• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the benefits of Winter discing????

Shuie

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
i have been discing for 7 plus years now and still just don't get y people disc in the winter specially up north????

Its called an addiction. I can't go more than a few days without huking plastic.

I gotta get my fix not matter the weather, think im done in the snow unless it's a ice bowl. We dont get a ton so i can usaully go at least once or twice a week.

I think winter golf helps your game improve, nice to get outside and after a few holes you're not cold. I also agree, I can't go that long without playing.

Because we don't want to go months with out playing something we love?

That and...

And because the courses change with the seasons. You always have some sort of problem on a course...bugs, heat, sweat, leaves, mud, snow whatever. Some courses I like more in the late fall than the early fall, others I like in the summer better...

Because we have to place to ourselves!

Because it's easy to find discs when there's no snow...but no tall grasses either!

Because you can skip ace holes that are just out of your reach normally!

Because you can shoot over water without having to worry about swimming! (I hear that a disc that still has heat on it and hits close to level with the ice will skip off like a MOFO and get you across)

Better than making snow angels.

Better than shoveling the driveway!

Better than getting cabin fever!

Why not stay in your game...and smoke everybody next spring when they're all out of practice?

What else am I supposed to do? Take up Ice Skating?

Because you can play Night Golf at 4pm!

Need I Say More?

\/\/

i have been discing for 7 plus years now and still just don't get y people disc in the winter specially up north????

Winter is one of it not the best time of year to disc golf. I love to play in the cold and ice!

here in wisconsin we get a decent amount of snow an i think its more fun in the winter. less leaves on the tree no bugs, ya its cold but if you dress right its fine. it makes you a better player working on more technique since you can't do run ups.

ilove to disc but i usually play til the first few snow falls and then i just hit up my mini disc basket or go toss a few at my practive basket in my old man 100' pole building.... i guess, i just find it hard to go because 1, its cold as **** 2 with all that snow ur bound to loose a disc and the main factor is no way neone of my normal discing buddies would come with....

I love winter disc golf cause you have the place all to yourself. And also because if you throw right at the basket, which I love to do, and miss, there's no skips or roll aways. Everything just sits nicely.

Get a leg on on the people who hate the cold. Mile High Disc GOlf Club has a winter warrior league dedicated to playing specifically in colder weather.

That and...

And because the courses change with the seasons. You always have some sort of problem on a course...bugs, heat, sweat, leaves, mud, snow whatever. Some courses I like more in the late fall than the early fall, others I like in the summer better...

Because we have to place to ourselves!

Because it's easy to find discs when there's no snow...but no tall grasses either!

Because you can skip ace holes that are just out of your reach normally!

Because you can shoot over water without having to worry about swimming! (I hear that a disc that still has heat on it and hits close to level with the ice will skip off like a MOFO and get you across)

Better than making snow angels.

Better than shoveling the driveway!

Better than getting cabin fever!

Why not stay in your game...and smoke everybody next spring when they're all out of practice?

What else am I supposed to do? Take up Ice Skating?

Because you can play Night Golf at 4pm!

Need I Say More?

\/\/

no, seconded.

There's nothing in this world better than skiing from open til about 2:00, then hitting the DG course on the way home. Yeah, baby!!!

This is us playing after a day of skiing last year (December 2008):
picture.php

picture.php

That and...

\/\/

One of my new favorite courses has an interesting problem in the fall...it is literally cover in goose crap.. >.< A trade off for having a couple of good water holes I guess.

been covered;

less traffic anyway, but the TDD's and other assorted *******s are repelled by cold weather too.

also nice to open up a few lines that weren't there before.

Im not planning on playing htis winter, however im gonna stick the practice basket upstairs in the garage and practice putting every day :D

I got back from 4 months in Rome this year in January and no disc golf in that time. Needless to say I was jonesing for DG, so we went out 3-4 times a week this winter and we had some massive amounts of snow this year (like 4 feet one night and played the next day.)

One of my new favorite courses has an interesting problem in the fall...it is literally cover in goose crap..

Never had to deal with that til I move here. Hole 8 is like a mine field of goose ****.
I play over the winter for most of the same reasons already posted but I'll post it anyway. I like keeping my arm in throwing condition. I hate that pain in the forearm after the first couple throws of the spring. If you lose one you're most likely going to find it or get it back since you and just a few others out there are playing. So those guys recognize you and dudes that play over the winter are stand up guys that are gonna return a disc. Like pretty much everybody else has said. Having the course to yourself. There is nothing like the silence you get during the winter. Being in South Dakota theres a month of so that I won't play. Learned that last year when I tried to go out when it was -20. I bought a mask just in case I try it again this year. Somebody needs to invent eye warmers.

Latest posts