• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Innova needs to make a vid of The Mountain throwing it over that mountain...

Somebody posted a video of him chucking plastic a little while ago. Big dude for sure, but didn't look real good with a frisbee. Those discs looked like minis in his hands though.

Maybe someone will rummage up the clip.....I'm far too lazy lol

I know you're not allowed to give specifics but...

...can you at least tell us whether you have actually held one of the new mids? Or are they still early in the experimenting/design stage?... The not knowing anything part of all this(combined with some people losing their favorite disc) has really soured a bunch of people on MVP.

:popcorn:

And those of us who love the other MVP discs aren't bothered by losing access to models we never threw and are looking forward to the new mids.

Just because people are friends doesn't mean they want to share a sponsor. Considering the fact that Uli has sizable input on Team Discraft I would be surprised to see Catrina there.

meh...not so fast. If you remember, Paige hanging out with all the DD crew (very early on) looking back.. was a clear sign something was up. Would not surprise me if Calvin goes to DD. DD needs a top MPO contender.

meh...not so fast. If you remember, Paige hanging out with all the DD crew (very early on) looking back.. was a clear sign something was up. Would not surprise me if Calvin goes to DD. DD needs a top MPO contender.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. RE: PP we all knew she was unhappy at Prodigy (she made that loud and clear) and was headed to DD. Calvin, on the other hand, has not publicly expressed the same sentiments towards his sponsors. IIRC people were speculating on Madison Walker moving to Trilogy because of who her friends were signed with and that turned out to be false.

I don't mean to insult you. But what a dumb take this is. I truly don't understand the silly internet hate that the DD team gets sometimes. All I can think is that people are jealous that DD absolutely KILLS it at the media game and their favorite brand is probably left in the dust comparatively. And does this spread to all the Trilogy lineup? Emerson Keith is doing pretty well with the Lat64 stuff and that includes some DD plastic.

DD has lacked a regular top 5 MPO finisher since Emac left the touring scene. I really hope that Clemons stays with DD and becomes that player. He has the potential to.

If you put every sponsored team each into their own separate room, I know that if I went into the team DD room I would probably have the most fun. Most of you internet posters have never once even spoken to these players. And every time I see someone disparage DD (or any team) I just think, "Wow. That person is stupid." And I hope that every other person reading it does as well.

No insult taken but I am going to sound like an old stay of my lawn p**** now. I respect your opinion although we do not know each other personally and no I do not know the DD people at all personally either. They all seem like very nice people from when I have been around a few of them but several seem to have no balance in life outside of dg which makes it difficult to understand how they are not more successful at tournaments. That being said, I have never really been close friends with hipster types that exhibit a need for attention as my close friends and family have never felt compelled to act that way. I could see hanging out with Clemons and Melton when I was younger as they seem to have balance, a sense of self awareness and could maintain a conversation without mentioning dg. I will say that at age 18, I am so glad I did not have a trust fund, become a professional athlete (which would have lasted a year at most), travel the world and miss out on college life because I would have missed out on so many good times and friends I have been close with since childhood and college.

Just because people are friends doesn't mean they want to share a sponsor. Considering the fact that Uli has sizable input on Team Discraft I would be surprised to see Catrina there.

Yep. You'll see Nate Perkins hanging out with the DD crew on and off the course, but he's not leaving Discmania anytime soon.

DD has lacked a regular top 5 MPO finisher since Emac left the touring scene.
[drift]

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was cool when McCabe won World's. He came on in the end and took that title from Feldberg. It was a quality win.

Other than that World's, McCabe wasn't a week-in/week-out contender. He wasn't a regular top five finisher at major events; he doesn't have a top-five finish at a big event since before Dynamic started making discs. I'm pretty sure his last top 5 at a NT/Major was in 2012 when he was still with Discraft; his last win of any significance is his World's win in '10.

He was a Barsby-type Champion. It was cool that he won. It was an anomaly, though. It was a surprise that he won as he took down a much more notable player to do so. He won it and you can't take it away from him, but even his reputation as a player has benefited from the Dynamic marketing/hype. He was kinda the disc golf equivalent of a one-hit wonder.

I don't mean this to try to trash the guy; I mean he won World's. I really love it when those oddball Barsby/McCabe/Cam Todd championships happen, it's fun when they come up. McCabe taking down Feldberg was really cool when it happened. You just can't take that one win and retroactively make him a weekly top-5 guy, because he wasn't.

[/drift]

Discmania should have picked up Mountain. He is from Norway, and he would have been good ad for that Game of Throws thing.

No idea if that GoT thing worked out as they intended, haven't heard anything from it since the launch.

[drift]

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was cool when McCabe won World's. He came on in the end and took that title from Feldberg. It was a quality win.

Other than that World's, McCabe wasn't a week-in/week-out contender. He wasn't a regular top five finisher at major events; he doesn't have a top-five finish at a big event since before Dynamic started making discs. I'm pretty sure his last top 5 at a NT/Major was in 2012 when he was still with Discraft; his last win of any significance is his World's win in '10.

He was a Barsby-type Champion. It was cool that he won. It was an anomaly, though. It was a surprise that he won as he took down a much more notable player to do so. He won it and you can't take it away from him, but even his reputation as a player has benefited from the Dynamic marketing/hype. He was kinda the disc golf equivalent of a one-hit wonder.

