• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I saw this on a Comet vs Mako3 thread. cracked me up! lol

ilikemyteasweet 18 points 1 year ago

Comet has a large bead, Mako 3 doesn't - if that's a factor.

On paper, they're pretty similar. I think the Comet is capable of a wider variety of shots, but that's a personal opinion.

Go watch Michael Johansen throw a Comet - that's the best marketing ever for a disc right there.

FrolfAmundsen 11 points 1 year ago

It's like watching Michaelangelo paint.

I've been wanting to pick up a MJ Z Comet to try but all the available colors seem to be, well "lost" color. I'm not real picky just prefer something bright but all I see available is Olive, Dark Green and Pewter. Couple those colors with my off fairway habits, I don't think that disc will have a good life expectancy in my bag.

Any ideas where a guy could get his hands on a findable colored one?

I've been wanting to pick up a MJ Z Comet to try but all the available colors seem to be, well "lost" color. I'm not real picky just prefer something bright but all I see available is Olive, Dark Green and Pewter. Couple those colors with my off fairway habits, I don't think that disc will have a good life expectancy in my bag.

Any ideas where a guy could get his hands on a findable colored one?

There's a pink one in the canal behind the basket on hole 7 at Oldsmar DGC. It's got my name on it, but if you can find it you can have it :thmbup:

I keep hearing that it's supposedly flippier than a comet, but I haven't been able to hold one physically and try it for myself. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this. I'm interested to hear aswell.

MJ,

What are your thoughts on the new ESP plastic. Do you feel that it's more grippy, durable, more stable? I have 2 discs in the new ESP and love them and only notice a slight difference between old and new ESP. Thanks

Rando question: have you played Orange Crush in Fairmont, WV? It's a course I'd expect you to enjoy and quite possibly destroy!

MJ,

What are your thoughts on the new ESP plastic. Do you feel that it's more grippy, durable, more stable? I have 2 discs in the new ESP and love them and only notice a slight difference between old and new ESP. Thanks

I really like the change in the esp plastic to what it is now. It really helps in the driver molds for durability. I think some of them will be more stable in this plastic, but it will all depend on the molds. Mostly it was a change so the discs would last longer. Really, really liking how the cranks fly in this plastic and how much grip I can get on them. Most of my bag has swapped over to this plastic. Kinda been a learning curve with them this year

Rando question: have you played Orange Crush in Fairmont, WV? It's a course I'd expect you to enjoy and quite possibly destroy!

Don't know that course. Unfortunately I haven't been to WV to play golf in quite a while

Can somebody give me a run down on how some of the newer comets fly? I took a 3 year hiatus throughout med school and am getting back in the game. Whats the difference between Big Z vs ESP swirly vs ESP Glo vs Tour Series?

Can somebody give me a run down on how some of the newer comets fly? I took a 3 year hiatus throughout med school and am getting back in the game. Whats the difference between Big Z vs ESP swirly vs ESP Glo vs Tour Series?

The plastic doesn't seem to make much difference in glide or flight. Dome, as always with comets, is the real deciding factor.

The bigZ and Tour series Z have the tallest domes. Which in turn means more glide, and a little less stability and wind resistance. The tour series is the more stable of these two plastics, and is a very straight disc off the shelf. The swirl ESP Glow tour series are the 'flattest' - they still have a nice tall shoulder, but don't have a tall dome in the middle of the flight plate. In my opinion, these comets are a tick faster, and have a tick more high speed stability than the tall domes you often see on Z and Glow Z. Haven't got my hands on a normal swirl ESP yet. As long as they don't come out super flat, you can likely expect them to fly like the tour series.

Latest posts