• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell me if I am doing the right thing in developing disc golf in my town

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
So I have been in my town for 4 months now. The closest disc golf course is 5 hours away. There is a group of about a dozen people who play very casually on a small object course they have invented. Other than that, the only people who have even heard about disc golf are people I have introduced to the sport.

We are forming an official club this week, and talks are going good with the city in regards to getting a course built- we could get it this summer, and I am almost positive we will have it by next summer. I have an 18-hole layout in a very public park- it is the main park in town, where 95% of the city population spends time. There is very little traffic on the holes I have laid out, but TONNES of traffic around them. Meaning that there will be minimal interference between disc golfers and other park users, but that every park user will see the course and see people playing on it. About 50% of park users will also walk by the first hole and see a rules sign as well as a board inviting them to play, join the club, or contact me. They will also be able to rent or buy discs and pickup scorecards/maps at the park pavilion that is 40' away from hole one. In terms of getting exposure for the sport, this is a perfect location.

Here's the rub: the course isn't super challenging. It is more of a pitch-and-putt course. There is tonnes of variety in the drives (hyzer, anhyzer, straight, uphill, downhill, tunnel shots, wide open long bombs, and one sweet thumber hole), but every hole gives you the opportunity to pull a park job on your drive. There are certainly holes where you can get into trouble, including water hazards, but a good player is also capable of birdying every single hole. That being said, since there is such a big variety of holes, it is still quite fun. And it is perfect for beginners.

There are other parks where I could build a more challenging, championship calibre course. But these parks get very little traffic: there would be no nearby place to get discs, and hardly anyone who wasn't playing would ever see the course. These other courses would be way better for experienced and good players. But they wouldn't give the sport near as much exposure, and would make it way more difficult for beginners to pick it up.

Here's what I am thinking: for the first course in town, build it in the park that will get high exposure and be good for beginners. Get lots of people playing, THEN build a championship level course. Do you think this is the way to go about it? Or should I build the championship level course to begin with, and then build the high exposure one latter?

Before you ask "why not just do multiple tees?" I can't really. Because of the way the park is laid out, this is the most challenging safe course possible.

No brainer

You build the nice, easy, beginer friendly course first. Everyone in town is a beginer right now, as they get better, you can build the tougher champ course later. No brainer. I have built many courses and this is the way to go.:hfive:

I agree, no brainer. Do the beginner course first, get exposure, judge the interest, and then push forward with the bigger course.
Just be sure that the non-DGers will be safe in the beginner course.
A few pedestrians getting hit with discs will squash your dreams for a championship caliber course real quick.
Good luck and keep us posted! :hfive:

I agree, no brainer. Do the beginner course first, get exposure, judge the interest, and then push forward with the bigger course.
Just be sure that the non-DGers will be safe in the beginner course.
A few pedestrians getting hit with discs will squash your dreams for a championship caliber course real quick.
Good luck and keep us posted! :hfive:

My thoughts exactly :hfive:

Spread the word, keep it safe, get support for bigger and better. I hope it works out for you.

The more experienced players can make up a safari course on a 18 hole beginner course.

I agree. Even though it will be an easy course, that will get more people playing, and get more people wanting another course in the area. Also, playing a pitch and putt course beats driving 5 hours. Hell, I would be happy with 1 basket, with 18 different tee positions. That would beat driving that far. Good luck with it.

I also agree with the guys above me. You have to start with something and this is a great way to introduce new players to the game. If you started off with a champion level course it might scare some people away. Get them hooked first with the beginner then work towards longer/harder courses.

New Course

x2 on the posters above... it just makes more sense to get people interested first, then let the momentum build. Who knows, if you get enough interested the bigger course might come sooner, easier than you think. If the right people get interested (business owners, wealthy folks) they may be willing to help with the cost of the bigger/more technical course.
Bottom line, it's great your building a new course where there isn't one, who cares how technical it is or isn't. :thmbup:

Look at Billings MT.

They have a very simple pitch and putt in town, and FREAKIN DIAMOND X on the outskirts! The pitch and putt first is definitely the way to go. Just make sure the people in town know that the Groove is designed for the 'coming soon' course ;)

Good stategey. Please tell us where this is though.

Yes, a link to a google map of the park you are talking about (both for the easy course and the hard one) might help. You say you are planning an 18 hole course for the easy one. Where are you getting the money for the course? Maybe if you built a 9-hole course with multiple tees, you could achieve an easy course and a challenging course at the same time and also have money left over to get started on the 18-hole champion level course on the outskirts right away.

Look at Billings MT.

They have a very simple pitch and putt in town, and FREAKIN DIAMOND X on the outskirts! The pitch and putt first is definitely the way to go. Just make sure the people in town know that the Groove is designed for the 'coming soon' course ;)

That is funny because Billings is an instructional story for disc golf. What happened (if I recall my talk with a MT player accurately) is that some player were rude as they played through a wedding at the park. Some disc golfers feel that someone should not be allowed to have a function in their fairway.....

Well....it was the mayor's daughter getting married (might have been some other city big wig)! Upshot? Disc golf OUTLAWED in the town of Billings Montana!

The lesson? Don't be a self absorbed disc golf jerk.

The story ends happily however - see news story from earlier this year below:

BILLINGS - When the Billings City Council outlawed disc golf in Pioneer Park in 2010, the community took a stand and saved the sport.
Saturday morning disc golf players braved the near-zero degree temps to hit the winter course. This was the first tournament of 2011 for the players and they said it marked a victory for their sport in Billings. "When they made the decision to get rid of disc golf in the park, you know, I don't think they knew there were this many people that are excited about this sport," disc golf player and advocate Ken Beck said.
"It wouldn't exist without the community support. We were excited to see after the city council shot down disc golf out of the master plan last year, all the grassroots efforts that came up and got it reversed," AirFairways Disc Golf Club President Jim Rott said.
Players traveled to the Winter Throwdown from across the state. "People are excited and you know we have a lot of people playing today so even though it's cold people are out wanting to have some fun," Beck said.
But it wasn't all fun and games. Part of the city's agreement to keep the sport is for a new course in the north part of Pioneer Park to be built. The players need $11,000 to build the North Course, between grant money and this fundraiser they have nearly $6,000 in the bank already. Construction on the new course is expected to begin in May.
The disc golf team just received a $5,000 grant from Cloud Peak Energy for the North Course. They have about $5,000 more to raise.