• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terminogly Question?

Why have we never heard the term dolf? Disc + Golf = Dolf. I don't like frolf but never really made a big deal out of it. I say Disc Golf.

In Finland, disc golf is officially called frisbee golf. There aren't really other widely used terms for the sport here.

This is just an example, an official sign to the only pro-level course in Helsinki:
frisbeepuisto.jpg

I don't have a problem with that though :thmbup:

Frisbee golf, sure. Even I call my discs frisbees now and then. But I try to say disc golf all the time and correct any mis-identification of the game. Because a golf disc isn't what people think of when they hear "frisbee".

And "disk golf" makes me think of people throwing CDs around.

DISK Golf....during the 2005 Worlds in Lehigh Valley PA there was a billboard that advertised world's and it was spelled DISK GOLF...what a slap in the face...so funny...we locals brushed it off as part of the Pennsylvania Dutch Heritage of the area and played it off as it was meant to be

Terminology Question

Saying "frisbee golf" does not bother me, but I refuse to say "frolf"...to me it sounds stupid. I always have called it "disc golf".
It's just a matter of mental conditioning. Once a term becomes recognized and used by the masses, it won't matter.

Although you do have a point in that "frolf" is not easy to roll off the tongue. All the awkward consonants. Perhaps that's one point against its eventual adoption by more people.

I keep my beer frothy and my disc golf frolfy.

I keep my beer frothy and my disc golf frolfy.

^ This.

I don't mind frisbee golf, normally its said from newer players just being introduced to this addiction. Frolf on the other hand.. Eff that S.. :thmbup: My best friend up in Omaha uses that term and it makes me like him less every day.

Frisbee golf, sure. Even I call my discs frisbees now and then. But I try to say disc golf all the time and correct any mis-identification of the game. Because a golf disc isn't what people think of when they hear "frisbee".

And "disk golf" makes me think of people throwing CDs around.

Why would you think that? You do realize that CD stands for Compact Disc? Right?

images

BTW, I found a CD on the course the other day so I threw it. Very understable. :p

^usually CDs are pretty stable.

i know a dude in the local scene who's serious about discin, plays tourneys and all that, but refers to his discs as 'friz'. its so fu*king annoying. "Yo, did you guys see where my friz landed?" (as i grabs a gun and shoots myself in the face)