• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell your story of how you got a stuck disc free

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
I thought this would be interesting and useful. I tried searching but didn't find any title like this.

I was at my recreation center park throwing discs when my kc pro roc glides and lands onto a 20 ft tall gazebo. The roof was basically cone shaped, so the disc was just sitting flat at an angle. The cone roof wasn't too tall but rather wide.

I couldn't climb the gazebo since there was no grip, and the roof was that sand paper type material. So I tried my slingshot and rocks, which failed. And my cheap made in China slingshot's rubberband snapped after a couple of tries (although this slingshot had been used a good amount of times in the past).

This park barely had any rocks, and after failing trying to throw rocks at my disc, I went into the rec center and borrowed a basketball.

So I basically started shooting free throws with the basketball, at my disc. I had to use the backwards spin of the basketball and aim it right at the top of my disc each time, to slide it down inch by inch off the roof. It took about 50 or more free throws lol. But I finally got it down!

The sandpaper roof destroyed my roc's underside, but happy to get it back.

Tell us your story!

Landed on top of an abandoned cabin in Beacon, NY. Couldn't get up on the roof safely but fortunately was in a forested area. Found a long enough branch to reach but then I couldn't see the disc from the angle I was standing. Had to have someone 20 feet back giving me directions which way to move the stick.

It was really kind of odd trying to use a twisted, gnarly branch to scrape a disc you can't see off a roof above your head while you have no point of reference.

I got it.

I threw my first disc I ever bought, a dx rhyno, in a pond here at my home course. A very large, dirty pond. Usually when discs go in there, they're gone forever. However, my yellow rhyno was able to reflect the sun just enough to barely make out where it was, and I waded through the goose poop and hepatitis C water to get it. Worth it

Almost always have to use sticks, whether the disc be high, low, or underwater.

The one that was most impressive to me though happened when I had just started playing. I had a DX Shark and a DX Wraith. Was throwing them around the backyard and I hit a tree and it went under the playhouse in the back. There is maybe an inch or two gap between the ground and this glorious playhouse that my dad built when we were wee tykes. And this disc, this yellow DX Wraith that I bought just a couple days before, was stuck under this playhouse a couple of feet from the edge. Took a long stick, patience, many, many, bad words, and a Puerto Rican to get back.

I was putting on a very windy(25) mph day and had a long jump putt uphill. And put my disc on the bathhouse

I used to use a paintball gun to remove my discs stuck in trees, above rock throwing height. Worked perfectly every time, but it does make the disc a greasy mess. I no longer have a gun, but on occasion wish I did. Got some funny looks from other players on the course for sure.

I always carry a baseball. Easier to throw than rocks. Tennis ball works on roofs most of the time. Basketball was a good idea. We had to use a chunk of asphalt one day. Dood put his disc in the tree. It really wasn't a big deal, but he kept missing and ran out of stuff to throw at it.....so he threw his bag loaded with discs.:eek: Yup, you guessed it....strap hung in the tree.:doh::doh: Had to scout around a good bit to find something big enough (enter asphalt chunk), but we got it down after about 30 minutes and a hundred throws. If he ever does that again, I may have to do something to him.:\

LOL now that I would never have thought of throwing...from 1 lost disc to 20 haahaha
good stories so far, that hep C water one was gross.

I used to use a paintball gun to remove my discs stuck in trees, above rock throwing height. Worked perfectly every time, but it does make the disc a greasy mess. I no longer have a gun, but on occasion wish I did. Got some funny looks from other players on the course for sure.

did the gun ever cause damage to your discs? or just greasy?
I was thinking of carrying a small BB gun for that, but it might damage the disc. Seems easier than chucking a ball/rock all day

I've had to fish mine out with a big stick several times. I discovered that the LEDs used for night golf are surprisingly water resistant when put on with packing tape. It's easier to fish the lit disc out at night than trying during the day.

