• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The DEAD Drill

Flashblastx

Par Member
I started watching some of these videos after seeing something from this guy in the kinetic sequence thread. This drill really breaks down the body movement in the swing in simple terms, I really see this transferring so well. The post seems like a pretty good word choice for brace, just helps me picture it better and the deceleration. I think if you do these moves with a good old dingle arm then your form will only get better. Thoughts?

After practicing the last movement I really feel my shoulders decelerate after my hips and my arm comes whipping out. The transfer of energy feels quite real and easy to feel. These concepts have been said many times over but hopefully this can help put it in different terms or a concept of movements that anyone can replicate!

Drill starts at 12:25.

That last movement seems to correspond with HUBs backhand form week 1 video which I watched right before this one. Pushing off the ground to move the lead hip back instead of driving the rear hip around. I was then able to watch SWs spinning vs shifting video and can see and understand the difference between those two throws.

For some reason post or his description of posting up in another video really helped me to feel and realize how that decelerates the hips so the next body part up the chain can take over.

I think I thought the brace referred to just stopping lateral motion so you didn't fly past your plant which I think is important but it is really bracing lateral and vertical forces which cause rotational force that gets stopped or halted by your glute contracting. I don't think I was ever really engaging any vertical or glute forces (maybe better term than rotational forces).

I like how he focuses on the big picture, seems like too many people get caught up in fixing small details instead of realizing how fixing the bigger problem is easier and then make small tweaks to things.

Filmed some practice swings and it's getting me into some pretty sweet positions! Now if only it wasn't so cold 😭

Very good stuff! Should the second move mainly use the core muscles? "Dislocating" the upper torso from the lower body is a new sensation to me. Feel my core muscles activate a lot. Is this on the right track?

Btw, the three moves are summarised at the 15:10 mark.

Very good stuff! Should the second move mainly use the core muscles? "Dislocating" the upper torso from the lower body is a new sensation to me. Feel my core muscles activate a lot. Is this on the right track?

I would gladly listen to someone describe the transition/weight shift/pressure shift a bit. I can do it just sort of, but it's leaking power for me I think. I feel like if I am able to get it right I'll feel much more power from the ground up.

To answer your questions I belive that you should feel your core load up and release rather than activate and twist. Try to be relaxed for a much longer time then you would think. Finally you won't be able to resist the force trying to pull your shoulders around. Then you should just let go.
The difficult part (for me at least) is getting there dynamically. It's much easier to be standing in "the second move" and then backtrace so your shoulders are loaded up but still being in "the second move" pr close to it. Do it again and again, but try to get closer and closer to "the first move" and then transition to "the second move". Remeber to be athletic bit relaxed. I think that should work for you to get the feel right. Unfortunately I can't help you get from the first move to the second move in a fluid and correct way.

I would gladly listen to someone describe the transition/weight shift/pressure shift a bit. I can do it just sort of, but it's leaking power for me I think. I feel like if I am able to get it right I'll feel much more power from the ground up.

To answer your questions I belive that you should feel your core load up and release rather than activate and twist. Try to be relaxed for a much longer time then you would think. Finally you won't be able to resist the force trying to pull your shoulders around. Then you should just let go.
The difficult part (for me at least) is getting there dynamically. It's much easier to be standing in "the second move" and then backtrace so your shoulders are loaded up but still being in "the second move" pr close to it. Do it again and again, but try to get closer and closer to "the first move" and then transition to "the second move". Remeber to be athletic bit relaxed. I think that should work for you to get the feel right. Unfortunately I can't help you get from the first move to the second move in a fluid and correct way.

Have you tried doing it in other activities other than BH in disc golf. Say throwing a ball or punching. Is the weight shift pretty automatic there?

Have you tried doing it in other activities other than BH in disc golf. Say throwing a ball or punching. Is the weight shift pretty automatic there?

Yea it is. I have no problem shifting. That's not really what I meant. I'm always trying to improve, and recently I've just been trying to improve my weight shift and brace. It feels like I'm rushing through it or resisting a bit of the natural swing in a way. I'd like it to feel more powerful in my leading leg and hip. I can feel that power and amplify it when doing static drills. When I throw it's not strong enough.

The second move or how I feel it is just simply sitting into the right leg. It feels as though I am just dropping off of my left foot and catching my weight and sitting into it. The Hersheyer drill is this but I couldn't feel it with that drill because I was over doing it. Try to stand up tall on your left foot. Turn your torso back as far as you can you should feel tight in the core, probably what you're feeling now and then simply let your weight fall to the right leg and catch it, your torso may turn slightly (that's your body wanting to unwind). If it feels tight and awkward in your hips, your back may be extended and not flexed as you are making this transition. It should be comfortable and a powerful position to push off the right leg that you end up in.

