• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] The Legacy Outlaw

In his in the bag he stated it was going to be more along the lines of a Wraith, which I can get behind.

^ Not quite. In the in the bag vid Steve said he would be taking his wraiths out of his bag once the outlaw is released... He did not say the outlaw flies "more like a wraith". He doesn't have destros in the bag and is planning to replace his current long-but-not-max driver (wraith) with the Outlaw.

Not trying to troll or anything but this is how rumors get started.

Yeah the way I took that video was he was just replacing the Wraith with the Outlaw. The Wraith and Destroyer cover a lot of the same shots.

^ Not quite. In the in the bag vid Steve said he would be taking his wraiths out of his bag once the outlaw is released... He did not say the outlaw flies "more like a wraith". He doesn't have destros in the bag and is planning to replace his current long-but-not-max driver (wraith) with the Outlaw.

Not trying to troll or anything but this is how rumors get started.

I guess I don't know how else you would take him saying he is taking Wraith's out of his bag when the Outlaw is released. If the Outlaw didn't fly like a Wraith, why would he replace it with such? Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

The wraith is a slightly slower destroyer, if the Outlaw can replace a wraith but it has a higher speed rim, then its going to be very close to a destroyer-like flight.

414, your comment above suggests that the Outlaw will be "more like a wraith" than a destroyer. Rico never said that. Definitely cut and dry, you are right about that part.

So him saying that the Outlaw will replace his Wraiths doesn't mean he thinks they are Wraith like? Ok.

So him saying that the Outlaw will replace his Wraiths doesn't mean he thinks they are Wraith like? Ok.

Destroyers are Wraith like. Little bit slower.

We already have the specs and the rim is close to a Destroyer, 12 speed. So yeah it would make sense that he could replace his Wraiths with something a tiny bit faster.

Professional levels players, especially elite ones, can control the speed and nose angles of a disc with ease. This means most discs that are within 1-2 speed of each other(on an arbitrary scale) can be powered up/down without significant differences. We won't know what the production Outlaw will fly like until they release it. I wouldn't get worked up in whether it is a wraith or destroyer. It sounds like is designed to a workhorse distance driver - something the Wraith and Destroyer both fit.

do you think he really has the power to throw something faster than a wraith with the same control?

Seriously? Do we think the #15 rated player in the world has the power to throw something faster than a speed 11 with the same control? Hell yes, he's got plenty of power to control a speed 12 driver just as well as a speed 11. Most pros at his level don't throw speed 11 drivers at all because speed 11 drivers can't handle their level of power, so it's unusual Steve would be throwing Wraiths at all. He's probably just been throwing them for a really long time and is comfortable with them. I don't think control at that speed is an issue for him.

Most pros at his level don't throw speed 11 drivers at all because speed 11 drivers can't handle their level of power, so it's unusual Steve would be throwing Wraiths at all.

wut.

How can he throw Rocs Ghosts 400' if a 2.1cm rimmed driver can't handle his power?

I made a couple mistakes on this thread yesterday.

The mistakes were:

1. Reading the thread
2. Commenting on the thread

wut.

How can he throw Rocs Ghosts 400' if a 2.1cm rimmed driver can't handle his power?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about mids. I meant it's unusual to see a top pro throwing speed 11 drivers because most of them throw speed 12 or 13 drivers for distance, so there would be too much overlap there. Speed 11 discs can't really handle their distance needs on a big rip because they can't handle that level of power. The question was asked whether Steve had the power to throw a speed 12 with the same control as a speed 11 and I think he obviously does.

I guess Steve is unusual because he throws Cannons for max D, so maybe the Wraiths are more control drivers for him. There is a big enough gap between a 2.1 cm Wraith and 2.5 cm Cannon to be justified in carrying both. Makes me wonder if the Outlaw with a 2.3 cm rim will replace both in his bag, although he didn't say anything about removing the Cannons. The Cannon should be quite a bit less stable than the Outlaw when you get them both up to speed though so they'll probably just be useful for different shots.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about mids. I meant it's unusual to see a top pro throwing speed 11 drivers because most of them throw speed 12 or 13 drivers for distance, so there would be too much overlap there. Speed 11 discs can't really handle their distance needs on a big rip because they can't handle that level of power. The question was asked whether Steve had the power to throw a speed 12 with the same control as a speed 11 and I think he obviously does.

McBeth throws both Kraits (speed 11) & Destroyers (speed 12) - I'm still having difficulty following your arguement.

It always makes me laugh about the wraith vs destroyer argument. How much farther can people really throw a destroyer than a wraith, top pros even? Like 20 ft maybe? Wraiths bomb and bomb far. Steve brinster uses wraiths, ken climo uses wraiths, Steve Rico uses wraiths. I use wraiths as well, though I can't clear 400 with no wind. There are some beefy wraiths just as there are some beefy destroyers.

I guess Steve is unusual because he throws Cannons for max D, so maybe the Wraiths are more control drivers for him. There is a big enough gap between a 2.1 cm Wraith and 2.5 cm Cannon to be justified in carrying both. Makes me wonder if the Outlaw with a 2.3 cm rim will replace both in his bag, although he didn't say anything about removing the Cannons. The Cannon should be quite a bit less stable than the Outlaw when you get them both up to speed though so they'll probably just be useful for different shots.

Let me put a scenario out there and picture it in your mind. Steve Rico is playing La Mirada. He comes up to a hole that plays 440'. It's a bit downhill but directly into the wind. Instead of powering down a Cannon or Rampage....he throws an Outlaw (the new Legacy disc not in production yet). He can throw the Outlaw 80% power and get there. Would you rather throw 80% power or power down something and risk not committing 100% and sawing it off a bit to the left possibly leaving him in the junk or giving him a hard upshot. I don't know about you but I think Steve would rather throw 80% power and get there instead of risking flubbing it a bit. And I'm not saying that Steve would flub it but it does happen to the best of the best.

That being said, pro's throw what they think can get them to the basket the easiest way possible. So if that means throwing a Wraith then they throw the Wraith.

Last edited: