• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

DGPT Commercial

Nice work with the MJ Comet commercial on the live DGPT Green Mt. coverage. :hfive:

Seems like you got to interject a little personality which is nice. Hope the sales are going well.

Nice work with the MJ Comet commercial on the live DGPT Green Mt. coverage. :hfive:

Seems like you got to interject a little personality which is nice. Hope the sales are going well.

Thanks. I havent even seen it. Lol

Hey guys. At this point. What is the most OS comet? I remember people saying the 2018 Swirl ESP Glo MJ comets were pretty OS (for a comet, not in general). Is that still the one to track down? Or is it stock Z/glo, or the newer tour series?

Hey guys. At this point. What is the most OS comet? I remember people saying the 2018 Swirl ESP Glo MJ comets were pretty OS (for a comet, not in general). Is that still the one to track down? Or is it stock Z/glo, or the newer tour series?

That would be my pick, the 2018 Swirl Glo.

I have a couple of both and would definitely vote for the new tour series. if you find one that is on the domey side that is your best bet IMO.

Just to clarify, 2018 was ESP Glo and 2019 was swirl ESP (and 2017 was Z). I own a bunch of each of 2018 and 2019 and of the ones I have 2019 is more stable for sure . . . probably because all of them have a lot of dome. 2018 really varied between flat and domey (but less domey than 2019).

Can't help with 2020, I don't really like the Comet in Z and disliked the giant name stamps so I didn't buy any this year.

Of course I'm also tempted to answer that the most OS Comet is a Roc/Roc3 . . . ha ha

Last years tour series would be the most stable ones for non z plastic comets, but this years tour series is definitely the most stable ones I have thrown

I just bought a Comet in titanium plastic. I haven't thrown a Comet before today. Would the Titanium be on the more stable side? Less? In the first few throws, it turned 'too much'. I have read it's finicky, so I have work to do on my end to find the right power.

I just bought a Comet in titanium plastic. I haven't thrown a Comet before today. Would the Titanium be on the more stable side? Less? In the first few throws, it turned 'too much'. I have read it's finicky, so I have work to do on my end to find the right power.

With comets, titanium usually falls in between normal esp plastic and z plastic in terms of stability.
And yes the comet can be finicky to learn, but it teaches you how to have a clean release and how to use the disc to do work for you

If you want a nice stable comet with a little more "forgiveness", I recommend picking up an MJ tour series Comet. It's the best run I've thrown and I can really lay into with power (with proper form of course) and it handles the extra torque really well.

If you want a nice stable comet with a little more "forgiveness", I recommend picking up an MJ tour series Comet. It's the best run I've thrown and I can really lay into with power (with proper form of course) and it handles the extra torque really well.

I was looking for the 'Comet experience'. Threw a bit more today on the course. Wow the Comet goes straight and sneaky far. Seems to only fade if I'm not anticipating fade, otherwise, flat release is straaaaaaaaight. Anhyzers aren't giving any love quite yet. Fun disc though.

Edit: to clarify, anhyzer turn shots fade/flex at the end, but straight shots do not fade. That was the oddity today.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and double post, MJ can you give some insight on your thoughts on spin? You've talked quite a bit about spin control, but I haven't seen any real details. What shots require more or less spin? Do you see it a key to getting distance with less effort etc... thanks!

the thing is, is that its not the pressure in my grip its how i let my wrist break and my hand and fingers tranfer the power and spin to the disc. A big key is to not lock the disc against the palm of your hand when you grip it, it should stay out in the fingers with it just touching the hand where your index and middle finger meet the hand

the pressure in the grip is a different topic, but you press up with the index and down with the thumb, thumb is pressing in between the index and middle finger in that space. and you press back with the pinky. the middle and ring fingers just control the flight plate, not a lot of pressure on them at all

Bump because I finally figured out how to throw with a fan grip after reading this exchange between Sidewinder and MJ. Just like all things disc golf....I'd read/heard 100 times to keep the disc out of the palm, but I guess I never realized that it's more of a pinch between these fingers like holding a pencil/fork etc, and it's not really in your palm at all. Felt weird at first, but I threw some putters like this and they just snapped out of my hand with more spin than I've ever seen on a disc I've thrown. He's right in his pro tip video when he says you'll be surprised at how much power you get and it just comes out super smooth. Probably just going to play putter rounds for the next month while I geek out on this

Bump because I finally figured out how to throw with a fan grip after reading this exchange between Sidewinder and MJ. Just like all things disc golf....I'd read/heard 100 times to keep the disc out of the palm, but I guess I never realized that it's more of a pinch between these fingers like holding a pencil/fork etc, and it's not really in your palm at all. Felt weird at first, but I threw some putters like this and they just snapped out of my hand with more spin than I've ever seen on a disc I've thrown. He's right in his pro tip video when he says you'll be surprised at how much power you get and it just comes out super smooth. Probably just going to play putter rounds for the next month while I geek out on this
Excellent bump! Not covid or Bro-D related and we know MJ is not switching sponsors.

I had the same revelation after watching MJ's video about keeping the disc off your palm with a fan grip. I'm still dialing it in and I likely won't incorporate it into my driver grip. I'm definitely seeing some cool results throwing Comets with it though.

More videos please, MJ!