• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The INFAMOUS Destroyers

gj pain

Par Member
I looked for a second and didn't see any threads on Destroyers on the first page.

I love mine. I got a 172g Star that is beat in perfectly, with a laser straight beginning and that predictable fade at the end. It convinced me to pick another Star yesterday.

I was at the shop and noticed that the destroyer was made in practically all of the Innova plastics. I was wondering what were people's opinions on the pro, champ, and dx plastics. I love the mold so much I want to try them all.

I bought my first Pro Destroyer last summer and quickly grew to love it for the same reason - laser straight with a good glide and a predictable fade at the end. The kind of long-range driver that I can put where I want it. I lost it in a sea of brambles, so bad that I had no interest even trying to look for it. I didn't put it where I wanted it that time! I've got another Pro in the mail right now. Great disc.

I've only thrown it in Pro. I've come to like Pro plastic the best overall for it's grip and glide, though my bag is mixed with all types depending on the disc.

If you have the arm for them, dx and pro destroyers are some of the longest discs on the market, with a great combination of speed and glide. I love throwing a pro destroyer for distance, but I think the dx beat up a little too quick in that fast of a disc. The star and champ destroyers are more overstable and don't have as much glide.

I was lured under the same spell, by throwing a nicely seasoned Star 169 and agree with your comments. But not all Destroyers are created equal.

The Pro is nice out of the box, close to a beat in Star. They are nice and glidey. I have one that is newish and one that is beat in. Pro will get understable after a few beatings making it nice for tailwinds and long turnover drives.

They are more stable in Champion and some of the new Stars are borderline overstable.

I'm not a fan of DX in wide rimmed drivers....legend has it they get flippy really fast. So I would recommend a Pro to backup your Star and a new Star, which will handle headwind and hyzer bombs. This is a disc where different plastics and molding differences can play into your favor, as you can cover the stability range with one mold.

Not to hate on the Roy, but check out the Echo Star Boss. I try to look at it like it is more of a Wraith/Roy Hybrid that moves at the speed of a Boss. The disc literally works better the more you mash on it! As the line it is capable of holding is fairly rediculous for a disc that is considered a boss.

I looked for a second and didn't see any threads on Destroyers on the first page.

I love mine. I got a 172g Star that is beat in perfectly, with a laser straight beginning and that predictable fade at the end. It convinced me to pick another Star yesterday.

I was at the shop and noticed that the destroyer was made in practically all of the Innova plastics. I was wondering what were people's opinions on the pro, champ, and dx plastics. I love the mold so much I want to try them all.

i swear by destroyers. I carry 3 in various weights and beat in preferences. Each handles like a completely different disc.
169 Star Destoyer - A year later, its now slowly becoming a "stiff" wraith. Still my overstable driver and great FH disc.
172 Champion Destroyer - Fairly Beat in. It's my version of a Katana, but more reliable, unless it hits a headwind.....
175 Champion Destoyer - New, and heavy (for me)... fairly straight, and very wind resistant. The lost distance adds control.

i've tried all plastics......
Pro: As a short fix and good way to test out a new mold, i'd recommend it highly. It does tend to start out "closer" to a beat in Destroyer.
Star: I used to love this plastic, but the slow steady wear kinda got to me.... It starts out overstable, 2 months later it gets "close" to perfect, then 2 months later it's "just a tad bit understable", etc...
Champion: this is my new preferred plastic. Once it hits its "broken in point" it tends to stay there for a long time, until a fast dramatic decline.
DX: Anything you need to throw this hard seems like a waste as it's inevitable that it will hit a tree and be completely changed almost immediately.

Unlike some discs, this is one that you can go a touch heavier than your regular weight and not see much of a decline, in fact, it might help you as it takes an arm of Thor to out muscle a destroyer and flip one.

I throw a Pro and a Star. The Star is more overstable than the Pro by quite a bit. The Pro seems to stay straight longer with a predictable fade finish right out of the box so it goes longer. I use the star for more spike hyzer shots. I also play at a much higher altitude which seems to make a big difference since I was occasionally flipping the Star Destroyer down at sea level

Last edited:
I use a pro and a beat star for "straight" shots in major headwind...and spike hyzers.

my champ x-out destroyer throws like an overstable champ boss, meh

my friends pro destroyer flys like it's an entirely different disc. straight forever with a hard fade at the end. had one of my farthest throws with that disc. i need to get one of my own

I'm very much a fine of pro destroyers. Glide forever right out of the box and work well for a non-turnover hyzer flip shot for me. The best flight I've ever gotten from a destroyer was a 175 DX Destroyer but, like others have said, it beats up too quickly. It was perfect one day and then REALLY understable the next without much in between.

I'm very much a fine of pro destroyers. Glide forever right out of the box and work well for a non-turnover hyzer flip shot for me. The best flight I've ever gotten from a destroyer was a 175 DX Destroyer but, like others have said, it beats up too quickly. It was perfect one day and then REALLY understable the next without much in between.

my experience as well

I love the Star Echo destroyers

Gonna try a pro one out

It's weird hearing everyone say that their Star/Champ Destroyers are more overstable than their Pro Destroyers. It's the opposite for me. I have not really beat in the Pro yet because I rarely throw it since its is shorter and more overstable than both my Star and Champ Destroyers.

I'm a fan of the Star Destroyers. For as much as people hate the DX ones for durability issues, I couldn't let myself buy a pro one. I had Pro Katanas and Bosses before I joined this forum and learned how to "do it right" when it comes to discs/throwing. They're now since lost and eaten alive. I picked up a bottom stamped, max weight eco star at a tournament and I threw it enough to start the beat down this summer. It's quite the stable to overstable flier and it's epically domey.

What's all the whoopin' and hollerin about, boy. How far you throwing them?