it but my friend's seemed like a nice blend of glide and stability. Hopefully the weather is decent over the next few days so I can give it a few rips.

I would like to hear from anyone who has thrown the McBeth Krait and the G* DS a significant amount and how they compare.

it's pretty awesome.

i bought a pro once i lost my gstar but i will probably be going back. comparable glide to pro; more stability without being as overstable as a "regular" star destroyer IMO. sample size of one and i made sure mine had a megadome.

I am in love. I am finally trying out fast drivers again after a few years throwing nothing faster than an Orc. I was loving dx and pro destroyer flights but hating the way they wear. They seem to jump from perfect to unpredictable at some point around 3 months of being in my bag. I picked up a G* destroyer at 168 (same weight as my pro's, I throw 170 in dx) at the CAC recently, and it is the bee's knees. Not too much dome on mine (less than my current favorite pro) but similar flight in every way. ANd they will take a beating as far as I can tell. I haven't knocked a g* destro to what I would call "beat in" yet, but if they act like my G* TB's, they will lose a tiny bit of stability and stay there until I lose them.

I've had my G* destroyer for a few months now. Its much easier to turn than my star destroyers, but maintains a high degree of fade. For overall distance, I like the G* because the extra turn lets it get more distance before fading back like a regular destroyer.

The plastic feels great. I get the feeling that because its so grippy, I can "rip it" a bit more and generate the extra turn. I also get the feeling the plastic itself has more turn in the flight pattern than the regular star. Not entirely sure what the cause is, but the result is an easier to turn star destroyer.

We would need to know how you throw. What weights do you normally get? There's nothing wrong with getting a 167g disc...it just means it will get up to speed quicker than if you threw a 171g.

My G* destroyer is 172g, but I can throw it pretty hard.

I have to pro and one g* destroyer. The g* to me is a pro destroyer without the durability issue. I have whacked a few trees and landed it on gravel once with just one little scuff. It has a bit of turn for me and my max D is 400-420 feet. The grippiness of the plastic allows me to get a better rip with more spin imparting more distance. I love destroyers, and g* is by far my favorite plastic so far.

The GStar is slightly more understable than regular Star. Would 167 grams be too light? Should I go for 170 or 171?

I throw a 168g and it's just fine. When I got it, I could throw it as hard as possible and only see a tiny bit of turn (just more glide really).

It's really domey though, and probably more overstable than flatter GStars, which I haven't thrown.

I have 2 of them. One became very warped on the wing the first day I played with it. I threw it full speed into a tree and it's basically a shag disc now.

The other I still carry and I like throwing it, I just opt for my champ destroyer when it's likely to hit a tree at full velocity.

I love Gstar, but I don't really prefer it with high speed drivers to be honest. I think the softness of the plastic makes the thick rimmed drivers warp easily.

they fly like a slightly broken in star destroyer. very similar to the new pro destroyers but don't break in as much. domey ones are more overstable than flat ones