• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the benefits of Winter discing????

the epic crowds at richmond hill finally disperse... a little.

We were in NC the same month I started disc golfing. Hit Richmond Hills and it ate my lunch, but we had a blast. Only had to let one group play through. we had the course practically to ourselves.
Of course it was the middle of the day on a weekday!

All of the reasons above. Why limit yourself to only part of the year?

I like ball golf. And when I lived in south Jersey I could play all year most of the time. There were days when it snowed and the courses were closed. And days with frost on the greens. But those days were few and far between. Then I moved to WNY and discovered disc golf. Same game except my gf could do it with me. She never got the hang of a ball golf swing. It was free. And best of all we could do it ALL YEAR long.

Losing discs in the snow is a lame excuse. You can attach ribbons as I've heard that some folks do. We never have and in 2 winters between the 2 of us have only lost one disc. And that was simply a 420 moment of forgetting it while warming up.

And forgive this old stoner with a severe case of CRS if this was mentioned already, but we get a sort of smug feeling of satisfaction knowing we are out playing in the snow while most fair weather friends sit inside their nice warm homes wishing for summer instead of getting out from in front of the tube and "doing" something.

Is there a type of plastic you guys prefer in cold weather/snow?

I played in 45 degree weather yesterday, with a light rain.

Not only did my hands hurt, but I had trouble with grips on many of my drives.

My Star Aviar slipped off the chains often. I was wondering if there is a type of plastic that is best in cold weather, best in rain, best at grabbing chains in wet weather, etc.

i dunno bout you guys, but all that staying indoors starts to pack on the weight. gotta get my fat ass out to the course and sweat off a few pounds.

i rarely play in snow over 2 inch (my disc always skids under it). but 2in or less and if its not 20mph winds, i'm ready to play!

It get's pretty brutal down here in west palm but I think I am going to try to tough it out and play some rounds this winter.:D

You can pee-sign your name in the snow instead of d-bagging up a basket when you get an ace!

the epic crowds at richmond hill finally disperse... a little.

???
I play Richmond Hill all the time.
The only crowds occur on mid to late Fridays and Saturdays. In the morning or during the week, there are rarely people playing. Its not hard to wake up in time to beat the college crowd on the weekends.
And wait until it becomes 36 holes - disc golf destination USA time.

Over the years I think I have played in most of what Mother Nature has to offer and much was in tournament play. Weather can really level the playing field. :p Don't have many great stories about beautiful, sunny days but I have some killer crappy weather stories that will last a lifetime. ;)
For some reason, I seem to play best in a nice, steady rain. :cool:

Latest posts