• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Craze(y) disc formally known as the CD

jubuttib

* Ace Member *
I got a CD S-Line some time ago and am pretty fond of it, and since I'm a collector spirit I decided to get the Craze stamped one before it hit Finland. I ordered from disc golf values and everything went smoothly (except I thought the only Craze stamped one was the S-line, which I ordered, but got a P-line one instead, that's a whopping $3 I lost!) and the discs arrived today. But as soon as I grabbed the new CD I noticed something.

1t3d38.png

2wh4ehx.png

Now, I know that a little parting line difference is normal between S-Line and P-Line (noticed this with my DDs) but the top is a completely different mold. Anybody have any info on this? How is this new mold supposed to fly? I'd go test how they fly myself but there's 2 foot of snow and -7,6 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

PS. Just so you know, I also checked the discs without the table cloth, it looked exactly the same. Due to the parting line height I suspect the Craze is a damn sight more understable, but I'm going to have to wait for spring to check that.

I like the shape on the P one better. Maybe it just molded up differently?

I'm going to send Mark an email and ask him what he knows.

They could theoretically be the same mold peices with the only change being some tweaking of the individual process variables. Less packing, less holding time, and less clamping tonnage on the mold pieces will cause more shrinkage and give you that dip in the flight plate over the wing. I can't comment too much on the nose radius difference right now.

But Acom's Razor says it looks like a different mold piece.

Timko said:
It looks like the PD top with some nose spacers in it.

very much so. i always wanted to try the CD. spreading around rumors of a PD top could get some sales on this board haha

It does look like a PD top. Just for the sake of it, I took a picture of my S-Line Freak stamped PD next to the P-Line CD. Freak on the left, Craze on the right.
1z2ix6x.png

If you need more/better pictures just say so. I have to warn you, I'm a wee bit drunk right now, but I think I can manage.

A thought occurred to me: Since Crazes are supposed to be only available in S-Line and the disc doesn't look anything like a normal CD, is it possible that I got a P-Line PD that was miss-stamped as a CD?

i am curious how they throw in the field. a certain someone needs to get off their drunk ass and do some field testing for us

jubuttib said:
A thought occurred to me: Since Crazes are supposed to be only available in S-Line and the disc doesn't look anything like a normal CD, is it possible that I got a P-Line PD that was miss-stamped as a CD?

the new CD still looks different from that PD but it is hard to tell because of the shadow underneath the CD/Craze thing

I'm drunk, there's 2 feet of snow, it's -7,6 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't have a car and the nearest place that has any space is 3 miles away. Good luck convincing me to go out and throw these things. =)

That, and my good drives only go around 300 feet, so I doubt my results are of much use to you.

Edit: It's also as dark as it'll ever be, sun set over 2 hours ago over here.

It's different, yes, but it looks more like a PD than a CD in any case.

It looks like the difference between the Proto and Production PDs. Proably the same tops.

afaik cd shared the very same, now broken, top with teerexes, vikings, etc.. so we kinda knew this was coming, didn't we?

tumpsi said:
afaik cd shared the very same, now broken, top with teerexes, vikings, etc.. so we kinda knew this was coming, didn't we?

It looks more like it had a Teerex-x/Xcal top with the square nose and not the Teerex/Viking top.

Its DEFINITELY a mold change. That new one looks very interesting. Any change was good imo, I didn't think the original CD was a very good disc. Now it looks like a PD-L or some kind of Roadrunner/Sidewinder hybrid. I'd like to throw that sucker.

Dave Dunipace said:
The "First Run" was actually a proto. There were very few of those made.
All of the Discmania drivers have the same characteristic look now. As far as the way they fly, they should be very similar.

Hmm, very few, I wonder how few. Probably not few enough to warrant a collectible status. Anyway, I like the FRCD, I haven't had the chance to throw it anywhere except a soccer field yet, but it was a very very straight flyer, landed very straight and then almost always took a massive straight skip. My best lucky throw with it was approximately 350-360 feet long and had less than 10 feet of sideways movement. The skip on that was around 60 feet (I was tossing back and forth with a friend who saw the landing clearly). A really low line. I hope that the regular CD will handle similarly, I've yet to throw a disc that handles quite like it.

Latest posts