• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Flick sucks mah Dick..

Expired

Bogey Member
So I bought it as a forehand only disc, and the mother immediately curves right and heads straight for the ground.
I'm forehanding as I do with a frisbee, and I'm assuming this correct technique won't work because the disc is so over stable.
Wtf!? Are you supposed to forehand in disc golf like you're pitching a baseball? That seems to be the only way to get it to level out.

I'm guessing you are a righty with a lot of Ultimate experience. the Flick was designed with the baseball sidearm thrower in mind. a lot of people have a ton of wrist roll in their FH throw which can be offset with an insanely overstable disc like the Flick. since you appear to have ultimate experience you should be able to FH any disc. you may also want to just FH the Flick harder.

Expired said:
So I bought it as a forehand only disc, and the mother immediately curves right and heads straight for the ground.
I'm forehanding as I do with a frisbee, and I'm assuming this correct technique won't work because the disc is so over stable.
Wtf!? Are you supposed to forehand in disc golf like you're pitching a baseball? That seems to be the only way to get it to level out.

Im not sure this is real and on the off chance it is legit, here it goes. The Flick is a fine disc for forehand and you probably are having issues with your form. I linked a couple videos that will give you a good base for your Forehand shots.

Forehand video (with our very own celebrity Mark Ellis)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

I also listed a video with the overhead shot. This is a nice shot to have in your bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZQbxrr1v8

CHEERS - Koffee

yeah after the whole FHthrower fiasco I was a bit skiddish too. I wonder if FHthrower is a 990 rated player.

Expired said:
Hey man,

I think I can help you out here because a) I'm an ulty player as well (do you play for Angus? I played with Crude last year, and probably will next year) b) I throw forehand, with legit 420-430 ft distance.

tip #1 -- It's not a frisbee. the more you think of an overstable disc like the flick as a frisbee, the worse off you are
tip #2 -- You're a shortstop, it's a baseball, and you're turning a double play (x, 6, 3) [edit, had x, 6,1 originally... which is obviously wrong]
tip #3 -- do NOT use your ulty flick grip, use this:
P1010015.jpg

Using your utly grip will result in that flight path you're seeing, AND will cause you to start flipping your flicks when you pick up an ultrastar again-- the worst of both worlds
tip #4 -- put down the Flick for the time being. If you aren't topping 350 FH, use it as a thumber disc (I think you'll also find hammers -- "tomahawks" in DG speak -- very hard to turn over with an overstable disc. A P PD is a GREAT disc to learn the FH shot with.

The flick is not designed for distance or to glide. It is more of a brute force disc that knifes through wind. It is super stable. I use mine for hook shots around stuff or tee shots into strong wind.

If you're going to play disc golf with only 1 driver, and you're a forehander, the Flick isn't for you. I'd try trading it on this site or around your local field for something more controllable. Maybe a Champion Teebird.

If you're going to play to 3 drivers or more, and want a driver that will be overstable even with a high powered forehand, the Flick will do that.

I must've found a freakishly flippy Flick! Mine turns into a roller in 15 mph or more headwinds. :-/

Danforth said:
I must've found a freakishly flippy Flick! Mine turns into a roller in 15 mph or more headwinds. :-/

Some are more than others, but the big arms (guys that throw 425+) tend to feel the flick is only speed stable, it has a bit of high speed turn when thrown well fast.

Thatdirtykid said:
Danforth said:

Some are more than others, but the big arms (guys that throw 425+) tend to feel the flick is only speed stable, it has a bit of high speed turn when thrown well fast.

I'd agree, it is only speed stable. When I put full nuts on it into a headwind, I have to put about 15 deg of hyzer on it to keep it from fliping over. Even with hyzer, it tries to turn a little before it comes back and fades. And I can only throw T-chikns about 350!!

does anyone agree that it's more stable than a Champ XCal? I haven't thrown one, but was always under the impression that it went Force->XCal->Flick in terms of stability in a high speed disc

I've thrown a Z-Flick as a thumber and a sidearm disc (at times) and I found that the Star Xcal to be more stable than the Flick. I've had that flick turnover into a headwind and I've never had that happen with the Xcal. I'd have to assume that the Champ Xcal is slightly more of a meathook than the star version.

StumperTX said:
does anyone agree that it's more stable than a Champ XCal? I haven't thrown one, but was always under the impression that it went Force->Surge SS->Force -> Wraith -> Force ->XCal->Flick in terms of stability in a high speed disc

Fixed.

kern9787 said:
StumperTX said:
does anyone agree that it's more stable than a Champ XCal? I haven't thrown one, but was always under the impression that it went Force->Surge SS->Force -> Wraith -> Force ->XCal->Flick in terms of stability in a high speed disc

Fixed.
It took me a second, but I finally got it. :lol:

Latest posts