I don't mean this to try to trash the guy; I mean he won World's. I really love it when those oddball Barsby/McCabe/Cam Todd championships happen, it's fun when they come up. McCabe taking down Feldberg was really cool when it happened. You just can't take that one win and retroactively make him a weekly top-5 guy, because he wasn't.

[/drift]

You could probably say similar things about Avery Jenkins...correct?

No insult taken but I am going to sound like an old stay of my lawn p**** now. I respect your opinion although we do not know each other personally and no I do not know the DD people at all personally either. They all seem like very nice people from when I have been around a few of them but several seem to have no balance in life outside of dg which makes it difficult to understand how they are not more successful at tournaments. That being said, I have never really been close friends with hipster types that exhibit a need for attention as my close friends and family have never felt compelled to act that way. I could see hanging out with Clemons and Melton when I was younger as they seem to have balance, a sense of self awareness and could maintain a conversation without mentioning dg. I will say that at age 18, I am so glad I did not have a trust fund, become a professional athlete (which would have lasted a year at most), travel the world and miss out on college life because I would have missed out on so many good times and friends I have been close with since childhood and college.

weird flex but ok

You could probably say similar things about Avery Jenkins...correct?
Nope. Avery was a legit top-5 guy. There was no surprise factor when he won. He had won NT's, won a Players Cup, and had a lot of top 5 finishes in NT's and majors. He was somebody you expected to win eventually. McCabe had also won a Player Cup when it was a major, but that win was also a surprise as he had no NT wins and wasn't consistently a contender. They were not really considered on the same level until McCabe won his World's. In retrospect their careers look somewhat similar (one Worlds, one Players Cup, success drops off after winning World's as they transition into a brand ambassador) but at the time Jenkins was considered on a different level.

Cam Todd, Eric McCabe and Gregg Barsby are really the only players that caught me by surprise when they won. Maybe Doss the first time he won as I'm not sure I was really aware of him before he won, but in retrospect if his win was a surprise to me in '05 it was because I'm dumb. The other one-time winners since I've been following disc golf were Ron Russell, Dave Feldberg and Avery Jenkins and none of those guys were really a surprise. I mean, other than the fact that ANYBODY other than Climo won in '99 was a surprise. If somebody was going to beat him, Russell would have been high on the list of candidates.

And she is a 4-time Estonian champ...after playing just 5y . .just wow

She is super good but unfortunately the FPO field is not that strong to make it truly unbelievable stat. Eveliina hadnt been playing all that long when she won nationals either. If my daughter ever picks up disc golf and gets a competitive strain, I wouldnt be too suprised for her to do quite well. Hopefully DG is huge in 10 years and us parents can just coast on her wins :D

Well now. Sounds like any girl can pick up the disc and be the best... Its not exactly like that of course. But it is a little bit like that.

Last edited:
Nope. Avery was a legit top-5 guy. There was no surprise factor when he won. He had won NT's, won a Players Cup, and had a lot of top 5 finishes in NT's and majors. He was somebody you expected to win eventually. McCabe had also won a Player Cup when it was a major, but that win was also a surprise as he had no NT wins and wasn't consistently a contender. They were not really considered on the same level until McCabe won his World's. In retrospect their careers look somewhat similar (one Worlds, one Players Cup, success drops off after winning World's as they transition into a brand ambassador) but at the time Jenkins was considered on a different level.

Cam Todd, Eric McCabe and Gregg Barsby are really the only players that caught me by surprise when they won. Maybe Doss the first time he won as I'm not sure I was really aware of him before he won, but in retrospect if his win was a surprise to me in '05 it was because I'm dumb. The other one-time winners since I've been following disc golf were Ron Russell, Dave Feldberg and Avery Jenkins and none of those guys were really a surprise. I mean, other than the fact that ANYBODY other than Climo won in '99 was a surprise. If somebody was going to beat him, Russell would have been high on the list of candidates.

I'm going to have to disagree with you regarding Cam Todd. He was a top 5 player for a good 4-5 year stretch, sandwiched around his World title and Player of the Year win in 2001. He was a full time touring player when there were barely a handful of them. His Worlds win wasn't out of nowhere or a surprise to those paying attention...he finished 7th the year before. If it weren't for some behavioral problems that more or less chased him off the tour for a decade, he was certainly capable of winning another major or two.

I'm going to have to disagree with you regarding Cam Todd.
That's fair, I'm going off of memory. In 2000 my daughter was born and disc golf was nothing I paid much attention to for several years. When I looked up who won in '01 I had never heard of him before and I had been following things up through '99, but he probably would have been less of a surprise if I was paying closer attention. He certainly was good for several years afterward and his career is an anomaly because he walks away, so he doesn't fit all that well in with any sort of example since nothing really compares well to him. I have the same sort of feeling about his win as I have about the Doss win in '05; I think it did surprise me at the time, but I was a dad with two kids under the age of six with no time to play disc golf and dial-up Internet. It wasn't all that hard to surprise me.

I probably get off lucky from that era with Schultz's two titles since he was a known quantity for a long, long time before he won. In that 2000-2006 time frame where I was very much out of the loop Climo won three titles and Schultz won two. I was surprised in '06 that Climo wining was a surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.