Several years ago I bought 100 ft of good almost climbing rope at a yard sale thinking that it would come in handy some time. So far I have only used it four times and every time was too retrieve a disc. From roofs and trees and a frozen pond.

did the gun ever cause damage to your discs? or just greasy?
I was thinking of carrying a small BB gun for that, but it might damage the disc. Seems easier than chucking a ball/rock all day

No damage at all, the paint balls break on contact. Not sure a bb gun would do anything, except put holes in it. Paintballs have a lot of mass compared to a bb.

So about five months after I started playing I got my nuke(I know I know) stuck into a thick tree...dead limbs and leaves made this a nest for discs, and squirrels...so me being the half lit dumbass I am, I threw my ace disc up to get it(a groove, I know I KNOW) the ace disc then got stuck...After this an older guy I played with probably about 60 threw his SHOE up un the nest...it got stuck!!
So now there is a nuke, groove, and shoe stuck in this tree. We then threw rocks up the tree and most of them got stuck! We threew until it was dark then called of the party...I left down a nuke and a groove....Phil walked home with one shoe...

The next day was windy and the discs got a little unlogged, my buddy brought some baseballs, we ended up getting both discs down fairly quickly...however the shoe was MIA... Phil bought a new pair.

Fastforward two months, we were all playing a round, and walked by that devil tree, underneath was a shoe with holes all throughout from squirrels! Phil instantly put the shoe on...needless to say he is an interesting character in the local disc scene

As a paintball player I have to beg of you to not use a gun on a public course. Ever. Please? Not to mention the possibility of you getting arrested.

Friends and I were playing the Bogus Basin summer course (during the winter its a ski resort) early last summer. Friend threw his champ Orc up at the very top of a tree that had to be atleast 50 feet tall. We threw rocks at it for probably a half hour at least. No luck. I found an empty glass beer bottle on the ground.. got the disc out with one single throw of that bottle.

One of the shortest and some say easiest holes at Shady Oaks up in Sacramento (Orangevale). It's a major anhyzer shot, pretty much shaped like a horse shoe. One way to throw it is with a huge thumber over the trees. Well I don't have a huge thumber, but I tried anyway. I ended up about 25 to 30 ft up in a tree. Broke out my trusty sling shot, picked up several rocks and had at it. It took several attempts, but finally nocked it out of the tree. It has a nice divot from the rock, but I still have it and that's what counts :)
Man, I tell ya. A sling shot is the waaaay to go!

Also at Shady Oaks on hole 12 there are some scrub oaks that eat discs. Near dusk my buddy gets one stuck in a smaller tree. He starts shaking the little feller and thud a ten pound chunk of concrete falls directly on his head. He now has a silver dollar sized scar on his dome peace. Never shake trees in the dark.

hole11_zps6bd81881.jpg

This is hole #11 on the monster course @ Hudson Mills in Dexter, MI [photo blatantly stolen from TimG on this here website, thanks!]. The red circle is approximately where the basket is and the big yellow box is a big disc-eating tree. That friggin tree has probably caught more discs thrown by me or someone in my group than any other obstacle on both courses at Hudson!

This past summer, we had a drive stuck probably 30-35 ft up the tree and had nothing handy but our water / gatorade bottles to attempt getting it down. It was beastly hot this summer so I'd guess it was between 90-100* out and every drop of water was at a premium (like in 127 hours lol).

After ~5 min of attempting to get the disc down, we had gotten every bottle stuck but one, and finally lobbed it through the branches to free our trapped plastic. However, while the disc managed to plinko back down to earth, our last means of hydration got caught in the tree along with 4 other bottles of various sizes.

We felt bad about leaving all the trash in the tree, but it was all gone by the time I returned. Thank you to whoever cleaned up our mess! :hfive:

I had a Star Destroyer with two aces on it stuck ~40 feet up in a tree. The hole has plenty of rocks to throw, but after 15 minutes I hadn't made any progress. A group of chuckers caught up to me, and I offered $10 to the first one to knock it down.

10 minutes and $10 later, I had my plastic back. :thmbup:

Latest posts