• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The big change

luckyeagle404

So iv noticed a lot of big changes in everyone's bag lately. Everyone trying to switch over to one brand or another. Facebook has been full of posts asking " what discs flies like my ____. So I figured I'd start a topic asking the most popular question. What is your absaloutly favorite disc in your bag. And what discs have you found from other manufacturers that flies almost identical to your favorite

My favorite disc in my bag would be the Firebird. I carry three from new to beat. The Lat 64 xXx is a fairly decent substitute, and one that I used when I carried an all Lat 64 bag for a short time. I don't think I'll ever replace the Firebird in my bag though, I use them for a wide variety of shots and know the mold pretty well in all stages of wear.

My favorite now is an esp Comet, but I just got two un-laces that I'm having some fun learning.

MD2, without a shadow of a doubt. And I haven't found anything that really flies like it, not properly, and especially not with the variety of plastics on offer. If I had to replace with something from another company... I think I'd have to change my current approach to mids and learn a new way.

Honestly, I've always wondered why people switch from a disc they know and love when their only goal is to switch brands. If you love tee birds, why switch because you want your bag to be a different brand? The answer to "what flies like a tee bird" is "a tee bird". If there is another compelling reason to switch (for example, this summer I fell in love with the plastic that Lat 64 uses. It's grip and feel provided me a compelling reason to switch most of my bag over to a combination of their 3 brands. Not for the brand, but for the grip and the plastic.) then go for it.

That said, my favorite disc for the last many years was the OLF. I've found a suitable replacement in the Trespass. My beloved buzzz's were replaced by Truths. I'd say right now, though, that if the OLF and the Buzzz were issued in Opto plastic, I'd go back to those molds right away. For me, the plastic, not the brand, was a reasonable reason to switch.

Don't you start with this Trilogy shit. Latitude 64 only has 1 brand, they just do the manufacturing for two other brands at their shop.

And all three brands use the same plastic blends. Pretty straight forward. Don't care about the brand, just like the plastic. And between the 3 brands, there's a lot of discs to choose from.

I can't really respond to the questions asked, but over time, DD and Westside have taken over a lot of my bag. For whatever reason, I like the discs from those two more than the ones from Lat 64.

The scarcity of soft p-pd's and Gold Line plastic was enough reason for me to switch to latitude produced discs. It would take ages for an s-pd to beat in enough and if I lost it i'd be screwed. I've noticed a few top pro's don't even use seasoned discs anymore so that they can simply pick up a new one. That said I still throw a mixed bag though the majority is now a mix of opto/gold line. Fairways and slower are pretty set at Saint Pro/River, Mace/Fuse, VP/Pure. Trying Flows and Giants for distance to replace Destroyers. Favorite disc in my bag is my 177 Gold Line River.

It's off-season for me now, but the big change for me last summer was that I dropped all (eh, almost all) high speed stuff out of bag. I found out that I don't really need anything faster than a Teebird. I have a very simple bag and all discs in it are essential to me. If I'm allowed to pick just one disc from the bag, it's the beaten flat-top S-MD2, Star Teebird is a close second.

I guess there are lots of discs that fly "just like the teebird", but I haven't found a disc that flies the same way as my S-MD2. Okay, Pro-D Buzzz maybe close to it, but it's Pro-D plastic so it doesn't count.