I like your description, it truly feels like my lead leg and hip are unwinding everything just by pushing off the ground. My feeling of the weight shift above :)

Yea it is. I have no problem shifting. That's not really what I meant. I'm always trying to improve, and recently I've just been trying to improve my weight shift and brace. It feels like I'm rushing through it or resisting a bit of the natural swing in a way. I'd like it to feel more powerful in my leading leg and hip. I can feel that power and amplify it when doing static drills. When I throw it's not strong enough.

Try the good old slapper with a hockey stick. Think about what you are doing. Go through the motion. You will find out that you have to lean against the ground. You should feel pressure in your butt and ready to crush the can under your right heel. Thats where the shift and brace come from. Your center of mass being low, oriented towards the target and ready to press the ground. You will need to maintain the sense of tension in your right side and to do that you will have to turn/coil back in a very spesific way.

Try the good old slapper with a hockey stick. Think about what you are doing. Go through the motion. You will find out that you have to lean against the ground. You should feel pressure in your butt and ready to crush the can under your right heel. Thats where the shift and brace come from. Your center of mass being low, oriented towards the target and ready to press the ground. You will need to maintain the sense of tension in your right side and to do that you will have to turn/coil back in a very spesific way.

Thanks! I've had some luck before trying to think about the brace like if I were to do a hockey slap shot, even though I've never actually played hockey.
Maybe I should try to find that feeling again. That's a good reminder.
Right now I feel the brace best when doing stand stills and approach shots. I kind of lose the feeling of being able to really step on the gas and pump my throw from the ground up when throwing for distance. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks! I've had some luck before trying to think about the brace like if I were to do a hockey slap shot, even though I've never actually played hockey.
Maybe I should try to find that feeling again. That's a good reminder.
Right now I feel the brace best when doing stand stills and approach shots. I kind of lose the feeling of being able to really step on the gas and pump my throw from the ground up when throwing for distance. I'll keep working on it.

To discover how to stop my lateral motion the hockey shot really helped me think of how it should feel. But, I don't think the hockey "stop" or brace really helped me feel how to not get tangled up in my legs. Now I know it's because I wasn't really loading my weight on that leg and pushing my hip back and activating my glute. That pushing really braces your body and stops moving the hips so that your body whips around that lead hip.

For moving into I think a slower pace of x step helps a ton and it almost feels like my leg is a pogo stick absorbing the fall from my left leg.

So hop up off right leg in the x-step, you should land extended on left leg and then let your weight fall and glide off the left leg and catch yourself on right leg. Compress on right leg and push off like a pogo stick. You won't need to move as fast sense you can actually push with your leg and hip and you will see yourself whip around so fast.

It feels like exactly what Ken Jarvis does in that older video of him throwing during the speed test videos. See him stand tall, fall, and push.

Do you have a link for the Jarvis video?

Yeah these are the main two. I have found a few extra videos on Facebook. He's like a rare wild creature that you spot 😂 but you can see him glide along that left leg as it's extended and use gravity to sit into the right leg and you can actively see him push and whip his body around that right hip.

I'll see if I can find the Facebook videos, such amazing form.

Yeah I never got to see these guys play but they were spoken of in hushed tones by the local pros in Carolina. Smooth drop & pop action there.

The second move or how I feel it is just simply sitting into the right leg. It feels as though I am just dropping off of my left foot and catching my weight and sitting into it. The Hersheyer drill is this but I couldn't feel it with that drill because I was over doing it. Try to stand up tall on your left foot. Turn your torso back as far as you can you should feel tight in the core, probably what you're feeling now and then simply let your weight fall to the right leg and catch it, your torso may turn slightly (that's your body wanting to unwind). If it feels tight and awkward in your hips, your back may be extended and not flexed as you are making this transition. It should be comfortable and a powerful position to push off the right leg that you end up in.
Sounds like Swivel Stairs...

Sounds like Swivel Stairs...

It's crazy how all your drills start to make so much more sense the more you start to get it with the lower body driving the throw. I tried that drill and I could not feel it until I somewhat sat into (as safely as possible haha) and then stood up. I think before I was not really transferring all my weight and when I did you really feel that pump and power of gravity crashing down rather loudly. It is profound but you don't really have to add much to it, you just have to trust the physics and be smooth. I think I was constantly trying to hard to transfer my weight, chronic problem of mine.